Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

FAA UAS facility maps - can you get authorization to fly in the ”0 feet” grids?

Called the tower this morning and asked about flying and they asked if I wanted to do it right now and I said that I wanted to do it later this afternoon. They said to call back closer to the time I want to fly. I’ll take that as a positive as they could have told me no right then and there. We will see what happens when I call back later. The person I talked to was very friendly.

I think that's a VERY good indicator. Well done. Keep us posted and make sure to get NAMES and document every aspect of it for your records to CYA.

Allen

Reactions: RickMC
I think that's a VERY good indicator. Well done. Keep us posted and make sure to get NAMES and document every aspect of it for your records to CYA.

Allen
I called back and they said they don’t give or deny permission and all they do is take my information down. They asked for name, phone number, location where I’d be flying, flight start and end time and what altitude I’d be flying at. All I said is I wanted to fly my drone 2 miles northeast of the airport. They didn’t even ask me what purpose it was for. Should I have told them it’s for commercial purposes? I figure if they don’t ask, they must not care about the reason I’m flying. He must assume I’m just a hobbyist since he said he can’t give or deny permission to fly where I did. But why wouldn’t he ask? So I guess I didn’t really get authorization to fly there then?

I called back and they said they don’t give or deny permission and all they do is take my information down. They asked for name, phone number, location where I’d be flying, flight start and end time and what altitude I’d be flying at. All I said is I wanted to fly my drone 2 miles northeast of the airport. They didn’t even ask me what purpose it was for. Should I have told them it’s for commercial purposes? I figure if they don’t ask, they must not care about the reason I’m flying. He must assume I’m just a hobbyist since he said he can’t give or deny permission to fly where I did. But why wouldn’t he ask? So I guess I didn’t really get authorization to fly there then?

Yes it makes a WORLD of difference. They don't approve/restrict HOBBY flights (unless it causes a safety issue). That was your first clue they thought you was flying for FUN not for Commercial purposes.

He didn't ask because Part 107 normally don't call anymore but utilize the portal or LAANC. Explain that you're a Professional Commercial Operator and this job came up in a ZERO grid and you'd like to get approval for something like 75' or so.

Yes it makes a WORLD of difference. They don't approve/restrict HOBBY flights (unless it causes a safety issue). That was your first clue they thought you was flying for FUN not for Commercial purposes.

He didn't ask because Part 107 normally don't call anymore but utilize the portal or LAANC. Explain that you're a Professional Commercial Operator and this job came up in a ZERO grid and you'd like to get approval for something like 75' or so.
I will call back tomorrow and try again, this time explaining the situation clearly. I was a little nervous calling ATC the first time so I was rushing to get off the phone. Hopefully when I talk to them again they don’t ask why I didn’t tell them I was Part 107 to begin with.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
Just tell them that you are new to this process and didn't realize until you got off the phone that they were thinking you were a hobbyist.

If they didn't deny you as a hobbyist due to any danger, I can't imagine (give the same conditions and traffic) they will deny you as a commercial operator. Wouldn't make sense. Frankly, I think it will put them at ease that you are Part 107.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07 and RickMC
I agree with MM53. They should be pleased you're Part 107 because at least then you have some idea of the rules and safety for the NAS.

With that being said, it's entirely possible they will "fall back" the memo FAA_JO_7200_23_2 and refer you to the portal or LAANC again. Just mention that you have a submission into LAANC but it's in the ZERO alt block and that you're requesting a minimal altitude (the least you can get by with).

Good luck and let us know.
Allen

I agree with MM53. They should be pleased you're Part 107 because at least then you have some idea of the rules and safety for the NAS.

With that being said, it's entirely possible they will "fall back" the memo FAA_JO_7200_23_2 and refer you to the portal or LAANC again. Just mention that you have a submission into LAANC but it's in the ZERO alt block and that you're requesting a minimal altitude (the least you can get by with).

Good luck and let us know.
Allen
Called ATC again and explained my situation. I told them it was a commercial operation and I know I’m supposed to get authorization via online but that it might take 30 to 90 days to get approval through LAANC since it’s zero grid and I was just seeing if I could get authorization through calling. He laughed when I said 30 to 90 days and then said “Yeah it’s fine”. I got approved for 150 feet. He took my name, number and other info and then told me to call back when I was done. That was pretty darn easy and it’s cool that ATC had no problem giving me the go ahead.

Last edited:
Called ATC again and explained my situation. I told them it was a commercial operation and I know I’m supposed to get authorization via online but that it might take 30 to 90 days to get approval through LAANC since it’s zero grid and I was just seeing if I could get authorization through calling. He laughed when I said 30 to 90 days and then said “Yeah it’s fine”. I got approved for 150 feet. He took my name, number and other info and then told me to call back when I was done. That was pretty darn easy and it’s cool that ATC had no problem giving me the go ahead.

Very well done. They are pretty easy going "usually". Remember we all have bad days at work so sometimes it doesn't quite go so well.

CONGRATS!!

Very well done. They are pretty easy going "usually". Remember we all have bad days at work so sometimes it doesn't quite go so well.

CONGRATS!!
Thanks. It definitely makes me more comfortable with calling ATC if I need to. And I think they appreciate the fact that I took the time to call and see that I’m being a responsible person. I just wish it was easier for commercial operators to get authorization in certain airspace. I don’t get how it’s so much easier for the hobbyist to fly almost wherever he wants and just has to notify tower. You would think it would be easier for a responsible commercial operator, not the hobbyist who could be reckless and irresponsible with the drone. Hopefully the laws change in that regard. Just seems ridiculous a commercial operator has to possibly wait days or weeks to get approval in some instances. Just my two cents on the issue.

Reactions: MapMaker53
Thanks. It definitely makes me more comfortable with calling ATC if I need to. And I think they appreciate the fact that I bothered to call in the first place. I just wish it was easier for commercial operators to get authorization in certain airspace. I don’t get how it’s so much easier for the hobbyist to fly wherever he wants and just has to notify tower. You would think it would be easier for a responsible commercial operator, not the hobbyist who could be reckless and not responsible with the drone. Hopefully the laws change in that regard. Just seems ridiculous a commercial operator has to possibly wait days or weeks to get approval in some instances.

That's another ball of wax and the FAA is currently working to resolve this huge difference. In the future things will be much more "logical" than they are now in relation to hobby vs commercial.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143