Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

The Madness has started and the FBI is on the hunt

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. And, given the $20,000 fine imposed on the California tourist who let his drone land at KLAS, it looks like the FAA has moved beyond the "education and compliance" phase.

My apologies for digressing, but IMHO it's also time to close some of the compliance loopholes. Top of the list should be mandatory point-of-purchase registration of all sUAS over .55 lbs. (Yes, I've heard the argument that some retailers will stop selling drones to avoid the hassle: let them. There will be enough sellers who stay in the game - if a POP reg. is applied evenly to all.) Next, the FAA needs to modify the current Remote ID rule proposal to reflect the recommendations of its own advisory committee. Specifically, adopt a RID system that minimizes cost to the end user (and thus promotes compliance) and drop the proposal for a pay-to-play system that seems designed to enrich third party "service providers" while stifling the sUAS community - hobbyist and professional alike.

Earnest,
I mentioned that in my response to the NPRM. Requiring registration at the POS is the best way to ensure compliance. Another is the FAA should enforce its regulations. They are why we are at this point right now because of their lack of compliance. As far as the SuperBowl TFR is concerned, I have not idea why it was extended to the extent that it was nor why it went into effect roughly five days before the event (but yes, I'm sure it was to sweep the area and set up the necessary security for the event). It did, it was and it was disseminated to the public and that was what mattered. The fact that people chose to ignore the TFR; well, there is no sympathy here.

Reactions: BigAl07
Before We chant for his head on a platter. How about we examine the TFR itself. I DO AGREE that violating TFR is foolish and I do not condone breaking the law. So, how about we start a new debate. How big and what duration is reasonable for Superbowl TFR? Why was the TFR in place on Wednesday 17 miles away from the stadium, and the game is not until Sunday? This seems like a power grab IMO. 17 miles from the stadium? 5 days prior to the event? Maybe there is an explanation that I am missing. Anyone?
P.S. I'm new on this forum, but I have been flying commercially 3 years. Glad to be here.

You do understand these TFR's are not new and they are for more than "just" our UAS? The reason for the TFR doesn't matter in the least. We abide by the rules regardless of the reasons they are put into place. I can tell you from first hand experience that TFR's are not approved randomly and easily.

The teams arrive days in advance and some VIP as well. The mere fact that this knuckle head was busted by the TFR in advance gives even more reason to have them in place for such actions.

I’ve never been to a Super Bowl....but I have done NHL All Star Game....and like the Super Bowl it’s several days, almost a week, of activities and gatherings, events and such. The actual game is a small part if it time wise. There’s exhibitions, skills contests, fun games....a week of experience. Not everything happens at the stadium either, so they just slap a TFR over the general area for a week and be done with it.

Before We chant for his head on a platter. How about we examine the TFR itself. I DO AGREE that violating TFR is foolish and I do not condone breaking the law. So, how about we start a new debate. How big and what duration is reasonable for Superbowl TFR? Why was the TFR in place on Wednesday 17 miles away from the stadium, and the game is not until Sunday? This seems like a power grab IMO. 17 miles from the stadium? 5 days prior to the event? Maybe there is an explanation that I am missing. Anyone?
P.S. I'm new on this forum, but I have been flying commercially 3 years. Glad to be here.
As others have pointed out, the Super Bowl is preceded by nearly a week of football-related events and celebrations involving massive numbers of visitors (what some post-9/11 bad actors might call "soft targets") - thus the extended TFR. (Not "over reach" by any means.) That this guy apparently told the FBI that he deliberately modified his drone to thwart the TFR "No Fly Zone" simply makes his offense more egregious and less defensible.

I also suspect that we'll hear more about TFR violations and prosecutions, since the FBI is apparently reporting that there were a total of 77 drone incidents, four of which resulting in sUAS confiscations by authorities. (It's also worth noting that the reported penalty, if convicted, could be a year in federal prison and up to $30,000 fine.)

It's important to note that most FAA/UAS Operator interactions go un-noted. Unless the media happens to get wind of it they happen quietly. Many more happen than John Q. Public know about. I'm not saying that's good or right but it's fact.

Just like many of us have no idea how many "Ramp Checks" result in some type of corrective actions. Same as UAS infractions.

You do understand these TFR's are not new and they are for more than "just" our UAS? The reason for the TFR doesn't matter in the least. We abide by the rules regardless of the reasons they are put into place. I can tell you from first hand experience that TFR's are not approved randomly and easily.

