Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

107 Pilot visiting Germany - Problems?

WJK

Reaction score
I have done a lot of web searching to see how much of a problem it would be to take my Mavic Pro into Germany. Not much either way. Nothing really definitive. I have traveled there many times, but never with a drone. Can anyone give me some help. I sure don't want to have to pay any taxes entering or leaving. Do you need sales receipts?

I have read that information. My concern is taking the drone into Germany and then returning with it. Has anyone flown through Frankfurt lately with a Mavic?

Thank you for your response.

Went into Düsseldorf and out of Amsterdam last summer with no problem what so ever. Make sure you have a metal engraved I.D. Registration placed on the exterior of your aircraft.

I have a printed black letter on white p-touch label on the exterior of my Mavic. It has the commercial aircraft # on it. I have never heard of metal engraved ID registrations.

I have a printed black letter on white p-touch label on the exterior of my Mavic. It has the commercial aircraft # on it. I have never heard of metal engraved ID registrations.

I've heard of a few countries requiring this "Metal" plate. I don't have any sources to link from but I've read it several times as of recent.

I am working on getting a couple made for me. In conversations with Etsy.com at the moment. I will probably get a couple made up. I got a price of $8.24 for 4ea plus $2.99 shipping. I went ahead and ordered. I will report on the product when I receive it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
It’s a fact. Has to be fireproof. You must have insurance as well. Doesn’t state you have to have proof of insurance but when flying in a foreign country it’s better to have everything in order. Specific rules about flying with audio/visual equipment and language about flying over private property and having to have consent from property occupant.

VERY late to this conversation but flew into/out of Frankfurt with a Mavic 2 Pro & Spark this week.

I appreciate it was within the EU that I travelled from, but this wouldn’t be obvious at security as all nationalities have already passed through passport control. I had no questions raised about any of the kit I had (including 4 spare batteries for each).

HTH,
Martin.

I flew Lufthansa from Dulles to Frankfurt a month ago. The biggest problem was a 8kg carryon weight limit. I had a laptop and several cameras with me. I had packed everything I could in my check bag. Finally, I was allowed to board with 13kg of carryon baggage. I got the superTSA treatment. I got everything but a proctology exam from TSA. Gunpowder swab testing too. Boy was I pissed. No other problems on the flight. Germany arrival was normal, nothing happened. Lufthansa knew I had a drone (Mavik Pro) with me from the carryon problem.

You are supposed to have German flight insurance to fly in Germany, yet you cannot get it without a fixed address in Germany. Germany requires the metal ID tags which I expected and had. I was able to DL and install the DHL(German FAA) software program on my Android Phone but not on my iPad tablet. The app worked better than b4ufly. No problems flying near a military base as I was just outside the no-fly limit shown on the software. I was not hassled by anyone in Germany and was able to enjoy flying and taking video as I wished. I was always below the 100m altitude limit.

Returning to the US was again a hassle with TSA goons in Germany. Again the pat down and cavity search. I am getting really tired of this. I have a 107 license, a handgun license and ham radio license. Does that flag me? Anyway, I really bitched about this as this was the fourth pat down in a row. Again the check included gunpowder swab. They kept saying that this was random. I say BS. I did not have the Lufthansa 8kg carryon limit in Germany. I just checked in without any problem and they did not even check the weight of the carryon. After the fiasco with TSA, I was pretty pissed until I found out that Lufthansa had upgraded me to Biz class due to a change of equipment. Thank you Lufthansa, you have one great airline, you rock.

Bottom line no problems traveling to and from Germany with a Mavic Pro multi-rotor. Your mileage may vary. I hope that you have pleasant Europe trips.

I didn't have any issues with my Mavic Pro when I brought it with me to Munich in Germany for a vacation trip a couple months ago. I made sure that to have my drone and gears as carry-on which I always did the same when flying abroad and in the United States with no problems. However, the most important thing when it comes to flying in Germany legally is that you need the following items:
  • A valid drone insurance (doesn't have to be from German as long as the insurance you have will cover for your flight session)
  • A fireproof badge label with your name and registration ID on it
  • Respect the privacy of individuals when flying your drones since Europeans values privacy very high.
An article from Aerofly Drones did a good job explaining on the Germany Drone Laws.

Reactions: Snowghost
A bit late - but here it is:
I had trouble with air transport of our M210 RTK with TB55 batteries this summer. They were to big/powerful to bring on a passenger jet. As no cargo jet was flying to that destination, I had to use sea transportation, which was very expensive.
Be aware of limitations when transporting the big drones and batteries.

I am working on getting a couple made for me. In conversations with Etsy.com at the moment. I will probably get a couple made up. I got a price of $8.24 for 4ea plus $2.99 shipping. I went ahead and ordered. I will report on the product when I receive it.
Just curious how and where you attached the metal tags to your drone ?

I measured the surface area where I wanted to put the tag before ordering. I then put the metal tag on the front nose of the aircraft. I did not hide it. I think commercial drones need the number to be readable without removing anything.

I’m in Spain where it’s compulsory to have a metal, fireproof plate fitted to a drone. If you Google for Drone ID plate there is a company in Holland and another in Spain that provide the correct plate. Plates are available at the correct size for different drones. Both sites provide details on where to attach the plate to the drone.

I have a Mavic Pro. The plate fits the rear of the drone and can also be mounted on a leg. I have the plate on the rear it fits like a car number plate.

The Mavic Pro 2 plate attaches to one of the legs or a space on the underside of the drone.

Both companies provide plates mail order for different drones, with diagrams where the plate should be attached.

Plates are about 8€ + postage

An EU plate should have operators name, telephone number, type of drone and the serial number.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM