Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Underwater Drone?

Nitz

Reaction score
Anyone know of some quality Underwater drones or use an underwater drone?
I got an email from our natural resources group who wanted to know if this was a capability in the market today. We have a few lakes and dams that we manage that they would like to use a drone to get the conditions without needing to send down divers.

Anyone know of some quality Underwater drones or use an underwater drone?
I got an email from our natural resources group who wanted to know if this was a capability in the market today. We have a few lakes and dams that we manage that they would like to use a drone to get the conditions without needing to send down divers.

We've tried the PowerRay which is a nice option and performed well. Going to be using one in 10 days for another project. Will try and post up some content from that.

My local vendor told me about one coming on the market that would probably work for my needs.
the fifish v6. It looks promising for one of our guys to quickly throw it into the water to determine the depth and temp of some deep spots they can't quickly measure.

Seafarers have been measuring depth for 1000 years using a knotted rope. Seems it would not be hard to add a waterproof temp sensor to a sounding line[emoji56]

Seafarers have been measuring depth for 1000 years using a knotted rope. Seems it would not be hard to add a waterproof temp sensor to a sounding line[emoji56]

You also need a camera, problem is most dams run pretty deep. The one that I photograph (on the dry side) is 800 feet. If you had a small drone and got it close to the discharge areas you probably would never see it again. Also it is really too deep for divers and below a hundred feet you can't see anything anyway.

Reactions: PatR
My local vendor told me about one coming on the market that would probably work for my needs.
the fifish v6. It looks promising for one of our guys to quickly throw it into the water to determine the depth and temp of some deep spots they can't quickly measure.
That sounds not innovative at all.....nothing more interesting if this is the only upgrade part....then i would like to buy a different one for sure.....

Need your SPECS to recommend vehicles. Depth, distance, lights, grabbers, cameras (photo/video/ir?), sensor payloads required, data needs (telemetry, wall thickness of metal, etc.).

Is it taking photos, relaying HD video topside, welding, turning bolts, or grabbing things?
The deeper or farther, the more expensive (pressure vessel & cable/tether)

If you're looking for "large debris" (metal? concrete? square groupers?) might want to start with side scan sonar, then send a vehicle down when you get a target.

Hello,
I have an engineering project to complete and the required theme to study is the Ocean.
With a friend, we decided to buy an underwater drone and to customize it so that it can stay at an even distance from the bottom of the sea, or pool, or whatever it will be used on, and that it dodges any obstacles that he encounters.
Thus, we are searching for a working drone that is not too expensive (max 300€, can be stretched to 500 if needed) and that has room inside of it so that we can add a small Arduino card and captors.
As we couldn't find anything that suited us, I was wondering if anyone of you knew where to search, and could advise us on a drone that meets our requirements.
Hoping for a quick response,
Best regards,

Axel Durand-Allizé

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM