Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

GIS/Mapping/Surveying Capabilities?

REpro321

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just purchased a Yuneec H Plus a few months ago and I absolutely love taking the bird out for flights on the weekends. I am in the real estate field and so I have started a small side business doing aerial photography for real estate agents. However, I also have quite a bit of experience in GIS/Mapping and I'm curious if anyone has any experience with any mapping application, or if there is even a mapping capability with a Yuneec? I'm not quite sure which avenue to take but I know with my real estate experience, GIS knowledge, and a drone, I could definately see myself getting further into the commercial aspect for real estate developers, surveyors, civil engineers, etc. Any thoughts/insight is appreciated.

Thanks!
Nick

Hey Nick. We are heavily committed to the DJI platform but would love to talk further with you about mapping, GIS, etc. We are involved with a number of related projects. If you ever make your way over to the west coast of FL let us know (we have a retail store in Fort Myers). We get over to Melbourne, FL occasionally as well. Maybe one trip we could get together and talk about some ideas.

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with any mapping application, or if there is even a mapping capability with a Yuneec?
For a long time the only drone maker that had an SDK available for app developers was DJI which led to lots of developments of 3rd party software for DJI machines.
Have a look at DroneDeploy to see the kind of things that are out there.
There are other similar applications but very few for non-DJI machines.

Hello all,

I just purchased a Yuneec H Plus a few months ago and I absolutely love taking the bird out for flights on the weekends. I am in the real estate field and so I have started a small side business doing aerial photography for real estate agents. However, I also have quite a bit of experience in GIS/Mapping and I'm curious if anyone has any experience with any mapping application, or if there is even a mapping capability with a Yuneec? I'm not quite sure which avenue to take but I know with my real estate experience, GIS knowledge, and a drone, I could definately see myself getting further into the commercial aspect for real estate developers, surveyors, civil engineers, etc. Any thoughts/insight is appreciated.

Thanks!
Nick

Hi Nick.

We've been involved in mapping using the DJI platform. As long as Yuneec can fly a grid pattern and take pictures you should be good. You can even do this manually if you want, but that takes much longer (from experience). Once you get the images there are several applications you can use to process. We have used Photoscan, Pix4D, and several online versions like mapsmadeeasy.com and hosted desktop servers like WebODM. My personal choice is Pix4D or Photoscan depending on your pocket size and future work load.

Keep in mind that in some/most/all? states it is illegal to create a "map" for commercial purposes unless you are a licensed surveyor. Not sure if Professional Engineers are allowed? All of our mapping was done for Professional Surveryors. We were just the tool they hired to do the grunt work.

Good luck and God Bless!

<><
Cleve

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM