Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Are 107 Holders really Pilots?

Both the Class D airport towers in my location support military (ANG) operations and prefer “sUAS” or “UAS”. However, I don’t think there is any “right” term; each facility may have a preference.

Best advice it to get to know the tower managers and their preferred terminology.

I am an Electrical Engineer and when people ask what I do I usually say that I am an Engineer. I do not have my PE Registration. So it sounds like some of you folks are saying that I am wrong in referring to myself as a Engineer.

I think we all understand that a Remote Pilot does not carry the same status of a Pilot with muli-engine certification. So why are us lowly Remote Pilots so wrong in answering "Yes" to the question as stated?

Is a Scott tissue a Kleenex? So when you ask someone for a Kleenex, does that mean you won't accept a Scott tissue?

Jeez, get over yourselves guys!

I am an Electrical Engineer and when people ask what I do I usually say that I am an Engineer. I do not have my PE Registration. So it sounds like some of you folks are saying that I am wrong in referring to myself as a Engineer.

I think we all understand that a Remote Pilot does not carry the same status of a Pilot with muli-engine certification. So why are us lowly Remote Pilots so wrong in answering "Yes" to the question as stated?

Is a Scott tissue a Kleenex? So when you ask someone for a Kleenex, does that mean you won't accept a Scott tissue?

Jeez, get over yourselves guys!
Scott tissue to expensive, I go for the low generic type;)

You may be to some extent a "Drone" Pilot , but a Private Pilot takes a minimum 20 hours of classes and flying with an instructor. Then takes the flying exam. So a Drone Pilot has very very basic understanding of flying. I'm also pvt with multi-rating Cessna 310, and numerous single engine.
I'm all for having an Instructor sign off in order show your flying skills.

On the "manned flight" side, I'm a student pilot, and I agree that having a practical drone test(instead of just a written one) would go a long way to giving this cert more respect. OTOH, pilots seem to love turning up their nose at "lesser" certs. Elitism. No one should care what they think. The FAA says we're pilots, so we are.

That's it.

Edit: For a private, it's 40 hours minimum (10 solo), plus ground school, correct?

Last edited:
Reactions: AH-1G
On the "manned flight" side, I'm a student pilot, and I agree that having a practical drone test(instead of just a written one) would go a long way to giving this cert more respect. OTOH, pilots seem to love turning up their nose at "lesser" certs. Elitism. No one should care what they think. The FAA says we're pilots, so we are.

That's it.

Edit: For a private, it's 40 hours minimum (10 solo), plus ground school, correct?

Give us an update as to whether your opinion differs when you earn your IFR rating, and take your girlfriend on a first long distance, IFR trip.

Under Part 107, you will be a "Remote Pilot", not a "Pilot". The FAA's classification, pure and simple, not elitism.

Good luck with your flying- you won't regret a cent you spent.

Reactions: BigAl07
Give us an update as to whether your opinion differs when you earn your IFR rating, and take your girlfriend on a first long distance, IFR trip.

Under Part 107, you will be a "Remote Pilot", not a "Pilot". The FAA's classification, pure and simple, not elitism.

^^^^^^ Well said :)

I started flying in1978 and I've seen a lot of snobbery from various pilots. There is a world of difference in flying an aircraft that you actually need to fly, verses drive by wire. Since I'm ex Navy I always said real pilots land on aircraft carriers, now there's a bit of snobbery for you, but I was always just kidding or attempting to stir up the troops.
I'm an old crop duster, if I got over 500 agl I got lost, so I went IFR (I followed roads). I'n now too old to fly for commercial.
When I began flying drones a couple years ago, it was a new learning experience. I personally have no problem of a drone pilot referring to himself as a pilot, because in a true sense he or she is piloting the drone.
A good friend of mine is a ex Eagle pilot, refers to himself as an ex Eagle driver, go figure.
Reality, titles mean very little.

Reactions: Black Ops
I started flying in1978 and I've seen a lot of snobbery from various pilots. There is a world of difference in flying an aircraft that you actually need to fly, verses drive by wire. Since I'm ex Navy I always said real pilots land on aircraft carriers, now there's a bit of snobbery for you, but I was always just kidding or attempting to stir up the troops.
I'm an old crop duster, if I got over 500 agl I got lost, so I went IFR (I followed roads). I'n now too old to fly for commercial.
When I began flying drones a couple years ago, it was a new learning experience. I personally have no problem of a drone pilot referring to himself as a pilot, because in a true sense he or she is piloting the drone.
A good friend of mine is a ex Eagle pilot, refers to himself as an ex Eagle driver, go figure.
Well said.

"IFR" LoL:D

I am a fixed wing FAA certified Commercial Pilot with Multiengine and Instrument Ratings. Add to that I am a FAA Licensed Flight Instructor, and also a 107 rated drone "Pilot". So my take is that I am proud to also use the title pilot when I mention that when flying my drone for both pleasure and commercial operations. I certainly do not look down on my drone pilot buddies and associates.

I am a fixed wing FAA certified Commercial Pilot with Multiengine and Instrument Ratings. Add to that I am a FAA Licensed Flight Instructor, and also a 107 rated drone "Pilot". So my take is that I am proud to also use the title pilot when I mention that when flying my drone for both pleasure and commercial operations. I certainly do not look down on my drone pilot buddies and associates.

Tom, I did aerial photography from Cessnas (and sometimes Robinson helicopters) for many years as a passenger/photographer and have flown with hundreds and hundreds of guys (and gals) like you. Though your attitude towards drone pilots is very generous, it's really hard for me to put my skills, knowledge, and experience in the same category as that of "real" pilots by calling myself a pilot. Maybe the distinction could be you're a Pilot and I'm a pilot (with a small "p").

Anyway, the title I prefer to use if a title is necessary, is "professional photographer."

I'm just trying to instill a little respect for what is on the ticket. I scuba dive, and have firearms, but I'm no Navy SEAL. That is an extreme example, but the basic premise of this thread, and some cavalier responses seem to demonstrate potential abuse.

I predict the FAA (Financial Attrition Association) will get their ultimate way with this industry, restricting it by way of such atrocious expense, that obtaining at least a PRIVATE PILOT SEL will be the affordable path of entry to this field commercially, assuring knowledge and care for the US airspace. Mandatory tran$ponder$, parachute$ and such expen$ive equipment and additional restriction$ ("Field Checks" for commercial ops?) will come, once the first liability case involving multiple fatalities from a non-educated, non-caring REMOTE PILOT is presented. They are just WAITING for it to happen, and so is the NTSB and many, many attorneys.

There is already one such thread in this forum asking "What rules can be bent?"

That thread demonstrates the future.

If that person who started that thread ever had a windscreen full of birds, balloons, or aircraft bearing down on them, they wouldn't ask that question.

Therefore, the ticket says, and I quote, "REMOTE PILOT" for a reason, and all I'm asking people to do is earn their right to drop the first word. The industry will be much more respected if respect is demonstrated.

I'm just trying to instill a little respect for what is on the ticket. I scuba dive, and have firearms, but I'm no Navy SEAL. That is an extreme example, but the basic premise of this thread, and some cavalier responses seem to demonstrate potential abuse.

I predict the FAA (Financial Attrition Association) will get their ultimate way with this industry, restricting it by way of such atrocious expense, that obtaining at least a PRIVATE PILOT SEL will be the affordable path of entry to this field commercially, assuring knowledge and care for the US airspace. Mandatory tran$ponder$, parachute$ and such expen$ive equipment and additional restriction$ ("Field Checks" for commercial ops?) will come, once the first liability case involving multiple fatalities from a non-educated, non-caring REMOTE PILOT is presented. They are just WAITING for it to happen, and so is the NTSB and many, many attorneys.

There is already one such thread in this forum asking "What rules can be bent?"

That thread demonstrates the future.

If that person who started that thread ever had a windscreen full of birds, balloons, or aircraft bearing down on them, they wouldn't ask that question.

Therefore, the ticket says, and I quote, "REMOTE PILOT" for a reason, and all I'm asking people to do is earn their right to drop the first word. The industry will be much more respected if respect is demonstrated.

Commercial aviation today is so much different than when I started flying. Today I can't imagine the boredom experienced by airline and freight pilots. You enter your flight plan into the computer and go along for the ride. That's exactly why those two pilots over flew their destination by 150 miles, they both fell asleep. Agreed the pilot has a much greater responsibility, education, and training than a drone pilot, but at least the drone pilot needs to maintain situational awareness all the time, others should but they don't. Most of the attitudes I have encountered from pilots have been airline pilots.
Now try getting these same people to fly crop dusters, or for the forestry service fighting fires, they in the most part want nothing to do with it, why, it is a bit dangerous.
When you speak of respect, respect is earned, not just given.
I have a great deal of respect for the airline industry and their pilots in general, they have a tremendous responsibility. But I have no respect for these pilots that show up for work under the influence and it is happening too often. Reading books, or sleeping while their plane takes them to their destination is common in aviation today.
If a drone pilot wants to refer to himself as a pilot, driver, operator, or any other title I certainly take no offense.

After earning 107 status, according to the FAA you are a Certified sUAS Remote Pilot. Responsibilities are high so fly safe. One more point, this is under the context of this great new forum, Commercial Drone Pilots. Wear the 107 Badge of Honor with pride. Show off your license to your clients. They will appreciate your confidence.

That is a great attitude. Thank you!!!

tl;dr

All drone operators are "pilots" in the loosest definition of the term. But if you're a 107 "pilot" and think you're somehow distinguished and/or important because of a rudimentary test you passed, you should take a closer look at how little effort it takes to get a 107. I am pretty sure I could train my dog to pass the 107.

Reactions: Acuity9
once the first liability case involving multiple fatalities from a non-educated, non-caring REMOTE PILOT is presented. They are just WAITING for it to happen, and so is the NTSB and many, many attorneys.

This sounds hyperbolic to me. A drone causing casualties doesn't seem very likely (and neither does attorneys and regulators eagerly waiting for it to happen). It is possible that a drone could knock out an engine on a plane but surely a drone strike is no more serious, and less likely, than a bird strike?

From Wikipedia:
Bird strikes are a significant threat to flight safety, and have caused a number of accidents with human casualties.[3] The number of major accidents involving civil aircraft is quite low and it has been estimated that there is only about 1 accident resulting in human death in one billion (109) flying hours.[4] The majority of bird strikes (65%) cause little damage to the aircraft;[5] however the collision is usually fatal to the bird(s) involved.
There are a lot more birds in the air than drones. To the best of my knowledge there's been only a single confirmed drone strike so far, in Canada last year, which resulted in a minor scratch on the fuselage. Meanwhile, uneducated and uncaring "real" pilots have caused many, many deaths. Even if a remote pilot is one day responsible for a death, it's a virtual impossibility that they could ever cause as many as "real" pilots have caused and will continue to cause.

So whether or not we with sUAS licenses can call ourselves "pilots" is entirely a matter of opinion since the word is being used here in a slang way. We certainly meet the criteria set forth by the official definition. Also, the word "remote" in "remote pilot" is an adjective modifying the noun "pilot." So remote pilots are pilots of the type "remote" according to the FAA. That said, I personally do not refer to myself as a pilot. My brother, who has flown Predators and PC-12s for the Air Force, is a pilot.

$0.02

tl;dr

All drone operators are "pilots" in the loosest definition of the term. But if you're a 107 "pilot" and think you're somehow distinguished and/or important because of a rudimentary test you passed, you should take a closer look at how little effort it takes to get a 107. I am pretty sure I could train my dog to pass the 107.

Must have a smarT dog. Kind of a cheap shot. Are you an aviator or a pilot?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roy thellmann