Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Those who are "processing" your own images (stitching) etc for mapping. . .

Sometimes a topic can bring up a side issue, that is extremely important. It is because of this I placed a disclaimer on my website regarding images that we provide...though I've not been approached by any licensing authority, its just a CYA (as best I can) so there's no mistaking any representation of usability.
If I provide a topographic product, I require a signed form that basically states:

• We are not a licensed surveyor
  • We are not representing the data as accurate to any measure
  • The client is using the data at their own risk
  • Full stop
So far, there has been no pushback from clients with this form. They take the data, prove it to their satisfaction, or not. And use it, or not, accordingly. Simple.

They seem to find the data usable and sufficient and come back again ! :p

This conversation has proven VERY helpful and to be honest saved me some $$ (MapsMadeEasy subscription).

I'm bidding several mapping jobs and have several feelers out there in the industry so hopefully we can maintain our recent momentum and maybe grow it some too going into 2022 :)

Al, please keep us up to date on how this progresses. In Washington, I was initially (2015) bombarded by the Surveyor's Assoc. but after studying our state regs and standing my ground, they have let up. Since then I've actually supplied data to lic'd surveyors. Hopefully common sense rather than market protection and greed will prevail in NC.
I find it interesting that a person or organization thinks they can commandeer the use of a noun or a verb of the English language (ie: SURVEY or SURVEYOR) and arbitrarily proclaim that no one else can use it. Changing the language and mandating you comply.... sound familiar? Sincerely, Vlad Lenin.

Reactions: R Martin
My projects recently average between 500 and 900 images so not incredibly large so if they could process over night I'd be golden with that.
WebODM running on Windows. I found that the Processor in the computer is the most important computer, not the Video card. I have an AMD Threadripper, lots of RAM, and it would do your 500-900 images is just a few hours.

Have a look at Spexi. It's another credits-based system, $15 per credit for 100 uploaded images. Not having been near MME or Pix4D for some time, I'm not sure how it stacks up cost-wise.

Reactions: BigAl07
Have a look at Spexi. It's another credits-based system, $15 per credit for 100 uploaded images. Not having been near MME or Pix4D for some time, I'm not sure how it stacks up cost-wise.

Thank you for the suggestion.

With MapsMadeEasy's subscription plan it's a very affordable option for maps now. For comparison (IIRC) my map that was 812 images (est 20mp per image) only cost me about $36 USD through MME. I'd have to go back and look at invoices for the exact amount but that sounds about right.

I'm on a another computer today, ill show you one of my maps, 500 odd images stitched with WebODM and then processed with QGIS if yo want.
Regards

I'm always down for seeing new work :)

I was looking to see what report (analytics etc) are produced from that program.

Allen

I'm on a another computer today, ill show you one of my maps, 500 odd images stitched with WebODM and then processed with QGIS if yo want.
Regards

Good evening. I was just re-reading this thread and realized I had a question and never SENT it to you.

Can you elaborate on the process you used:

WebODM and QGIS. Are they doing the same thing or both processes required to have a final product and report?

Good evening. I was just re-reading this thread and realized I had a question and never SENT it to you.

Can you elaborate on the process you used:

WebODM and QGIS. Are they doing the same thing or both processes required to have a final product and report?
Mate, in a nutshell I use ODM for processing my images and then transfer them to QGIS for developing my maps.
Regards

Reactions: BigAl07
I find it interesting that a person or organization thinks they can commandeer the use of a noun or a verb of the English language (ie: SURVEY or SURVEYOR) and arbitrarily proclaim that no one else can use it. Changing the language and mandating you comply.... sound familiar? Sincerely, Vlad Lenin.
Not really. You can't really represent yourself as an officer of the law or a medical doctor if you're not without some repercussions.
Sincerely,
Mr. Officer Doctor, Esq, MD of Law

• Love
Reactions: JFlamm and BigAl07
Not really. You can't really represent yourself as an officer of the law or a medical doctor if you're not without some repercussions.
Sincerely,
Mr. Officer Doctor, Esq, MD of Law

These "Professional" designations carry a lot of education, experience, and knowledge. It's this way to protect everyone from "wanna-be" professionals doing harm to the public. Same goes with Commercial Pilots etc.

If I provide a topographic product, I require a signed form that basically states:

• We are not a licensed surveyor
  • We are not representing the data as accurate to any measure
  • The client is using the data at their own risk
  • Full stop
So far, there has been no pushback from clients with this form. They take the data, prove it to their satisfaction, or not. And use it, or not, accordingly. Simple.

They seem to find the data usable and sufficient and come back again ! :p
We still have civil engineers designing from the data we provide even though it is watermarked and a disclaimer is on each document. Nine times out of ten it bites them in the backside and they cry, but reading was one of those basic skills taught in engineering school too.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Gcarb63 and BigAl07

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM