Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Up and Coming new drone business in California

Hray09

Reaction score
Hello,

I’m new to this forum and new to the drone business world. I have recently started my business and wanted some insight on the type of jobs I can begin with. I currently have a DJI mini 3 pro to work with. Any information would be greatly appreciated

If you have already started your business, what services are you advertising and offering? Are you Part 107 certified? I would recommend starting out working for an established drone services company to see what jobs are out there and get experience. It's very difficult to start out on your own without having a solid detailed business plan regarding your local market needs, local competitors, their services, pricing, etc. The fact that you have started a business and are asking what type of jobs you can start with honestly indicates you are jumping into this without having any plan at all. No offense, but I can't sugar-coat that. Starting a successful business begins with a well-thought out business plan and research before ever pressing the "Go" button.

Last edited:
If you have already started your business, what services are you advertising and offering? Are you Part 107 certified?
I just recently finished learning how to use WebODM and its features. So my current services I can offer are 3D modeling, DMS, DTM and plant health. Not yet certified for my Part 107.

Sorry, but you can't offer any services without being Part 107 certified. I know, I'm being a Debbie Downer today. My advice would be to spend time just practicing those skills for your own enjoyment to get good at them until you can start a proper and legal commercial business. Or, again, obtain employment with an established drone service for experience - but even for that you will need your 107.

Reactions: Recoveryone
If you have already started your business, what services are you advertising and offering? Are you Part

Sorry, but you can't offer any services without being Part 107 certified. I know, I'm being a Debbie Downer today. My advice would be to spend time just practicing those skills for your own enjoyment to get good at them until you can start a proper and legal commercial business. Or, again, obtain employment with an established drone service for experience - but even for that you will need your 107.
I figured as much that’s why I’m in the process of obtaining the part 107. But once that is completed what would you suggest be the best route to get jobs?

If you just want to wing it without a business plan, just create a website and start contacting companies that may need one of the services you mentioned. Which companies? I wouldn't know. That's where your research begins. Good luck. In the meantime, don't quit your day job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerial
Welcome to the forum.

Be sure to get your Part 107 ASAP otherwise you're operating in the illegal area which isn't a good way to start off.

Here's a post I made on Mavic Pilots what is "similar" to this one:
**** Begin quoted post****
The best way to figure out how to PRICE YOUR BUSINESS is to fully understand YOUR BUSINESS. I've started several businesses and coached several new potential entrepreneurs (coaching a pair right now) and the single best piece of advice I was given and that I pass on is to ALWAYS, 100% of the time, create a detailed and very comprehensive Business Plan. It takes time and lots of research but a solid Business Plan will teach you about YOUR BUSINESS in terms of products/services, competition, market value of your products/services and help you create a solid Marketing Plan right from the start.

Side Note: We did our Business Plan AFTER we started our UAS business (well because, I knew what I was doing LOL) and after the BP was done we realized we weren't charging ENOUGH for local market. Ironically, it seems like because our prices were so low it "looked cheap" to potential clients. We literally DOUBLED our prices and increased our bottom line and within 6 months our calendar became FILLED. We started in 2012 and didn't create the BP until 2 years later but WOW what a difference it makes. Again it takes TIME and EFFORT but once you're done it's worth it's weight in GOLD.
**** End quoted post****

Also, you need to figure out what services you can offer and be good at. You can't "learn on the customer's dime" and you don't want to offer ANY service that you can't do to a very high and professional standard. You only get ONE SHOT to impress them.

Figure out a service you can do and get REALLY good at it. You can't start off "dabbling" in 25 different services because you won't be Professional at any of them.

Also, before you invest too much in your business, make sure there is a Driving NEED for that service in your area. For instance, there are no Wind Turbines where I live so getting certified and experienced in Wind Turbine Inspections would be a complete waste of my time and MONEY!! You can't provide a service is there isn't a NEED.

Good luck :)

I started working for a well-established company in construction documentation. Then I went out on my own. As with any business there is a learning curve. Get you 107 before ever attempting to start your business. BigA and MapMaker gave you great advice.

• Love
Reactions: BigAl07
The low hanging fruit of the drone industry is real estate. If you go out and secure your own jobs you’ll need that 107, however you can also fly under another persons if they have a 107 and are with you when you fly. By the way real estate work can start at $150 per house residential to $1000 or more commercial. And you can capture the images needed with a Mini 3 like you have.

Reactions: BigAl07
That's kinda how I got my start. But more on the commercial side. Make sure to get that 107. That's mandatory if you want to make money with your drone. Here's my site. www.StudioShively.com it has some drone work that I got started with. It's also nice to think of it as a really great additional service you can provide if you do multimedia work. It's an excellent enhancement for your business to use while planning an art project if you can utalize aerial features in your production.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143