Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Competitors Bust Airspace

Swamp Fox

Reaction score
What does everyone do when you see a competitor blatantly bust airspace and post it to their Facebook page? I’m talking about flying in National Parks and 0’ airspace.

Do you report them? Talk to them?

Of course I cannot say for certain. But everyone that gets caught flying in the National Seashore gets fined.

And I’m willing to bet my career he doesn’t have authorization to fly in class D militarily airspace (0’ and not a part of LAANC).

Reactions: GFields
This national park rules really irritate me. I live just outside of Yosemite Park, I have a beautiful picture of a climber on El Capitan. These parks belong to the American people not the little dictators that run them. Drones should be allowed in the Parks, and punish those who operate in an unsafe manner instead of a blanket restriction.
Now as for Yosemite they are open to planned flights and only on certain days and you must have a 107 license meaning they are open to commercial filming.

Reactions: LeadSledGirl-CDP
I would talk to them and make it appear you are trying to educate them.

From your post, it sounds like you want the FAA to eliminate a competitor.

If you decide to report them, you need more than a suspicion.

We probably all have this issue but the FAA doesn't have time to spend a lot of time on a suspicion. They need hard evidence to go on.

Reactions: JimD
If they are blatant about it, and it's causing safety issues, report them. That's what the FAA wants us to do. It may just end up being an educational opportunity, but it may help.

If he's busting NPS rules, then report them to the Park Supervisor. Include links. Unlike the FAA, the NPS will actually use social media to fine people. The NPS doesn't mess around.

Reactions: GFields
Do NOT report them. The FAA keeps records on how many infractions are committed by drone pilots. They DO NOT keep statistics on good drone pilots that inform on bad drone pilots. Those bad statistics are used by local state and National politicians to ban drones. Doubt me, look at what NC did. Reporting a drone pilot after he has broken a rule does not do anything to enhance safety, it just brings attention to drone pilots breaking rules and adds to the negative discussion of drone ls.

This national park rules really irritate me. I live just outside of Yosemite Park, I have a beautiful picture of a climber on El Capitan. These parks belong to the American people not the little dictators that run them. Drones should be allowed in the Parks, and punish those who operate in an unsafe manner instead of a blanket restriction.
Now as for Yosemite they are open to planned flights and only on certain days and you must have a 107 license meaning they are open to commercial filming.
I can certainly empathize with your anger and frustration of not being able to fly, or fly more easily in National Parks. I must say, however, I am taken aback by your reference to NP officials as little dictators. This sort of hyperbolic reference to duly appointed officials charged with the responsibility of managing a public resource for the greater public good is emblematic of the problems we are seeing these days of people attacking one another as opposed to addressing issues. It would be immeasurably better to restrict ourselves to a civil discussion of policy than to engage in ad hominem attacks that contribute nothing positive and fray the fabric of cooperative civility so necessary for a society where mutual respect and consideration can thrive.

How does one submit for a planned flight in Yosemite? Where is the calendar for those open dates? I was under the impression it was totally banned.

Do NOT report them. The FAA keeps records on how many infractions are committed by drone pilots. They DO NOT keep statistics on good drone pilots that inform on bad drone pilots. Those bad statistics are used by local state and National politicians to ban drones. Doubt me, look at what NC did. Reporting a drone pilot after he has broken a rule does not do anything to enhance safety, it just brings attention to drone pilots breaking rules and adds to the negative discussion of drone ls.
Sorry buddy, I'm going to totally (but respectfully) disagree with you on this.

The FAA does not use this info to impose more regulation. Nor do states.

NC did their (probably preempted) shenanigans way before drones were truly a thing. They passed their registration and rules in 2014. They attempted to get ahead of the curve, but instead they end up looking foolish. To my knowledge there has only been one person cited for not having an NC registration, and that case was dropped before it could get to the courts.

If we as an industry or hobby don't attempt to self regulate, then more and more people will blatantly break the rules. You and I both know of many instances where pilots basically said "The FAA won't do anything, so I'll do what I want". That leads to major safety issues.

Instead, what the FAA needs to do is publish findings for those who have been popped for stupidity. And they recently did. We're pushing for more public notifications of completed investigations. We wrote a quick article on that: FAA publishes $15,205 fine for reckless and non-compliant UAS flight. - Drone Service Providers Alliance

You're a heck of a pilot Skip, and an incredibly safe one. I'm surprised you're taking this stance.

Last edited:
Reactions: GFields and BigAl07
How does one submit for a planned flight in Yosemite? Where is the calendar for those open dates? I was under the impression it was totally banned.
This is the first I've heard of this. It's a great first step if true. I'm dealing with Mesa Verde NP right now to use a drone to film their own video for the visitor's center. They're being a royal pain about it. And it's for them. I hope this comes through for everyone.

Reactions: Enorda and MikeA
Although I would love to fly around in national parks and photograph the great scenery, when I'm backpacking or enjoying nature, I'm really happy that there aren't lots of drones buzzing around. Keeping some places wild is really important. There was a big issue many years ago about the incredible number of helicopters flying all over the Grand Canyon. I've backpacked the Canyon many times, and the difference, after they put strict limits on where helicopters can go, is amazing.

Although I would love to fly around in national parks and photograph the great scenery, when I'm backpacking or enjoying nature, I'm really happy that there aren't lots of drones buzzing around. Keeping some places wild is really important. There was a big issue many years ago about the incredible number of helicopters flying all over the Grand Canyon. I've backpacked the Canyon many times, and the difference, after they put strict limits on where helicopters can go, is amazing.

I'm with you 100% on this one. I LOVE flying to UAS but I love, appreciate, and respect the quietness when I'm out in the wilderness so much more.

Reactions: MikeA and JimD
We don't need drones in National Parks. We dont need to add fuel to the fire of 'karens' screaming their heads off about drones. I earn a living in the drone industry, and I really dont care if someone can take pictures for fun at a national park. That person is just going to create problems for professional pilots that are trying to earn a living with drones. By the way, some parks allow four wheelers and some dont. So its not like just 'because you pay taxes' you are 'entitled' to do what you want.

We're not allowed in "Wilderness". 😉
LOL

I intentionally didn't say "Wilderness Area" which is a whole other animal :)

Once I leave the city here in western NC we are in the wilderness but have to drive about 30 mins to get into a Wilderness Area. The WA is where we do the majority of our SAR operations :)

• Haha
Reactions: Vic Moss
Yeah, I'm with Jim too. I love our NP systems and State Parks too. I'm a long time holder of a Texas State Parks Passport and subscribe to the Texas Parks & Wildlife magazine. I frequently go camping, fishing, hiking, Birding and to overnight stargazing parties in my local State Parks. It's simply wonderful to get deep in the park and all you hear is the wind in the trees, chirping of the birds, sound of a trickling stream and all the great aromas of the forest.

The LAST thing I want to hear is an annoying drone buzzing overhead or ripping down a trail, flushing birds and scaring wildlife. (And annoying the HELL out of me)

I try to be understanding of others options, and each NP is different. Most tourist to Yosemite never really see the park. They end up in the village and wonder around the shops, possible take a ride up to Glacier Point and that's it. There are literally thousands of acres of untouched beauty that no one sees or visits and there is where I would love to take my Mavic throw it on the back my horse and get just above the trees and capture the beauty that most will never see. The High country in Yosemite is breathtaking but only accessible in the summer and very early fall.
I certainly don't want to rain on any ones moments of solitude, but where most go in the park there is very little solitude and reality is you would never hear a drone.
The way to see Yosemite is on horseback, they have a seven day ride that is worth every penny of it.

Reactions: MikeA

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM