Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Your problems in thermography with drones

pierre

Reaction score
Hi guys,

We've run into a few issues when performing thermography ourselves.
And so, the thinking was, maybe we can create something the whole community can profit from and we can make thermography with UAVs more robust.
To map the probles, my question is: what are the general problems you've run into when performing thermography with UAVs?
These can be before, during or after (processing, reporting) the scan.

Would be great to hear from you, also don't hesitate to send these in a private message if you want to keep them private.

Some of the basics are addressed here:
FLIR Delta Episodes
I would guess that the single-most common issue is purchasing a FLIR camera without knowing what the intended purpose is going to be or trying to do too much with a single camera/lens unit. What is good for SAR is not always good for industrial/inspection applications.

I would also add, this is a science. You need some formalized training or someone with extensive training in this field. Any Joe can interpret a thermogram in a controlled environment like indoors. It takes someone with experience to capture and correctly interpret a data set outside of that controlled environment.

I would also add, this is a science. You need some formalized training or someone with extensive training in this field. Any Joe can interpret a thermogram in a controlled environment like indoors. It takes someone with experience to capture and correctly interpret a data set outside of that controlled environment.

Infrared Training Center

I did the Level 1 sUAS Thermography course back in November from the Infrared Training Center listed above, and while it's pricey, I can tell you that it's worth the money. I'm just now getting going on things, but if you're like me, and you've never done thermal imaging, it's a good investment.

I would like to find an economical way to fly autonomously, collect Radiometric geotagged photos, to produce Thermal Orthomosaic maps. I can produce the maps in house... I just need a way to fly the drone autonomously and stitch (post process) the photos. I am a one person shop, at a university and would only do this occasionally....so most Enterprise software packages ($5 -8 K per year) are too expensive. I use a Matrice 210, Zenmuse X5S and Zenmuse XT 640 x 512 Radiometric cameras. (Yes... I have Level 1 IR, and 107 sUAS, certifications).

Last edited:
I am trying out the new Dronedeploy Thermal Roof Inspection (Beta) App Market application. It is suppose to be able to make Orthomosaic Thermal Maps, however, it "fails" during Camera check and I am unavailable to launch. .. I keep getting “Error Loading Waypoints”. I have tried the new app on IPad and Android phone. All FW up to date. Uninstalled and reinstalled app several times. Still receiving the same error.

Here is information on the app.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

We've run into a few issues when performing thermography ourselves.
And so, the thinking was, maybe we can create something the whole community can profit from and we can make thermography with UAVs more robust.
To map the probles, my question is: what are the general problems you've run into when performing thermography with UAVs?
These can be before, during or after (processing, reporting) the scan.

Would be great to hear from you, also don't hesitate to send these in a private message if you want to keep them private.
The first "problem" with FLIR et al is that they are easy to plug and play. Too easy. Anyone who desires to get into this business must complete a formal training course. OJT ain't going to do it. Thermal imaging is serious business.

Greetings @pierre

There should be a lot of interest in what you are doing. With the entry level thermal drones from both DJI and Parrot, we get a lot of calls from people who think its going to be a great idea to get one. Most have no experience with them at all and call with lots of questions on the basics.

FLIR recently launched this new product designed at trying to make things easier as well: https://www.flir.com/products/therm...&utm_campaign=33.00.A.EM.US-FLIRThermalStudio

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905