Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Best Drone For Commercial Use

Josh Mentele

Reaction score
Any suggestions for the best commercial drone? I have heard pretty good reviews of the Phantom 4/pro and the Inspire. Autel Robotics just released a new foldable drone that shoots 4K 60FPS, but I don't know if it is suitable for commercial purposes. I wish they would release a drone with retractable landing gear and 1" sensor.

The one that performs the job the best? The question is; what is the job? A UAV system used to inspect 1600 foot towers in all weather might not be the best one to take to a wedding shoot:)
In full disclosure I have a couple different makes and each has its uses, but sometimes these threads can become Ford vs Chevy so be aware. So what are you looking to do?

The one that performs the job the best? The question is; what is the job? A UAV system used to inspect 1600 foot towers in all weather might not be the best one to take to a wedding shoot:)
In full disclosure I have a couple different makes and each has its uses, but sometimes these threads can become Ford vs Chevy so be aware. So what are you looking to do?
Yep- this question will be debated until the end of time. Best to define what you are going to do with it, research which drones will fill your needs, then check out reviews and talk to owners in forums like this.

You will have better luck if you ask Phantom owners what they do and don't like about a particular model. Same with other brands.
Hope this helps:cool:

Reactions: Mike Flys
I am interested in creating maps and doing general inspection work.

For mapping you want rugged, stable, and able to handle wind.
I would look at a robust hex or even X8 maybe like a matrice
not so much an inspire which to me are better suited for cinematography
not to say you cant map with an Inspire.

I think most drones will fill those roles. The difference will be in camera/gimbal capabilities, software to create the maps, ability of the drone, via software, to fly autonomous missions with acceptable precision, battery duration... I know there are more points to consider but you get the idea.

Don't you?

Please say you do...o_O

Don't make me bite your ankle..Grrrrrrr

Any suggestions for the best commercial drone? I have heard pretty good reviews of the Phantom 4/pro and the Inspire. Autel Robotics just released a new foldable drone that shoots 4K 60FPS, but I don't know if it is suitable for commercial purposes. I wish they would release a drone with retractable landing gear and 1" sensor.
It also depends how deep is your pocket book?

I agree with most commentors- depends on the job. But I would guess that most commercial drones probably work well in most situations. However, very specific needs might make a particular drone more suitable. It just depends on your specific needs.

Josh, like the others said, it depends. But for an all around decent drone to do a lot of different things, the P4P is a good choice in my opinion.

If cost is a consideration, I can suggest the Mavic Pro (< ~$1000). However, I think the camera on the P4P produces better images. I believe mapping can be done by both the Mavic Pro and the P4P, but, IMHO, you will want still air for best results.

There is the DJI Inspire and Yuneec just announced their putting a 1" 20MP camera on the Typhoon H, but that is going to be some time before it hits the market

And the Typhoon H520 with the E90, is already out and meets the OP's original specs (retractable gear and 1 inch sensor.) With DataPilot, built for grids and mapping.

Careful with the random use of "inspections". Check out (search other forums, Google) some discussions that shed light on what certain entities (local building codes/requirements) consider as the qualifications needed to deliver actual "inspections" (e.g. building/roof).

If image capture is all that is requested by a potential client, all may be good. But if, for this point a roof inspection is requested, one might need a lot more in qualifications than the ability to send up an aerial camera.

Here is one article I found. Scroll down a bit to the section about "some inconvenient truths".

Just sayin'. :)

Jeff

Last edited:
{snip}...Check out (search other forums, Google) some discussions that shed light on what certain entities (local building codes/requirements) consider as the qualifications needed to deliver actual "inspections" (e.g. building/roof).

Excellent point, Jeff! Had a quick discussion with the city Building Inspector last fall and found out that there are qualifications (licensure) that a person needs to meet in order to have their "inspections" accepted by the city and, evidently, the state.

A fellow UAS operator in the lowlands of SC had some "attention" he didn't need because they used words in their company description that required a license in the state of NC. I think inspection, survey and photogrammetry were all deemed as "Professional Services" which require a state issued license. He agreed to change the wording and how he processed images etc and no further actions were taken.

Keep in mind that even though you may not call your data a "survey" (or whatever the trigger word is) if the outcome is the same as a survey then you are likely to be required to have the proper licensing. Even if you don't promote it as such if someone can interpret it as such you're stuck.

Here in Florida, I'm finding out some cities and towns want you to be on their vendors list. Need to be a LLC in some cases. Is that the same elsewhere?

It's fairly common to be required to be "an approved vendor" for Govt jobs. In some instances we have to jump through multiple layers of interviews and verification in order to even bid on a Govt job.

I've never been required to be an LLC but it was one of the first things we did when we got serious about running a business.

Reactions: Mike Flys and AH-1G
The Inspire II is a great platform that can be used with several different camera systems. We use it with the Zenmuse x4s camera and the DJI ground station pro app for mapping. A little pricey, but great end product.

It's fairly common to be required to be "an approved vendor" for Govt jobs. In some instances we have to jump through multiple layers of interviews and verification in order to even bid on a Govt job.

I've never been required to be an LLC but it was one of the first things we did when we got serious about running a business.
I agree LLC for doing business is a must along with a web site. With out a web site, somefolks think you're not real or qualified and serious enough.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM