Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

How do you add a property outline to a picture?

cjc1103

Reaction score
I need to edit a picture of undeveloped land to add an outline in some contrasting color (yellow perhaps) of the property edges. I have Lightroom for post production, but I think I might need something else. Does anyone have some suggestions?

Z06Aggie

Reaction score
I need to edit a picture of undeveloped land to add an outline in some contrasting color (yellow perhaps) of the property edges. I have Lightroom for post production, but I think I might need something else. Does anyone have some suggestions?
I typically use Photoshop to draw lines for property boundaries. There may be a cheaper alternative out there, though.

JDS

Reaction score
If you are looking for cheep cheep---powerpoint, paint, word, PDF editors..

Meta4

Reaction score
This is basic for most graphics software.
It's a piece of cake in Photoshop, so should be in Lightroom too.

JRHowrll

Reaction score
SInce you’re already a Lightroom user, I’d recommend the Creative Cloud photography bundle. Includes Lightroom AND Photoshop and a few other products. Continuously updated for $10/mo.

JimD

Reaction score
Just use paint.
If you’re unfamiliar with Photoshop drawing a line is harder than you might think.

vindibona1

Reaction score
Just use paint.
If you’re unfamiliar with Photoshop drawing a line is harder than you might think.
I would disagree. It's not hard... just unfamiliar. It's actually quite easy if you have straight lines but only takes a drop of experience even if you need to make curved shapes. I checked Lightroom and didn't find a way to create lines or vectors. I'm sure there are other programs that will function like Photoshop without getting tied to the Borg for life. So, if Photoshop is available to you here are the basic instructions for creating a border/boundary/outline...

1) Select the PEN tool.
pen tool.jpg
2) Click the pen tool on the areas that you want to outline, coming back to and clicking onthe first "node" to join the outline that you have just laid, called a PATH.

box outline.jpg

3) Upon joining the first and last node, RIGHT CLICK and select "MAKE SELECTION". It will make the selection that you want to outline (create border).

4) Go to EDIT menu and scroll down until you see STROKE and click on it. That will bring up a dialog box.

edit menu.jpg
5) In the dialog box you select how wide you want the outline, what color and whether the stroke should be outside of the selection, inside or centered on it.

6) Click ok and you should have your outline/border/boundary.

yellow outline.jpg

Note: Alternately, if you cannot make the selection from the path itself, go to the Paths palette and right click on the Work Path and it will bring up the menu to Make a Selection.

Again, it really isn't that hard. Just unfamilar. Creating advanced paths with the pen tool takes a little practice, as complex shapes require two hands. But straight lines are simple. You can cheat curved lines with multiple clicks, but not as elegant or as easy to adjust as fewer, more efficient nodes.

Last edited:

dougcjohn

Reaction score
If your monitor provides an acceptable resolution, then a quality app to capture a screen shot works great!

One Screen (or section) capture app that’s free; provides ample tools to add lines, boxes, free hand, text, arrows, and a multiple array of colors is Greenshot.
I also believe there is a option to load a photo too.
Free for PC, minimal cost for Mac.
And it’s easy as heck, and quick!

If you use inexpensive tools, such as Topaz Software. You can pull that over to sharpen, or increase size & detail.

I agree on Adobe being overly pricey... when they adopted a monthly subscription... and my CS6 Mst Suite became non-compatible with new OS (Mac & PC), I flushed Adobe and haven’t missed them. Switched to OnOne Suite, Topaz, and the new Luminar 4 (new AI version soon, but 4 remains active)

All have costs... but upgrading is optional at your pace.

If an iPad Pro is your tool... and pencil
check out Procreate and Pixelmator & Pixelmator Photo. Procreate will pull in photo and using layers you can trace or draw on top... fade image and similar to tracing paper with more options. Pixelmator (set) are an iPad alternative to Photoshop.

plus as mentioned... multiple free options too.
Adobe was King years back, many alternatives to consider.

On the alternatives of Adobe products... Video Editors: Final Cut Pro, DaVinci Resolve and a super iPad Pro app: LumaFusion (This app will amaze you, does a better multi-track editor than compared to any PC editor program running on low-mid powered PC’s (ie: notebooks).

Last edited:

Earthman

Reaction score
In most states in the USA, you are not permitted to show property lines or claim to be providing a map or figure that includes property lines unless you are a licensed surveyor or engineer.

You can be reported to the state licensing board by any PE, PLS, or disgruntled client or property owner and the board may fine you hundreds or thousands of dollars. Read the appropriate laws of your state for the applicable fines.

I’m a PE and manage PEs and PLSs and have looked into this for our engineering and surveying work.

You may be able to get away with what you are trying to do by including a prominent note on the figure indicating that 1) you are not a PE or PLS, 2) you are only showing the approximate locations of property lines, and 3) you are not responsible for the misuse of the information shown. However, I am not an attorney familiar with the laws of your state, so you may want to consult an attorney for better guidance.

Reactions: R.Perry

MapMaker53

Reaction score
Website
www.zazzle.com
In most states in the USA, you are not permitted to show property lines or claim to be providing a map or figure that includes property lines unless you are a licensed surveyor or engineer.
I've been preparing maps (aerials and drawings) for our projects across every state for the past 44 years for both private business and government. Anyone is allowed to draw a property line on an aerial or drawing without fear of legal repercussion by simply referring to it via a call out (label with arrow) or in a legend as being an "approximate boundary". There is no need for those other disclaimers and you do not need to be a professional engineer, which I am not. I work with many third-party drawings in every state and rarely find that property boundaries ever match up perfectly when overlaying two maps. Sometimes the actually property shapes are different or distorted. I'm sure you must run into that and I'm sure none of the parties ever gets into trouble over it. One can never assume any property line on a map is perfectly accurate unless it displays a signed engineer's stamp or is from a surveyor. Any descent lawyer in any state would advise a potential property buyer of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: SanCap and Meta4

Meta4

Reaction score
I would disagree. It's not hard... just unfamiliar. It's actually quite easy if you have straight lines but only takes a drop of experience even if you need to make curved shapes. I checked Lightroom and didn't find a way to create lines or vectors. I'm sure there are other programs that will function like Photoshop without getting tied to the Borg for life. So, if Photoshop is available to you here are the basic instructions for creating a border/boundary/outline...

1) Select the PEN tool.
It's even quicker and simpler to use the pencil tool for straight lines (and most property boundaries are straight lines).
Google will always find plenty of good instructions and tutorials for things like this

vindibona1

Reaction score
It's even quicker and simpler to use the pencil tool for straight lines (and most property boundaries are straight lines).
Google will always find plenty of good instructions and tutorials for things like this
Yeah, you could do that too. ;) It's funny, but before the fancy green screen and automated background replacement, over the years I had to strip thousands of products out of backgrounds and then save the files as EPS with clipping paths- so the pen tool is second nature to me. I think it's one of those tools that folks avoid because it take a little practice to get use to, but I find it often the most efficient and precise way to make many selections. With Photoshop there is always three ways you can approach a task which I catagorize as a) the chain saw, b) the butcher knife, and c) the scalpel :).

MavicAir2Marc

Reaction score
I use the lasso tool and hold the option key down, it will draw straight lines and wherever you let go of the option key, it will connect in a straight line to the original point. You can constrain it to horizontal and vertical lines by adding the shift key. Then stroke the path as Vindabona says above. I find it a lot quicker myself to do it that way (I've been using PS since before they had layers and use it every day at work where speed is everything). Curved lines though, the pen tool makes quick work using Bezier curves. With Photoshop, you can do the same thing 12 different ways.

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff member
DSAR Member
Reaction score
We take it one step more.... we pull the property up on GIS, replicate the exact property lines using whatever graphics program is at hand, and then overlay those on the aerial with a disclaimer, "Property lines are an estimation only".

Not only has this never been questioned (we work in several states) our work has been used in the Court of Law on 3 different occasions to settle land/legal disputes.

Fred Garvin

Reaction score
Website
orbisdroneservices.com
If you're on MAC or IOS...I use the stock Photos app a lot for this. Apple has really powered it up lately.

Just drop the image on the Photos icon. Go into Photos and select the image. Click Edit, then the small circle with 3 dots, Markup. Bingo...draw whatever you want. Freehand, shapes, text, colored boxes...all sorts of stuff.

Then just click Done and drag/drop the image back to your desktop.

Quick, simple, free. (If you're Apple)

chasco

Reaction score
Website
www.chasco.com
You can try GIMP. Or for more accurate representation of the property georeference the image in QGIS. You can use coordinates from Google Earth Pro and even import a KML file. Many ways to skin this cat.

Reactions: Fred Garvin

Fred Garvin

Reaction score
Website
orbisdroneservices.com
Google Earth Pro and even import a KML file.
One of my clients does this. He sends me a KML he’s already done and I load it into GE on my iPad. Onsite I pull it up for an overhead with the boundaries clearly marked, and in some cases specific points they want focused on and even shot angles. Pretty cool!

Reactions: chasco

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mujeresnadamas