Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

CDP Giveaway - Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian!

clackey

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the new Commercial Drone Pilots Forum! We believe we've created a great forum for all our commercial pilots to discuss and grow their businesses.

To encourage current (and aspiring) commercial pilots to dive in we are giving away a Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian with the following rules.

1. Create your CDP account.

2. Create a thread to introduce yourself and tell us about your business.

3. Begin creating threads and posting responses in the forum.

Each thoughtful, articulate, kind and helpful post created before February 28th will be counted as one entry into the drawing for the Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian giveaway. Responding with a simple "me too" or "I agree" post will not count as an entry.

On March 1 we will randomly choose the post #, notify and the winner and announce it here on CDP.

GOOD LUCK!
e-4-b763d7d89a1ad88852d8eb791ce72fae.png

This would be a splendid prize for any aspiring aerial photographer. I have been very pleased indeed with the pictures I'm getting from my P4P....take a look at www.skytech-imaging.com all pictures were taken with the P4P. Some folks would beg to differ that to do a "proper" job you need a DSLR but for most of my customers the P4P has been just fine including making poster size enlargements.Mint Carwash.jpg

Kinda new to the Part 107 thing. Done a few jobs. Construction, private parties/events, search for downed wildlife, newspaper shots. Currently flying a P4A. Would love and appreciate a crack at the P4P Obsidian! Howdy to all from Texas!

Reactions: dirkclod
hi all!
im looking forward to bring this brand new possibilities like aerophotography and videography to Tajikistan. dji phantom 4pro will help me to show all over the world how beautiful is our nature and how peacefully we are living now.
small investment with a big consequent effect!

Attachments

• IMG_20170514_083506_531.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 24
i would love to use this site to acquire more info than I could find and hopefully get more interaction to help a new prospecting business a helping hand to get started
would love the new drone- that would help business a ton

We are still getting up and running here in Williamsburg, VA and the P4P Obsidian would be a great addition to the fleet! We have not paid for any advertising yet. I thought the real estate side of the business would be where the bulk of the customers would come from but thus far I have had better luck with private parties wanting pictures or video for their own personal use. We offered the first photo for free to several local realtors to build rapport without investing anything above and beyond our time but no one took us up on it. I am going to wait until the Spring before spending money on advertising. Anyone have any suggestions or lessons learned regarding advertising?

We are still getting up and running here in Williamsburg, VA and the P4P Obsidian would be a great addition to the fleet! We have not paid for any advertising yet. I thought the real estate side of the business would be where the bulk of the customers would come from but thus far I have had better luck with private parties wanting pictures or video for their own personal use. We offered the first photo for free to several local realtors to build rapport without investing anything above and beyond our time but no one took us up on it. I am going to wait until the Spring before spending money on advertising. Anyone have any suggestions or lessons learned regarding advertising?
I've had similar results. Construction and private events mostly. Talk to local newspaper and contribute there. Free advertising when you submit pics for paper. Also explore Facebook business page.

I fly a Phantom 4Pro and a Phantom 2 with a GoPro on an H3 3D gimbal as backup. I'm a DP on a car renovation show and we use aerials for establishing shots and exteriors of the shop where the cars are customized. I also use the Phantom like a jib to get beauty shots of the completed cars, both outside and inside the shop. These Phantoms are great tools and add so much production value to a show or commercial. I used to hang out of helicopters to get aerials that I can get today with a $1500 Phantom.

When I first started I too thought real estate would be a great place to make money. Not so much back then, I think because it was new and most realtors didn't understand the value of aerial photography.

Now, it seems like most realtors are doing it themselves or somebody in-house.

As far as advertising goes, it kinda depends on your local area as to what works. Since video is so prevalent today, maybe you could make your own commercial for YouTube/ Vimeo. Or talk to owners of local businesses you use and see if you can post a flyer near the front door.

I fly a Phantom 4Pro and a Phantom 2 with a GoPro on an H3 3D gimbal as backup. I'm a DP on a car renovation show and we use aerials for establishing shots and exteriors of the shop where the cars are customized. I also use the Phantom like a jib to get beauty shots of the completed cars, both outside and inside the shop. These Phantoms are great tools and add so much production value to a show or commercial. I used to hang out of helicopters to get aerials that I can get today with a $1500 Phantom.
For those of us less-learned folks what is a DP?

Maybe this.
Cinematographer - Wikipedia
A cinematographer or director of photography (sometimes shortened to DP or DOP) is the chief over the camera and light crews working on a film, television production or other live action piece and is responsible for making artistic and technical decisions related to the image.

Reactions: markver and Maddog
Greetings All from Huntsville, Al!!! Just finished my first roof inspection job and looking forward to doing much more in 2018. Having a new P4P would defiantly be a bonus. Looking forward to making connections, sharing knowledge, ideas and such with you all on this forum.

Reactions: BigAl07
Awesome! I recently dyed a set of props black hoping for a bit more visibility.. (nope, try again) so if I won the Obsidian I'd have a set of spares to match it! ;)

Greetings All from Huntsville, Al!!! Just finished my first roof inspection job and looking forward to doing much more in 2018. Having a new P4P would defiantly be a bonus. Looking forward to making connections, sharing knowledge, ideas and such with you all on this forum.
Welcome to the forum! I too do roof inspections and am always surprised at the number of people needing inspections, who never thought of using a drone.

Unfortunately, too many people think of drones as evil "spies in the sky", etc.

I think it's up to professionals like us to show the public that's not the case, and educate them to all the potential uses.

Awesome! I recently dyed a set of props black hoping for a bit more visibility.. (nope, try again) so if I won the Obsidian I'd have a set of spares to match it! ;)
I did a lot of testing with my 1st drone (Syma X8) and my current Solo drones on prop visability.

I found that after a certain distance, it makes no difference because of limitations of our eyes and the fact the props are spinning too fast to really see the color. Even the color of the drone can't be discerned after a certain distance.

NASA and the military did a lot of research on this stuff which you can read online. Don't forget- Google is your friend.:D

Maybe this.
Cinematographer - Wikipedia
A cinematographer or director of photography (sometimes shortened to DP or DOP) is the chief over the camera and light crews working on a film, television production or other live action piece and is responsible for making artistic and technical decisions related to the image.
Hmm- hopefully @Craig Needelman will chime in with the answer.

We've kind of come into real estate aerial photography from the other side. My wife is a Photographer that started getting a few realtors requesting the typical interior shots and exterior as well from the ground. When they asked about Aerial I just happened to have that ability, and thru that first connection the aerial work is coming - not a lot but it is coming. There is a group discussion going on about real estate photography> Click HERE

I did a lot of testing with my 1st drone (Syma X8) and my current Solo drones on prop visability.

I found that after a certain distance, it makes no difference because of limitations of our eyes and the fact the props are spinning too fast to really see the color. Even the color of the drone can't be discerned after a certain distance.

NASA and the military did a lot of research on this stuff which you can read online. Don't forget- Google is your friend.:D
I used to hunt ducks with my grandfather and he told me if I could see color on the ducks heads they were within 40 yards and thus within range. He used to get on me about shooting so far until my eyes were tested in 8th grade and we found out I had way better than 20/20 vision. I could see the green on a mallards head at 50+ yards LOL...

WRT the drone color, I spot the white ok now even with 62 year old eyes, but I'm also considering some sort of lighting for dusk and dawn flights.. and the black props look cool on a white bird.

If you look at props on airplanes they have a white painted stripe close to the tip. Another reason wind turbines have white blades so most birds can see them

Reactions: CharlieB

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM