Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Bye Bye License

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as flying before or after police and having photos I still see it as interfering. By citizens having those photos could possibly jeopardize an investigation, cause a sway in public opinion thus causing issue to seat an impartial jury and a host of other issues. Not sure with the fascination but it exists. But just having photos of a scene and not the facts of an entire investigation can jeopardize that investigation. My opinion but good for those police for setting the rules early in this new field.

I don't understand your reasoning. It would somehow be better to not have images documenting the scene than to have them? I'm not saying the photographer should do an investigation or interpret the facts. I just don't see any reason why he or she is not just as entitled to be a photo-journalist as those who might be flying in helicopters.

Reactions: Bob
sheeesh ...relax, dont u know a joke when u see one?

Back at ya[emoji6][emoji106]

Putting that behind, I believe there is certainly a need for freelance journalism, maintaining checks of airspace restrictions, police scanners, hand held aviation radios, spotters, open communication between journalists and emergency responders, and reasonable judgement when covering unfolding events. We might accept the guy with press credentials and a zoom lens hand held camera would be allowed to shoot from outside the Police line tape. A drone doesn’t necessarily alter journalism photography, just the perspective.

Reactions: Bob
500’ is minimum separation distance, not an altitude limitation.

I was talking about transitional flights. Generally altitude is your friend and give the pilot time to react in case of an emergency.
[House Cleaning by Admin]

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an FYI, I’n another that would and does not fly “at minimums”, putting safety first. Low level full scale flight is something done by aerobatic pilots with a ground level waiver and a death wish. I’m not in the group.

Although some of my posts don’t fit a common profile, I’m another Right Wing Conservative, but I never buy into a story from a single source, especially when money, politics, or multirotors are involved. How a story is written is just as important as what was written.

Reactions: R.Perry
A drone pilot does not have direct comm with local agencies, and will not know if Life Flight is coming in.
You can actually ground aircraft if they see a drone in the area, as seen around wildfires in Cali.
CalFire will ground air tankers when a drone is spotted, thus delaying action.
Same at crash sites.
News crews are in direct contact with rescue and won't fly until allowed.
Just stay away from emergency crews.
It's just a form of rubbernecking a traffic accident and is disgusting.
Thank You for clarifying what I was trying to say.

Thank You for clarifying what I was trying to say.

If someone is flying a drone a quarter mile away from the scene, in-line with a life-flight, and doesn't know about the accident, he's supposed to be watching for air traffic, and upon hearing and seeing the helicopter, can bring his drone down. Why wouldn't the same apply for someone flying the scene?

At any rate, it's not necessarily "rubbernecking" or "disgusting."

Just remember ant video, pictures you take are considered evidence and you can be subpoenaed to show up to court. Wether it is a drone or your phone. The biggest thing on a crash scene or one of the biggest things is not to leak photos before loved ones have been notified. News stations pay for photos but as a parent I do not want to be watching news and see my kid dead hanging out the front windshield of a car.

Well folks... unfortunately this topic has DEVOLVED and is now CLOSED until further notice. It was a good one while it lasted.

Warnings and Deletions have been completed.
Allen

Reactions: dirkclod
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gstrick1215