Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

What gets someone the good jobs

I have a question; using the average 400mm-500mm multirotor, if, when 2400’ away, both the camera and RTH mode failed, could it be seen well enough to fly it back manually?
I take my I2 out over 2700 feet and see it, just depends how good your distance vision is. I once had 20/10 vision and could spot a para scope almost a mile away. So trying to figure out the distance one can see their drone is totally dependent on the size of the drone and pilots vision.

What Pat is getting at is not just seeing a dot in the sky, but seeing it well enough to determine the attitude and orientation so it can be flown back if needed. If you can indeed do that at 2,700 feet with an I2 then my hat is off to you!!

What Pat is getting at is not just seeing a dot in the sky, but seeing it well enough to determine the attitude and orientation so it can be flown back if needed. If you can indeed do that at 2,700 feet with an I2 then my hat is off to you!!

Yes I can, as long as you can determine the direction of flight, you can get the bird back without RTH. You are right, at that distance it is a spot in the sky, if the drone is East of me and traveling North I need to make a 90 degree turn to the west to get it coming home. Situational awareness and knowing how to respond is the key. Where I work I have limited access to certain areas that I need to photograph so sometimes it isn't an option.

Reactions: Phaedrus
I take my I2 out over 2700 feet and see it, just depends how good your distance vision is. I once had 20/10 vision and could spot a para scope almost a mile away. So trying to figure out the distance one can see their drone is totally dependent on the size of the drone and pilots vision.

I’ll be able to see that for myself Monday when I start flying an I2. The guys flying them now tell me that without a good spotter there’s not enough depth perception at 1500’ to be any way safe with it.

Have to agree with RPR about developing a contact network. Without the contacts you might be the best the world has ever known but the odds of hooking up with the $$ jobs will be slim.

In these days of fancy resume’s and ivy league degrees it still comes down to who you know more often than not. Do well for one or more of the right people and others start calling you. Your reputation will precede you.

I’ll be able to see that for myself Monday when I start flying an I2. The guys flying them now tell me that without a good spotter there’s not enough depth perception at 1500’ to be any way safe with it.

You lose depth perception a lot sooner than 1500 feet, I would say more like 750 to 1000 feet you lose it, again depends on the pilots eye sight.

Recently, I’ve added a Yuneec H Plus in my fleet. I have been flying the Typhoon H Plus for 9mos to the date. I really like how it performs specially flying over pipes, rebar, and structural inspections. I really love how the smooth maneuverability of this hex. However, connectivity is this drone’s Achilles heel that it has taught me to pay extra close attention.

Recently, I have done a compass/GPS module relocation, which unleashed my drones range capabilities (I have tested the range up to 3k alt) but most importantly, as I’ve said about connectivity, the Typhoon H Plus made me humble, and patient.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boduku