The teams arrive days in advance and some VIP as well. The mere fact that this knuckle head was busted by the TFR in advance gives even more reason to have them in place for such actions.
Yes I understand what a TFR is. I also very clearly stated in my post that I do not agree with breaking the law and we should always follow them. And no one suggested random or easy TFR approval. Per usual, your post comes off as somewhat hostile.
Thank you to the other two gentleman for clearly answering my question in a calm and informative manner. I am better informed now from new perspectives which is why we're here.

...That this guy apparently told the FBI that he deliberately modified his drone to thwart the TFR "No Fly Zone" simply makes his offense more egregious and less defensible...

This is the KEY point....he had to intentionally defeat the system that was restricting flight. This proves knowledge and intent. There is no defense, nor should there be. Pleading “Not Guilty” would be a further insult to the whole system and responsible operators. If he stands up and admits it, takes responsibility and shows remorse, I’d be okay with probation and Deferred Adjudication. If he fights it, then no mercy whatsoever.

There was a lot of other activities going on that week. This is a screen shot of the tfr for that wenesday. The bright red spot was the active and the orange was the soon to be active. Seems he was in the red or current active tfr at the time.

Attachments

• E4DE18F2-B251-4397-A2A7-FA1EEC6B9A2A.jpeg
    E4DE18F2-B251-4397-A2A7-FA1EEC6B9A2A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Reactions: DallasDroneGuy
Yes I understand what a TFR is. I also very clearly stated in my post that I do not agree with breaking the law and we should always follow them. And no one suggested random or easy TFR approval. Per usual, your post comes off as somewhat hostile.
Thank you to the other two gentleman for clearly answering my question in a calm and informative manner. I am better informed now from new perspectives which is why we're here.

First let me apologize if that came off as hostile. No hostility was implied what so ever. I'm pretty good about adding "emotion" to my posts when needed. Sometimes "typed text" is hard to get a feel for the OP's true feeling but I an assure you I usually go out of my way to make sure any emotion is clearly understood in my typing.

I read and understand clearly what @BigAl07 said. I see nothing hostile in his post, factual and to the point yes.

Even that can not properly be construed as hostile unless you add all caps. Red alone only makes the case for color blindness...;-)
Sorry but you don’t know BigA like I do. He says something
in Red Ink he normally is very serious and I said that in a humorous way. Sorry I went off topic. :)

Reactions: BigAl07
Sorry but you don’t know BigA like I do. He says something
in Red Ink he normally is very serious and I said that in a humorous way. Sorry I went off topic. :)
Nailed it!! ^^^^^^^

Yea if I resort to Red Ink (which will usually also be in BOLD and possibly All CAPS), I'm going out of my way to make sure the recipient understands I'm not just playing around.

Back on track...

The Super Bowl TFR (Special Event TFR) has been the way it was this year for many years now. Nothing was "increased" just because of potential UAS activity. The TFR is for all aircraft but we happen to be focused on our small slice of the pie called UAS.

Reactions: dirkclod
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. And, given the $20,000 fine imposed on the California tourist who let his drone land at KLAS, it looks like the FAA has moved beyond the "education and compliance" phase.

My apologies for digressing, but IMHO it's also time to close some of the compliance loopholes. Top of the list should be mandatory point-of-purchase registration of all sUAS over .55 lbs. (Yes, I've heard the argument that some retailers will stop selling drones to avoid the hassle: let them. There will be enough sellers who stay in the game - if a POP reg. is applied evenly to all.) Next, the FAA needs to modify the current Remote ID rule proposal to reflect the recommendations of its own advisory committee. Specifically, adopt a RID system that minimizes cost to the end user (and thus promotes compliance) and drop the proposal for a pay-to-play system that seems designed to enrich third party "service providers" while stifling the sUAS community - hobbyist and professional alike.
DITTO From me...I just completed sending my comments to FAA about my thoughts. EVERYBODY who is a shareholder (US) need to tell them our opinion. Yeah, Yeah...I know..."for what that's worth" but these new rules are gonna run off a lot of potentially good pilots and if you don't wann be paying for all of this new tech....let 'em know...'Nuf said!

I DON'T know, but things to consider, VIPs and Secret Service needs, TFRs are for ALL aircraft, manned or unmanned. Pilots don't get to violate the rules and then cry foul. And yes, I do want his head on a platter, silver preferably. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM