Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

GIS in Virginia

jefferson3

Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is great timing as I just joined the drone world (by way of SparkPilots) but have been very much keeping up with the trends in UAV/UAS technology over the years as it very much is used in the GIS (Geographic Information System) industry.

At work we are using a Phantom 4 for construction inspection/monitoring, but at home I just got a Spark. So you'll probably see me over on the SparkPilots forum as well trying to get the most out of that little guy!

If anyone wants to geek out over GIS and drones feel free to shoot me a message!

Thanks and looking forward to some awesome interactions!

P.S. I am currently working in local government, but I was previously with a renewable energy company that used drones for site inspections. A lot of cool stuff a drone can help accomplish!

Last edited:
Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the CommercialDronePilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge, for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in the commercial drone field.
Enjoy!

Thanks! I am looking forward to being part of the community and am happy to help contribute to the site as best I can.

Reactions: dirkclod
I teach GIS and Remote Sensing at a University in Northern New Jersey. I have been using my P4P, Dronedeploy and ESRI's Drone2map for GIS projects. I have been flying for recreation, research, and educational use but I'm starting to get requests from folk who want to pay me and my students, which sounds commercial to me. So I plan to take the 107 exam, take the Red Pill and see how deep this Rabbit Hole goes...

I teach GIS and Remote Sensing at a University in Northern New Jersey. I have been using my P4P, Dronedeploy and ESRI's Drone2map for GIS projects. I have been flying for recreation, research, and educational use but I'm starting to get requests from folk who want to pay me and my students, which sounds commercial to me. So I plan to take the 107 exam, take the Red Pill and see how deep this Rabbit Hole goes...

How difficult do you think it would be to break into GIS? I took 2 basic grad courses a few years back, got exposed to the GIS world and was able to learn basic information (ArcGIS 10) to get by. However, like anything in life, if you don't use it you loose it. Is there a good course(s) online you would recommend? preferably with a student copy of ESRI? I am not sure I would pursue the GIS certificate right away, but hoping to brush up and perhaps create personal projects with the use of UAS.

I think GIS is definitely playing a role with UAS stuff!

Hello and welcome to the forum. We are glad to have you on board. I'm confident you'll find lots of helpful and enlightening information throughout this forum.
Allen

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM