Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Time line Construction

A previous planning involves thinking about what the construction will look like when it is finished. Its specific height to determine which are the correct planes. Both in photography and video. I find it very interesting.

Can you please give a practical example of a building, it takes 20 months to build, flight every 2 weeks, I have to make a total of 40 flights. It's an example. I would like, with your experience, for you to comment on a typical work. Then the issue, I know it is controversial but it is to give me an idea and have a reference of what price could be put. I'm not from the USA, so I would have to adapt it, but if I want to offer this service that I think is very interesting, some starting point has to be taken into account. Do you also edit video or compose images?

Many questions, I know, I'm sorry, but I find the topic exciting, I've worked many years in construction.

A previous planning involves thinking about what the construction will look like when it is finished. Its specific height to determine which are the correct planes. Both in photography and video. I find it very interesting.

Can you please give a practical example of a building, it takes 20 months to build, flight every 2 weeks, I have to make a total of 40 flights. It's an example. I would like, with your experience, for you to comment on a typical work. Then the issue, I know it is controversial but it is to give me an idea and have a reference of what price could be put. I'm not from the USA, so I would have to adapt it, but if I want to offer this service that I think is very interesting, some starting point has to be taken into account. Do you also edit video or compose images?

Many questions, I know, I'm sorry, but I find the topic exciting, I've worked many years in construction.

Our "Planning" involves the client, their blueprints, and any "interested parties" such as investors who might use the final product. We sit down and go over the construction site "as-is" and determine not only where the structure will be but also any equipment that might pose a problem in the future such as cranes etc.

On taller projects the process gets more complicated as we will need to make the original flights at or just above ground level and then subsequent flights at construction level.

Edit video/images: This depends entirely on the client and what they need. Some clients (these are my favorite ones) want NO Editing what so ever. I make the flights, inspect my data, and then upload it to my Cloud Service for their download. Other clients want some editing/processing. We charge for whatever we do.

Pricing is a tough one to talk about. I'll suffice by saying we know what it costs to do business by the hour and that's how we charge. We include prepping, coordinating, flying, processing, and delivery into the final package price. We don't work for free/cheap because none of my clients work for free or cheap and our time is valuable. If the client signs up for a long-term contract we do give some price reductions on the package deal.

A very classifying answer. Until you get down to business, you don't take all the factors into account.

Many doubts turn out to be less than one that I understand his no answer.

Thank you very much :)

Reactions: BigAl07
"We don't work for free/cheap"

My son have me some good advice when I was fixing computers cheaply and couldn't figure out why I was getting little work: he said if you don't value yourself, why should others? I doubled my fee to match the others and my workload doubled.

Reactions: BigAl07
Can I ask BigAl - what were you doing before drones and how much of your income is drone-related? (If that's not too intrusive)

Not too intrusive.

I'm still doing my "day job" which is in the IT field which I've been at for 18 years now. My sUAS business exceeds my "day job" by about 20% annually. With my "day job" I have excellent benefits (retirement, insurance, INSURANCE) that I can't afford to lose just yet. There are some weeks where my sUAS work makes my "day job" weekly salary each day.

Do you normally charge per flight or is it best to charge as a package (bi-weekly for 1 year)?

Do you normally charge per flight or is it best to charge as a package (bi-weekly for 1 year)?
My approach and thoughts;
I really think it depends on the size of the business and what they can afford.
It's psychological, if you shoot them a yearly package the numbers are big. Bi-weekly or monthly seems more affordable. Again psychological.
Some companies already have a budget for aerials, newer and smaller companies may not have a budget nor what to pay but would like to have this in their portfolio.

Feel them out, for a contract you may offer them extra video with sound track and stills for their web site?
There are so many ways to market yourself, sell the concept, ROI is usually the bottom line.

Yeah getting stills from the video is a great tip bro!! I grab mine from premiere Pro. Even flying at 20kmph with a shutter speed of 1/250 you can get crissssspy images (using i2 x5s). Unless the purpose of the image is to be blown up (marketing, billboard etc), progress shots don't need to be pin sharp imo lol.

Thanks BigA for your input. Have been driving around close to home and there is a few construction that i will approach soon, Like you I have a day job so is more than a weekend jobs that I need to start sample attached a big subdivision on the making any Ideas which will be my best approach, Thanks DJI_0131.JPG

See if you can find any signs that tell who the construction company is. Then contact them and build a line of communication with them. Sooner the better.

Thanks BigA for your input. Have been driving around close to home and there is a few construction that i will approach soon, Like you I have a day job so is more than a weekend jobs that I need to start sample attached a big subdivision on the making any Ideas which will be my best approach, Thanks View attachment 189
I have a site like this (almost identical in your photo) about a block from my house. I actually posted some questions in another thread about how to approach them, but anyway.
If your site there is anything the one close to me, the GC trailer is right there. I just need to decide on my approach and get my butt over there before the opportunity is gone.

I have a site like this (almost identical in your photo) about a block from my house. I actually posted some questions in another thread about how to approach them, but anyway.
If your site there is anything the one close to me, the GC trailer is right there. I just need to decide on my approach and get my butt over there before the opportunity is gone.
site is in TX

I didnt really assume you were in my area, Im in KS. But the site Ive been watching is in the same stage as your photo, just starting excavation.

i got a pic of equipment with logo to do my pitch but is a small Co. no website just phone # and add,'guess will have to print some pic on low resolution and mail to them,just knock on doors I try dont under charge your first job can be your gold mine in future, good luck and adventure your selft
Mariano

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Premier Drone Services