Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Thermal certificate

JohnnyD913

Reaction score
Hey guys I recently passed the 107 and now I have my own business..
If I want to get paid using Mavic enterprise dual do I have to get some kinda cert. for thermal flying?

It would make your reports have more weight and have a better understanding of Thermography. But the duel is only 160x120. Unless you are really flying close to detect anomalies, it may be challenging to capture crisp qualitative thermograms. If you are serious about it, you’d want something that’s at least 336x256 and up. Won’t hurt your pocket as much.

@JohnnyD913 No, you don't need a "certification" to fly your thermal aircraft, but to advertise and utilize the tools of the thermal camera properly, you should look into a course named "Level 1 sUAS Thermography" given by ITC (Infrared Training Center). A legit course for learning thermal imagery from any school will cost you a couple of dollars. ITC is $2000 for 3 year certification.

Totally agree with you @Armandrone , having the cert does carry more weight when doing reports and yes, you do need to fly a lot closer for detection of anomalies. I use a Parrot Anafi Thermal with the same size sensor as the Mavic Dual. I don't think your Mavic thermal is radiometric though. You will not be able to read thermal data in FLIR software.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyD913
[mention]sUAVe Imagery [/mention] I have my Level 1 sUAS, it’s actually 4 years not 3.. [mention]JohnnyD913 [/mention] When’s it’s close to running out you can just get your Level 2 sUAS or take courses to renew. I believe you need at least 24 credits and or can take a refresh for $800 if I’m not mistaken. Basically for your level 1 it’s 2 weeks full of knowledge crammed into 4 days. You’ll need to take a quiz, test(which both will need 70% or higher) and to complete an field assignment within one month of completing your course to get your official Cert. I really enjoyed it. Bill Schwahn was a great instructor.

Last edited:
Man all u guys are great for helping someone like me BRAND NEW to this..
See I just thought the enterprise was ready.
So if I wanted search and rescue I need to be able to “SEE” at night and far away right?
I should stick with the inspire2 and it’s thermal camera options?

really Ineed the courses to better understand what it is I wanna do huh?
Lol.
Duhhhhhh...
I thank u guys for being so helpful before I dumped a lot of cash on a product that wasn’t really up to standards..

gonna our the thermal business on hold until I’m better prepared for what applications I want..

thanks again

Don't buy the wrong equipment. If you have not already purchased a drone, learn the technology and the different products out there. For instance, the Mavic Enterprise was developed for EMS quick deploy. It has a Lepton sensor, that does NOT store any Radiometric data, so you can perform any post processing tuning. Not suitable for any Commercial application I can think of.

Don't buy the wrong equipment. If you have not already purchased a drone, learn the technology and the different products out there. For instance, the Mavic Enterprise was developed for EMS quick deploy. It has a Lepton sensor, that does NOT store any Radiometric data, so you can perform any post processing tuning. Not suitable for any Commercial application I can think of.
Thank u.
No I haven’t purchased yet.
Sounds like enterprise is only for small search and rescue and that’s it..
Very small at that..

Feel free to PM me. Glad to share my mistakes with you. Save you lots of time and $$
Treelineview,
That I will do.. thank u more than u know..
U know I just recently passed 107 and as with many want I to embark on a venture..
?
All my life I have jumped into things headfirst and usually that meant disastrous results..
Thank u for ur time and help

Reactions: JimD
Where do you go to sign up for the Thermal classes? Are there on line certifications or are they class instruction?
I have the xt but not the xt R. But I think there was a way to get temperatures from it. Are the classes 4 days of solid instruction?

So my present mission might be trying to locate a deer that didn't get hit very well. I tracked him into a large impassable cattail swamp of 5 to 10 acres. I wonder how long a dead deer is visible on thermal? Has anybody tried to thermally track an animal like that?

I use ITCTraining which is Flir's training division. There are others out there. I would recommend in person if possible. They have some free basic Thermography classes if you sign up for a free account. I attended the sUAS Aerial Thermal Cert class. Have also attending the roofing class and am waiting on the Level II Aerial coming out soon. It is NOT for beginners. IMHO. It covers all the concepts from Start to finish, but you have to have some basic background with Thermal dynamics. @Outts Control gave me some great advice a couple years ago when I was about to attend. He relayed the same information I am. it is not a start to finish for folks with no knowledge. As a result, I paused my class for 6 months, bought a C2 handheld from Flir. Took hundreds of Thermograms of anything and everything around my house. Used the free Flir Tools app and learned how to Thermally tune and understand what I was looking at. I then took the class and got much more out of it. there were some in my class that had no previous knowledge. They had trouble following along. This is a science, not a simple class with a cert. If you are willing to invest the time gaining experience, knowledge and background, you will be confident providing analysis and summaries to your Clients and can make money.

As for tracking animals. The biggest question is what are the environment variables? Like Delta T. The greater the difference between your SOI and the background, the longer you will have an opportunity see the target. If it's 30 degrees out, one scenario, and this is only a guess, is you could possibly successfully identify the SOI for hours. The closer the deer gets to the background temp, the less likely you will be able to identify it. 10 degrees between subject and background I would guess would be fairly easy to see if in plain view.

Your Xt sensor does hold temp values, but only the 40 percent around the center of the image.

Reactions: Erhin
[mention]sUAVe Imagery [/mention] I have my Level 1 sUAS, it’s actually 4 years not 3.. [mention]JohnnyD913 [/mention] When’s it’s close to running out you can just get your Level 2 sUAS or take courses to renew. I believe you need at least 24 credits and or can take a refresh for $800 if I’m not mistaken. Basically for your level 1 it’s 2 weeks full of knowledge crammed into 4 days. You’ll need to take a quiz, test(which both will need 70% or higher) and to complete an field assignment within one month of completing your course to get your official Cert. I really enjoyed it. Bill Schwahn was a great instructor.
Did you take the on line course or in person?

I live in Ma, so I am near their Word headquarters in Nashua, NH. Took it in person. I have since taken their roofing class online. It is a shorter class and OK, but I would definitely try to do it in person if possible. You will get much more out of the class being able to interact and network with others in the class, MHO

I live in Ma, so I am near their Word headquarters in Nashua, NH. Took it in person. I have since taken their roofing class online. It is a shorter class and OK, but I would definitely try to do it in person if possible. You will get much more out of the class being able to interact and network with others in the class, MHO
Thank you!

@JohnnyD913 ITC is $2000 for 3 year certification.

Just a small correction, I believe it's 4 years and there are a few ways to renew.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143