Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

The good, the bad and the ugly- Remote ID Proposal PRM

A demo with few details and a sales pitch by the presumed USS operators.
The claim is pretty much rainbows and unicorns of course.

With the USS network scheme, how about those wanting to monitor the database, LLE or joe-public could pay a fee to access the USS data. Operators would not be charged?

Notice the RC airplane operator just needs to download an app and they qualify for the Limited category. (it appears)

This seems to me to be LAANC with the app allowing you to draw the flight plan on a map, include altitude and user information, and get an immediate yea or nay on flight authorization. This is totally NOT what the FAA is proposing.

This seems to me to be LAANC with the app allowing you to draw the flight plan on a map, include altitude and user information, and get an immediate yea or nay on flight authorization. This is totally NOT what the FAA is proposing.

I believe what they were demonstrating in the video is how the Limited RID scheme would work. Not, a replacement for LAANC. They may have been playing with how the Standard scheme would work too, but it was very weak on detail so who really knows.

Anyone care to dumb all of this down? Sounds like none of our current drones will be qualified to operate commercially beginning 36 months after the passing of these proposed rules -- unless some form of transponder hardware can be easily added to the craft that emits specific geo and serial information (which I think is pretty unlikely). I feel for those who own and operate multiple UAVs as part of their business, if I interpret this correctly.
I think this presents an opportunity for some smart Electronics Engineer. Since all or at least most of the telemetry is already transmitted/exchanged between the quad and remote, I wonder if an after market add-on could be designed. I think of something like the Lume Strobe form-factor.

Reactions: 2edgesword
I think this presents an opportunity for some smart Electronics Engineer. Since all or at least most of the telemetry is already transmitted/exchanged between the quad and remote, I wonder if an after market add-on could be designed. I think of something like the Lume Strobe form-factor.
These devices are already being designed. More than likely that they will be in the form of a USB dongle similar to what you would see with the keyboard. Others look like standard electronics that you would put in a recreational aircraft that plug directly into the receiver.

I'm wondering if the FAA would allow something that could easily be removed from one drone and attached to another. That said if one of these smart engineers could come up with something in the Lume Cube form factor and approved by the FAA costing under $200-$300 I'm sure there would be significant demand. I'd much rather spend a few hundred on making my Mavic Pro and Anafi compliant versus spending a couple thousand buying two new drones.

Reactions: dronecyclops
I'm wondering if the FAA would allow something that could easily be removed from one drone and attached to another. That said if one of these smart engineers could come up with something in the Lume Cube form factor and approved by the FAA costing under $200-$300 I'm sure there would be significant demand. I'd much rather spend a few hundred on making my Mavic Pro and Anafi compliant versus spending a couple thousand buying two new drones.
That' what I thought to would be great for me but figured it wont work very well for anybody that flies a fleet ( the big guys)

Reactions: 2edgesword
60 days open comment...

from there it's a question mark because it depends on how "seriously" they take the comments. If they toss them out the window then the wheels could start rolling later this year. If they create a new NPRM then the process starts all over again (60 day comment period...)..

Either way it's estimated we are looking at least a 3 year window to this being REAL and then the actual requirements of it going into effect sometime after that. Remember there will be a lot of infrastructure needed to make this happen and that will take time.
Thanks Al. We are in the middle of buying a new M2ED for fire and not sure what to do.......

Reactions: BigAl07
Good reading...
"The FAA published on December 31 a detailed and long-awaited proposal to create a system to track and manage every flight by millions of drones, and many stakeholders responded swiftly: The online document logged more than 100,000 views and 1,000 comments within three days of its publication. "

I posted a comment, everyone should.

"The FAA published on December 31 a detailed and long-awaited proposal to create a system to track and manage every flight by millions of drones, and many stakeholders responded swiftly: The online document logged more than 100,000 views and 1,000 comments within three days of its publication. "

I posted a comment, everyone should.
Now that’s interesting......Here’s some of the main points, should you elect not to read it all.

• The FAA seeks to require all drones larger than 0.55 pounds (250 grams) to be individually registered and to broadcast identifying information in order to fly in most locations;
  • The FAA has made clear that Remote Identification (RID) is a prerequisite for a long list of advanced operations being allowed without waivers, including routine drone flights at night, over people, and beyond the remote pilot’s line of sight;
  • A system to track and remotely identify drones is the key to creating a new unmanned aircraft traffic management (UTM) system, and the details of exactly how this new system is implemented remain to be decided. The FAA is leaving much of this to private industry, creating performance standards without dictating how they are achieved;
  • Nothing is going to change soon: The proposed rulemaking calls for various requirements to be phased in over three years, and the details, including that timing, can still be changed prior to publishing of the final rule;
  • With very few exceptions, the FAA proposes that virtually every unmanned aircraft in the airspace (at any altitude) must be quickly identifiable by other users, and law enforcement, which will have access to the pilot’s location information as well as the aircraft’s location. Those unable or unwilling to participate, no matter what credentials the operator may hold, will be relegated to flying only in federally approved, designated areas called FAA-recognized identification areas (FRIA). (The FAA expects existing locations designated for flying traditional radio-controlled model aircraft will be among the first FRIAs approved.)

Thanks Luis!

Also, the AMA has a few videos on youtube....

Last edited:
Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
And,

That was a good listen. They got it pretty accurate and they explained it very well. I do think they missed a couple of key points but the way the NPRM is written it's a wonder anyone can fully digest it. Thank goodness we have those smarter than us to help guide us and explain some of the more technical points.

Reactions: JDSimpson
Apparently DJI is NOT in favor of the USS element and has promoted live broadcast RID, which most of their craft already have. Good on them !

In 2016 the FAA invites 74 industry representatives to come up with a workable Remote ID solution. The Remote ID Aviation Rulemaking Committee (ARC) comes up with a proposal for a system (actually two options) that would be free for drone and r/c aircraft operators. And what does the FAA do? Why, propose a privatized system that will require the installation of additional hardware and a paid subscription service that will make select service providers a lot of money, of course.

I suspect things are going to get rather loud over the next two months as individuals and user groups/organizations wade in on this one.

Apparently DJI is NOT in favor of the USS element and has promoted live broadcast RID, which most of their craft already have. Good on them !

In their white paper on the issue of remote ID written back in 2017 they were against a network system (USS) for security and privacy reasons. They also felt that it could be done existing technology already in place and would be the quickest route to getting remote ID realized. I guess the FAA didn't listen.

Reactions: Dave Pitman
I like how the flite test guys keep everything so positive. I love the idea of including pictures of fun, safe aerial activities that could be stamped out or severely restricted by the proposed rule. I'm sitting here spending pretty much the entire morning crafting my own comments to the FAA proposed rule. Meanwhile my daughter is busy competing today in a "Science Olympiad" event that includes several model airplane categories.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM