Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Who is S. Rose on Droners.io?

OldCMSgt

Reaction score
Hello,

Understanding that Droners.IO is mostly populated by bottom feeders in a race to the bottom, I have been placing bids based on what I think the job is worth and ignoring the “budget”.

Because this is a hobby for me, I am ok with getting underbid rather than undervaluing my time.

I keep seeing jobs posted by S. Rose: over 7,400 posts to date. The jobs are all over the U.S. and all seem to have a “budget” of around $100 for “…Just 25 mix of ground/aerial photos. No editing or color correction necessary…”

The “budget” seems VERY low, assuming these jobs would take at least an hour and a half.

So who is S. Rose?

Thanks,
Kevin

Reactions: SarDog1980
25 photos an hour and a half?
You should be able to snap that off in 30 minutes.
I always imagine that S. Rose Is a woman don’t know why but that just came to mind.

I would take those jobs but typically the demand is for like the next day which is difficult for me to schedule.

Full disclosure I’ve never actually been hired there.

Dronersio is the worst of all apps. They expect you to work fo little or nothing. If no one bid maybe they would get the message or just go away.

Reactions: adm_geomatics
Dronersio is the worst of all apps. They expect you to work fo little or nothing. If no one bid maybe they would get the message or just go away.
Lol Well that’s why I’ve never gotten a job from them. I bid what I think the job is worth and no doubt someone under beds me. But 100 bucks for 25 Shots
Short drive I would definitely take.

Reactions: MikeA
Understand that. DroneUp is more legit as well as Drone Base. DroneUp you can get qualified to do the Eagle View Assess program via the Badges program and they equip you with a Skydio 2, full Pro kit.

That is how an operation does it right!

Don’t anyone forget the ***10%***! PrecisionHawk/Droners.io takes off the top no matter the bid! Rock bottom prices skimmed even further. Thumbtack does similar work, though kinda apples to oranges there… I’ve gotten into the habit of charging clients an extra fee when they hire me through one of those platforms, a fee that’s made obvious. I do this not just to cover the added cost to me, but also with a small hope it will incentivize them and others to not use those platforms and contact me directly next time.

S. Rose is indeed Scott Rose of DroneVideos.com

Don’t anyone forget the ***10%***! PrecisionHawk/Droners.io takes off the top no matter the bid! Rock bottom prices skimmed even further. Thumbtack does similar work, though kinda apples to oranges there… I’ve gotten into the habit of charging clients an extra fee when they hire me through one of those platforms, a fee that’s made obvious. I do this not just to cover the added cost to me, but also with a small hope it will incentivize them and others to not use those platforms and contact me directly next time.

S. Rose is indeed Scott Rose of DroneVideos.com
I believe there is also a transfer fee for the money...maybe another 2% or so? I've never gotten a job from DroneUp, even though I have most of their badges, but I did used to do a lot of the Eagle View work when Droners had the contract last year. They kept upping the price every twelve hours until it was enough. I'll do the rock pile estimating mapping stuff from DroneBase, but they had a series of low rent questionable jobs last year that looked like surveillance (if approached by the homeowner...leave jobs which I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot prop.) DroneBase often treats you like you're a twelve year old, which I really don't appreciate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Midsky8778
I believe there is also a transfer fee for the money...maybe another 2% or so? I've never gotten a job from DroneUp, even though I have most of their badges, but I did used to do a lot of the Eagle View work when Droners had the contract last year. They kept upping the price every twelve hours until it was enough. I'll do the rock pile estimating mapping stuff from DroneBase, but they had a series of low rent questionable jobs last year that looked like surveillance (if approached by the homeowner...leave jobs which I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot prop.) DroneBase often treats you like you're a twelve year old, which I really don't appreciate.
Totally agree about Drone Base. They communicate in a very arrogant way at times.

Hello,

Understanding that Droners.IO is mostly populated by bottom feeders in a race to the bottom, I have been placing bids based on what I think the job is worth and ignoring the “budget”.

Because this is a hobby for me, I am ok with getting underbid rather than undervaluing my time.

I keep seeing jobs posted by S. Rose: over 7,400 posts to date. The jobs are all over the U.S. and all seem to have a “budget” of around $100 for “…Just 25 mix of ground/aerial photos. No editing or color correction necessary…”

The “budget” seems VERY low, assuming these jobs would take at least an hour and a half.

So who is S. Rose?

Thanks,
Kevin
Forget droners.io and get on Dronebase. Get their construction and SiteTech certifications. Some of the smaller jobs are ok, but you can get larger construction and facility asbuilts for $250-350. If you're good you can get them done in an hour excluding drive time. Make sure you claim that on your taxes as well.

Have just about every badge Drone Up offers including Eagle View. Didn't see one for Construction and Site Tech?

Thanks, Happy Thanksgiving

Have just about every badge Drone Up offers including Eagle View. Didn't see one for Construction and Site Tech?

Thanks, Happy Thanksgiving
I think you have to do a few missions and be invited. Maybe express your experience and interest in mapping and larger type missions to [email protected] once you have completed a couple of smaller missions... I fly full time for a construction company so Dronebase is just my mad money but once they figured out I was that capable they started throwing all kinds of stuff my way.

Forget droners.io and get on Dronebase. Get their construction and SiteTech certifications. Some of the smaller jobs are ok, but you can get larger construction and facility asbuilts for $250-350. If you're good you can get them done in an hour excluding drive time. Make sure you claim that on your taxes as well.
What was involved to get those certifications?

What was involved to get those certifications?
They send you an invite to a portal and you watch a video/slideshow and complete a short quiz at the end. Honestly to me it is just a disclaimer that they provided you with contract type parameters and the instruction on how specific tasks are performed. I mean the quiz even tells you in real time when you get something wrong and let's you try again, lol. They then give you a test mission that you can perform the tasks given wherever you want. Once you have completed a few missions at the base level they will start sending you more certifications and different types of missions. Another tip is that if a mission comes through with a payout that just doesn't make sense you can decline it and many times it will come back at a better number because they need to meet the deadline of the client. I am probably at the upper end of the scale but in the past 6 months have completed 15 missions and average about $150-160/mission. That's skewed thought because I just did two large ones that were $400 each. Without them it would be about $146/mission. On an hourly basis I would say I am making around $60/hr. I don't think this is a full time job by any means but if you can use it as a supplement, find other services and get some of your own clients you could do pretty well. The nice thing is that if your personal business picks up you're not obligated to the contract services.

Those missions are very location dependent. Haven't seen them around here even after the training and cert. The ones they keep offering me are for roof/lot/facade inspections...a lot of flying for just a little money. The first one I tried said I had to fly it at 0800 on a Saturday in February (still pretty low light). Turned out being 37 acres at 115 feet (32 degrees F too) or about 4 batteries for a little over $100. I've taken a few small ones that were well worth it though. I saw one a few weeks ago that they were offering for $350, but I figured I would need 15 batteries to complete it. Generally though, the ones I find to be the best ones from them are the mapping missions for material measurement. I like those.

Reactions: adm_geomatics
Those missions are very location dependent. Haven't seen them around here even after the training and cert. The ones they keep offering me are for roof/lot/facade inspections...a lot of flying for just a little money. The first one I tried said I had to fly it at 0800 on a Saturday in February (still pretty low light). Turned out being 37 acres at 115 feet (32 degrees F too) or about 4 batteries for a little over $100. I've taken a few small ones that were well worth it though. I saw one a few weeks ago that they were offering for $350, but I figured I would need 15 batteries to complete it. Generally though, the ones I find to be the best ones from them are the mapping missions for material measurement. I like those.
It's definitely a system that you have to learn how to pick and choose but you can be very successful if you can. I've done a couple of 10+ battery missions that I got through really well because in my full time job we average 6-8 batteries each per day so they're really not that big of a deal. They can seem intimidating the first couple of times but you get the flow of their system down. It's all about good planning and efficiency.

It's definitely a system that you have to learn how to pick and choose but you can be very successful if you can. I've done a couple of 10+ battery missions that I got through really well because in my full time job we average 6-8 batteries each per day so they're really not that big of a deal. They can seem intimidating the first couple of times but you get the flow of their system down. It's all about good planning and efficiency.
If you don't mind me asking, what part of the country are you referring to?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM