Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Drone Mappers in CO/WY: Survey Laws and Drone Mapping

rwc

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Are there any mapping professionals here that work in Colorado or Wyoming and are familiar with what can be done in regards to mapping without a PLS and staying out of trouble with the state survey boards?

I'm planning on consulting a lawyer before pursuing this part of the drone services industry, but I figured I'd see what people actually doing this type of work in the area think.

I've been reading through land survey codes for Colorado, and it seems like as long as we aren't trying to alter or confirm real property boundaries or guaranteeing a specific number for accuracy in our data that mapping is allowed.

For background on what I'm looking to do, I'm an ecologist looking to use UAV mapping for forestry, ecological restoration, habitat assessment, and possibly agriculture and solar/wind inspection. I'm not planning on doing anything with construction or engineering, besides what little bit is involved in ecological restoration, which will mostly deal with earthmoving (grading, volumes, etc.).

Thank you!

Reactions: Gagey52 and MikeA
I’m surprised you’re even calling it surveys- we’ve used drones for FS and BLM to map spring sites and wetlands in the desert. No issues with the legality of doing that here as like you said, you’re not making a legal cadastral survey out of it.

But Wyoming has many strange laws, you can’t even divert the rain that falls on your roof into a barrel for your garden🙄

Reactions: MikeA and rwc
You're right, I'll need to be mindful not to use that word when discussing mapping products. Survey has a different meaning for ecology/biology but I should just try and forget the term altogether.

Reactions: MikeA
You're right, I'll need to be mindful not to use that word when discussing mapping products. Survey has a different meaning for ecology/biology but I should just try and forget the term altogether.
Call it a “field study”? I was a field biologist in my previous career before recently switching to teaching, and would have called it a survey as well, but I guess only we know what that means I guess!

I’m surprised you’re even calling it surveys- we’ve used drones for FS and BLM to map spring sites and wetlands in the desert. No issues with the legality of doing that here as like you said, you’re not making a legal cadastral survey out of it.

But Wyoming has many strange laws, you can’t even divert the rain that falls on your roof into a barrel for your garden🙄
Here's another fun one they are trying to get through right now.....

Reactions: rwc
Trespassing in airspace, FAA will probably not say anything about it though- stupid drone abusing paparazzi types caused this to happen like they did in California.

Reactions: rwc
For background on what I'm looking to do, I'm an ecologist looking to use UAV mapping for forestry, ecological restoration, habitat assessment, and possibly agriculture and solar/wind inspection. I'm not planning on doing anything with construction or engineering, besides what little bit is involved in ecological restoration, which will mostly deal with earthmoving (grading, volumes, etc.).

I’ve been looking into trying to work with ecologists or the Forest Service. I currently do multispectral imaging for crops and want to use that in forestry. I don’t know a whole ton about the multispec applications in forestry but up until a few weeks ago I didn’t know much about crops either so I’m happy to learn.
If you come across any interesting opportunities or unique solutions and want to share what you’ve learned I’d love to hear about them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaklein91