Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Two Year Re-Testing?

Delta Blue

Reaction score
Website
www.deltablue-birds.com
A question for all you other UAV Part 107 pilots...I took my test late last winter and will need to re qualify if that is the term every 24 months for the license or certificate...so I have more than a year. Have any of you taken that test to extend your pilot qualification yet?

Reactions: rfaaj
I have not seen anything on it, Just passed year one on mine. But will start the retesting study process soon

A question for all you other UAV Part 107 pilots...I took my test late last winter and will need to re qualify if that is the term every 24 months for the license or certificate...so I have more than a year. Have any of you taken that test to extend your pilot qualification yet?

Part 107 became effective August 31, 2016. I took my test September 5th. The first crop of requalifications hasn't happened yet...unless people take it early for some reason...I won't until I need to.

Reactions: rfaaj
I forsee the Feds either allowing you to re-test or do an 8 or 16 hour seminar, that's how it's done for flight instructors and mechanics who hold an Inspection Authorization (IA).

Since we are many months away from the first batch needing to re-test (Aug 30th, 2016 here) no one can fully answer this question.

The FAA does not send "notices" for manned pilots so I would doubt they do this to RPIC.

Hopefully they will let us know that the re-certification process is in the next few months so we can plan for it.

Reactions: Outta Control
I'm also a pilot, well haven't done a bi-annual for some time now. Anyway, if they are anything like a pilots bi-annual it will just be another written test that will include any new rules and changes. As a pilot you also need the medical cert and a check ride with a CFI, you don't need another check ride with an FAA examiner.

Reactions: BigAl07
I don't understand why we have to take the exam again? For PP and so on do you have to pay to take the FAA exam every so often? I was under the impression that you don't.. just have to stay current with flying? So we have to pay the $150 every 2 years for the exam, and then do we get a new license number as well?

I don't understand why we have to take the exam again? For PP and so on do you have to pay to take the FAA exam every so often? I was under the impression that you don't.. just have to stay current with flying? So we have to pay the $150 every 2 years for the exam, and then do we get a new license number as well?

No one really knows what the re-test will be like. It may or may NOT be a complete new test.

For PP we have to go up in the air and show or proficiency and the whole time the CFI is asking questions to make sure you're up to speed on all aspects of aviation. If you fall short in any portion you don't get your BFR. And we have to pay for this each and every time.

No it won't be a new license # if we do take the test again. Your license # will just be renewed (sort of).

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
You will have to re-test every 24 months, I should say before the 24 month period as you certificate expires 24 months from date of issuance. I really doubt that you will receive notice as your certificate has an expiration date. It is my understanding that it will be a written test just as the original test but will concentrate on any new rules, some fundamentals and weather. Time will tell.

I did a flight review just prior to getting my 107, so the next time I have to complete another flight review I'll know my 107 renewal is due.

I'm hoping the FEDs allow some type of one day seminar like they do for CFIs or IAs. It may be another business avenue for 107 holders, especially those who hold pilots' certificates.

I did a flight review just prior to getting my 107, so the next time I have to complete another flight review I'll know my 107 renewal is due.

I'm hoping the FEDs allow some type of one day seminar like they do for CFIs or IAs. It may be another business avenue for 107 holders, especially those who hold pilots' certificates.

That would be nice and I hope so as well. I use Sporty's study buddy remote pilot test prep. I read it when killing time. It is cheap money and covers all of the subject matter. It is updated on a regular basis as well with new questions and answers. I find it very interesting as to the subject matter. Great refresher.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
My 107 license does not have an expiration date, is that the same with yours?
Pilots licenses don't have a expiration date, but you do need a bi-annual from a CFI and your medical obviously. The bi-annual needs to be recorded in your log book.

Ine UK we have to buy the new licence every twelve months. Thank goodness there is no retesting as the first test took a serious lump of cash from me.
Interesting about the PP medical certificate, I had known it was there but I had forgotten. Just wondering why we are not tested At least in vision, hearing, blood pressure and the like. We are supposed to fly VLOS, if we can’t see to well that could be very constraining for some. I guess if you PP folk don’t pass that then the retest is a moot point.

I agree that the option of an 8 or 16 hour seminar would be excellent. It can be a significant expense for some of us that do not live close to a testing facility. As an example, from my location it requires two floatplane and two commercial flights as well as a few nights in motels. Hopefully, we'll find out soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM