Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Aquiline Drones

JoelP

Reaction score
Are people in this forum familiar with Aquiline Drones? I received an unsolicited call from them this week to promote their service of providing connections to commercial drone projects. When I looked at their site it seemed that participation required completion of their own certification course for ~$1200 and perhaps purchase and use of their own drones. I wrote to them to try to learn more about their business model, but never heard back from them.

Is this a legitimate company? Does the FAA publicize phone numbers for those with Part 107 certification?

Aquiline Drones are a legit company, in that they do actually exist, and they do offer training.

I would strongly advise against signing up for that training though. Their business model is suspect at best.

Reactions: TreeLineView
I have gone through the training of aquiline drones and to be honest. It sure sounds good looks legitimate. The FAA has even listed Aquiline drones getting the part 135 for delivery. They were one of four large companies including ups fedex wings and they ha e a vision to run drone calls like Uber. I hate that they compare themselves with Uber cause I was a driver at one point. However the online training is finished but one area is greyed out and it’s the section on the Hurricane drone. I am a drone business in Texas and the AD cloud is not accessible at today There is a hold on the whole program. What could it be? No jobs? I hope they work it out and can succeed They will go up in price as I paid 1299 and that was Dec 2020. Now july 5 th 2021. There have only been a new agricultural video to drum up business and they need 3000 pilots a month. I wonder if they are living real. No jobs from them yet. vette86
I actually stopped by AD's headquarters while I was in the Hartford area. Their CFO was kind enough to meet briefly with me, despite the fact they are very busy with this initial rollout of their F2F program. They are currently preparing for live training on their equipment and software, while also expanding their headquarter space to include a formal showroom. All the while, AD continues to garnish accolades from the media. I believe they are going through struggles imposed by COVID and everything else going on, but are genuinely serious about being number one in the field. Having also completed the online training, I'm following through on the remainder of the course.

If you do not mind , you said you finished the online course. I have finished all but the greyed out area for the Drone. Have you got past that? You say your following through with the training, What other training are you following up on? I have talked to Roger Chief Revenue Officer for Aquiline and I believe your right the Covid put them behind. I have even received my LLC last week and paid and I'm registered in Texas, with a 0 Balance. lol What's next after that? Thank you my friend.
The training module presenting AD's equipment & system has not yet been released, which will likely occur around the same time as their in-house training. My remaining concerns (for my own education) are with what AD refers to as "Mastering A Solution." While a thorough overview of opportunities is presented, the information provided does not, imho, currently seem to provide sufficient training to, say, perform tower inspections or surveying. I am assuming that is the responsibility of the student, outside of AD's curriculum. If so, some guidance (e.g., links to training in thermal) would be helpful. It's difficult to imagine their AI systems cover any of that...but who knows? Frankly, I need to address these concerns before I commit to creating an LLC and taking on assignments. Someone...anyone...please enlighten me if I am missing some info.

So, what is this outfit? You pay $1300 to train on their birds and software, and I'm guessing you have to buy their system and birds too. Then they send you jobs....

BUT...there's no jobs yet, and no access to the structure....???

Sounds like a "Fake it 'till you make it"... kinda thing? Your $1300 is investor money for something that isn't real yet and may or may not even go?

Just IMHO, I don't really know. I'm not intending to disparage them and if they're legit...but honestly Vic's comments raise the Red Flag 'cause if anyone would know, he would.

So, what is this outfit? You pay $1300 to train on their birds and software, and I'm guessing you have to buy their system and birds too. Then they send you jobs....

BUT...there's no jobs yet, and no access to the structure....???

Sounds like a "Fake it 'till you make it"... kinda thing? Your $1300 is investor money for something that isn't real yet and may or may not even go?

Just IMHO, I don't really know. I'm not intending to disparage them and if they're legit...but honestly Vic's comments raise the Red Flag 'cause if anyone would know, he would.
Your concerns are understandable. To be sure, I have encountered some red flags throughout this initial rollout of their training.

However, I am (still) curious enough to invest the time (and course costs) to see the training through to the end.

As I have mentioned, AD has received a great deal of promotional support from local industry, law makers, and of course the press.

And upon revisiting much of their "solution focused" training, their allusion that AI provides much of the industry-specific heavy lifting would be a game changer...if they are not simply blowing smoke. The hardware they are distributing, notably their Altura Zenith beast, would suggest they are serious.

I will certainly pass along my experiences to the group.

Reactions: Chris676
Their business model is suspect at best.. Sir what do you mean by this? I am head over heels going in debt for this company Aquiline Drones and I have taken the Online Training, and now Im stuck with a LLC and no work from Aquiline Drones? Can you elaborate on your answer as it was not long you wrote. Thank You
Sorry Chris, I just saw this. I haven't been on this forum lately.

I want everyone to understand that I am not accusing AD of anything untoward. But if you dive down into their system, you don't see any way for the system to work. They require you to use their drones, which are unproven, and promise you work from a non-existant client base. As you've realized, the work isn't there. Yet.

I tend to see the good in people, so I'm going to believe that they've just put the cart before the horse. Meaning they have a program with no way to enact it. My hope is that they turn things around soon. They have a good business plan on paper. But you can make anything look good on paper.

Part of the issue is that this industry has a track record of companies attempting to do the same thing and failing. Some do succeed. But I've yet to see one that requires someone to use their own OEM drone and OEM software to be part of the network.

I sincerely hope AD is a success. But I don't hold out much hope.

Until they have a track record of success stories, all they're doing is selling a promise with nothing to back it up with. This is the main reason I suggest people hold off on joining their ranks right now.

Their business model is suspect at best.. Sir what do you mean by this? I am head over heels going in debt for this company Aquiline Drones and I have taken the Online Training, and now Im stuck with a LLC and no work from Aquiline Drones? Can you elaborate on your answer as it was not long you wrote. Thank You
Chris.....don't waste your time...I spoke with Roger also and he gave me a song and dance about the whole process and after asking questions, basically $1300 for the online training, they will send you a drone but he told me you have to pay 10% every month until it's paid for whether your getting jobs from them or not. He's a con !! When I asked why do I have to pay to establish my own company with LLC licensing he told me it's because I work for myself and not them. They are just providing you leads for jobs and from what i am hearing " The don't have any jobs to send you on !!!! " So you are paying them to sit on your ***!! Don't get into this but if you already are........cut your losses and move on !!!

Aquiline Drones just layed off most of their staff due to "supply chain shortages". Which is weird considering they aren't building drones.

Hi all,
Aquiline's Spartacus drones are in fact the Hercules 2 and Altura Zenith drones produced under license from their French partner Drone Volt.
Clearly, the manufacturing effort has been beset with difficulty from the outset (which does not surprise me). Supply chain difficulties and before that, covid, offer convenient explanations...

Acknowledging the production issues, in spring 2021, Aquiline ordered 600 drones from Drone Volt. These are being manufactured now, for delivery by the end of the year. Apparently, Drone Volt is overcoming the supply chain problems, despite using the exact same components... I presume these drones are being made in France. I would love to know whether Aquiline is claiming they are 'Made in USA', and am also very interested in learning the price charged by Aquiline for the smaller Spartacus.

More generally, I find Aquiline Drones fascinating, but am skeptical of many of their claims and would invite a degree of caution.

Regards,

Andy (I have no direct relationship with Aquiline, but analyze the listed French drone makers, of which Drone Volt is one, and did a deep-dive when the DV-Aquiline partnership was announced, given the spectacular (and indeed fantastical) claims being made by B Alexander).

I may be cynical but I would hold off parting with the dollars. We have seen similar shenanigans in other industries here in Oz. They go under and there is no recourse for the poor bloke who got sucked in and invested his hard earned dollars with them. Just saying.
Regards

I applied on Indeed.com last night and spoke to someone from their Hartford location this morning. The course is now $399, but to me it seems like you pay the money, they have this app that you could get jobs from that pay at least $50 an hr and minimum 2hrs pay. So you can work 15 minutes and still get $100. Now, that’s how it was described to me. I have to look on the app to see the amount of jobs if that’s even possible, it seems like any training tbh rather it’s becoming an electrician or a barber it seems just like training and other than their “app” you have to find your own jobs.

...So you can work 15 minutes and still get $100...

So, you can:

1. Plan mission, prepare all paperwork (Airspace Auth, Insurance, etc)
2. Prepare equipment.
3. Drive to job site.
4. Setup equipment, pre-flight.
5. Check TFR's.
6. Fly the mission.
7. Recover equipment.
8. Drive home.
9. Close out paperwork, unload gear, post-flight.
10. Upload images.
11. Collect pay follow-up.

...in 15 minutes for just $100? You have a much more efficient work-flow than I do. All that would take me at least 2 hours. (estimating only a 30 minute drive to job)

(I haven't researched this personally) They've dropped the training $1k to $399? Do you still have to buy/use their $5k drone? Sounds to me like: In order to use "Droners" you have to pay them $400 for training and buy their $5k drone (no mention of batteries and controller, BTW) to do $100 jobs.

So, you can:

1. Plan mission, prepare all paperwork (Airspace Auth, Insurance, etc)
2. Prepare equipment.
3. Drive to job site.
4. Setup equipment, pre-flight.
5. Check TFR's.
6. Fly the mission.
7. Recover equipment.
8. Drive home.
9. Close out paperwork, unload gear, post-flight.
10. Upload images.
11. Collect pay follow-up.

...in 15 minutes for just $100? You have a much more efficient work-flow than I do. All that would take me at least 2 hours. (estimating only a 30 minute drive to job)

(I haven't researched this personally) They've dropped the training $1k to $399? Do you still have to buy/use their $5k drone? Sounds to me like: In order to use "Droners" you have to pay them $400 for training and buy their $5k drone (no mention of batteries and controller, BTW) to do $100 jobs.
Hey I doubt I could do a whole job in 15 minutes, but I was quoting what the lady told me. I wasn’t interested in drones or being a drone pilot until I applied on indeed but now I’m interested. I don’t know if I’ll do their training course or just take the exam after doing my own studying, but who I was talking to confirmed that they’re just teaching you about drones and how to use their app; pretty much how to work for them, but you still have to pay for the 107 yourself, they’re just giving you added information. She also sent me an email saying you can do a plan to pay off your drone. Honestly now that I’ve done some research and found this forum it seems like an opinion thing. If you want extra information with the cost they’re offering and a provided LLC then it doesn’t seem so bad or you can take the exam with your own information and I think either way someone can be successful. And yes it’s $399 now I believe she said it’s a holiday thing.

Hey I doubt I could do a whole job in 15 minutes, but I was quoting what the lady told me. I wasn’t interested in drones or being a drone pilot until I applied on indeed but now I’m interested. I don’t know if I’ll do their training course or just take the exam after doing my own studying, but who I was talking to confirmed that they’re just teaching you about drones and how to use their app; pretty much how to work for them, but you still have to pay for the 107 yourself, they’re just giving you added information. She also sent me an email saying you can do a plan to pay off your drone. Honestly now that I’ve done some research and found this forum it seems like an opinion thing. If you want extra information with the cost they’re offering and a provided LLC then it doesn’t seem so bad or you can take the exam with your own information and I think either way someone can be successful. And yes it’s $399 now I believe she said it’s a holiday thing.

I don't think the "lady you talked to" is being totally transparent. That "15 minutes" wouldn't work even if you lived next to the job site, had clear airspace, and all of the planets aligned perfectly for that for the day. Maybe I'm slow and overly cautious but even a 5 minute flight takes roughly 30 minutes in prep, planning, flying, post flight, data processing, and equipment storage/inspection. This doesn't include ANY travel time, connecting with assets on the ground (project managers etc) and other things. Even with very limited travel and incidental delays I would estimate an HOUR for that 15 min flight as a MIN with ideal circumstances. Add some airspace issues and/or logistic hurdles etc and you can easily double or triple that one hour allowance. Next thing you know you've spent a full day, gas, food etc and made $100 (before taxes etc). 6 months in you're selling your equipment trying recoup some of your misguided investments and going back to indeed looking for a better job that pays more than beer $$.

Speaking as someone who does this type of work and has for a few years now, that "lady" is only shining a candle on the real story but then again it's her job to convince people to sign up and join their team so it sounds like she's probably doing a good job albeit unethical and misleading.

I don't mean to be totally negative and make it sound like UAS can't be a good paying gig because it CAN be. Many of us have and are proving that to be the case day in and day out. Just like most everything else in life, if it looks/sounds too good to be true it probably is. Building and running a successful and PROFITABLE business takes a lot of time, work, and sacrifices. The only people getting rich on these "Quick Start Schemes" are the originators and those at the top level.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM