Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

The official DJI phantom vs BlackHawk findings

maybe I missed it, but they clearly state the drone was out of line of site, an infraction, but I do not see mention of a fine

This from the report says it all>

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this incident to be:

The failure of the sUAS pilot to see and avoid the helicopter due to his intentional flight beyond visual line of sight. Contributing to the incident was the sUAS pilot's incomplete knowledge of the regulations and safe operating practices.

That report is just that, it will now be up to a court to decide the punishment. The report will be used as evidence in the court case.

Make you want to tag a few people running those ridiculous wifi amplified drones going for miles away range for the thrill of it. I personally don't know how people trust expensive gear out of their site. But then again, a lot of what is flying out there now is not all that expensive

Make you want to tag a few people running those ridiculous wifi amplified drones going for miles away range for the thrill of it. I personally don't know how people trust expensive gear out of their site. But then again, a lot of what is flying out there now is not all that expensive
Exactly why we have doltish people flying, cheap thrills!

I think a lot of this comes from the fact that they have not experienced what can go wrong - a lot like a child sticking a screwdriver into a wall socket.

I grew up close to where that happened. Several helicopter corridors and always very crowded. If it made a difference the guy was a Russian immigrant and spoke little english

His being from another country doesn't make a difference, he seems to be an adult (debatable I know). But if I went to another country and flew a drone in a crowded airspace and claimed that I could not speak the language would I be okay?

His being from another country doesn't make a difference, he seems to be an adult (debatable I know). But if I went to another country and flew a drone in a crowded airspace and claimed that I could not speak the language would I be okay?
No- you would probably be sentenced to death by kabuki.:eek:

It is idiots like this that make all of us look bad and it results in tons of regulations that professional pilots must obey but the knuckleheads ignore.

I think it is up to all of us to get involved and police ourselves. When we are aware of somebody breaking the rules we need to get the FAA or local law enforcement involved. If they decide not to take action, then it's on them not us.

"The drone you save may be your own"

Okay, getting off my soapbox now.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Yeah I remember that story. So that is how that one turned out.
Where were the FAA fines we keep hearing about?

A dated article but here's a few

Like mentioned in the other thread, most of those are before Part 107 (June 2016) and most involved an incident of some kind. For the most part, if there is no incident, there is no FAA involvement even if they have proof of misconduct. It's just the way it is right now.

So basically if unless the infractions come to them they are not doing anything.
Most of these would count on the pilot to file them no?

Primary FAA focus at this time is education and correction through warnings, rather than seizing your business and house with astronomical fines. They don't have the resources for much else, unless something really egregious happens, or you are a repeat offender. They have far bigger fish to fry, involving real airplane crashes!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM