Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

M210 V2 RTK data finally in EXIF?

JoeChello

Reaction score
Anyone know if the new version of the Matrice 210 RTK finally embeds the RTK GPS data into the EXIF allowing high end precision? It looks like this might be the new TimeSync system, but I am not sure how to interpret their website:

That is how I understand it. And It's what I'm betting on... We ordered the 210 RTK V2 last week and should have ours by the end of the month.

Not sure yet, as it appears the 210 v2 can now accommodate the Zenmuse X7, which does have the mechanical shutter. Still need data and input on whether that is preferable to the X5s (which I believe it is since the X5 does not have the global shutter making it less than optimal for mapping).

Here is someone else's video on the combination they elected to go with:

What lens did you order with this?
We didn't order any separate lenses at this time. We have a class coming up next month on Pix4D and were going to wait to get their opinions. Right now that's last on my list with the problems we're having. I made another post this morning on all the issues we're having with the V2.
Matrice 210 RTK V2

In response to your question about the MicroSD card slot, it is located on the left side of the unit right in front of the RTK antennae.

We didn't order any separate lenses at this time. We have a class coming up next month on Pix4D and were going to wait to get their opinions. Right now that's last on my list with the problems we're having. I made another post this morning on all the issues we're having with the V2.
Matrice 210 RTK V2

In response to your question about the MicroSD card slot, it is located on the left side of the unit right in front of the RTK antennae.
Sorry to hear about the issues you are having. If there is anything that is not a software bug you are waiting for DJi to fix let us know. We are happy to help anyone regardless of where they made their purchase.

In response to your question about GPS data being embedded into the photo files, yes it is.
View attachment 1234
what's Unclear to me is. The m210rtk V2 has an RTK GPS and a consumer grade GPS. I heard somewhere that the exif data is coming from the consumer grade GPS. The most recent firmware update shows the X7 using the RTK data and the RTK data stored in the same folder as the photos. With my X4s and X5S cameras I have never noticed a separate file with the photos and only see GPS data in the exif data. Nothing that says RTK data. Z data may be off by several feet to hundreds of feet. For the life me I have yet had someone give me an answer to this. At this point the RTK is great for stability and more accurate flying. But you still need gcp’s unless you have a X7 for mapping.
Does anyone have any definitive info on this?

Hey all,

I flew today using the D-RTK2 base and M210v2 RTK.
Using an X4S camera, I believe it does encode accurate coordinates to each photo..

Rundown of methodology:
* Coordinate base marker (Aluminium Plug In Conc.) using CORS corrected GNSS unit.
* Coordinate a few GCPs
* Export Base coordinates in Decimal Degrees Geographical (Lats/Longs)
* set up D-RTK2 base and turn on.
* measure height of D-RTK2 pole + add the 142mm for antenna.
* turn on M210v2 RTK and Pilot App (CS)
* wait for “RTK” setting to change to “FIX”
* Change D-RTK2 coordinates to my new ones via the advanced options tab.
* save this change, reboot M210v2RTK
* wait for re-initialisation of M210v2RTK.
* set a waypoints mission (mapping) via Pilot app.
* choose camera (I had to enter a custom one for the x4s - had to search internet for all the random specs.)
* choose the overlap and all the usual..
* fly as usual.

Now, with regard to the post flight..
I need to look to see where to find the RINEX data which DJI say should have been written for the flight.. (not sure given I didn’t use the x7)

- when I dropped the photos (straight off the SD Card) into a Pix4D project, the photos had GPS accuracies under 0.1m. And when I processed the data, final output numbers were sitting at XYZ
I’ll re-process and check all the options and settings again tomorrow (a-bit distracted this afternoon) just to ensure it wasn’t a lucky click..

Ultimately, this was just a quick 12min flight, ~220photos and 5 GCPs, over 200sqm..
When the weather improves later this week, I’ll have another crack and see how it performs.. might extend to a larger area/GCPs/check points.

But, all in all.. happy with initial data.. flight planning in Pilot could be better.. (All functional DJI cameras should be choosable)

Will keep you all updated.. see how it goes..

A.

what's Unclear to me is. The m210rtk V2 has an RTK GPS and a consumer grade GPS. I heard somewhere that the exif data is coming from the consumer grade GPS. The most recent firmware update shows the X7 using the RTK data and the RTK data stored in the same folder as the photos. With my X4s and X5S cameras I have never noticed a separate file with the photos and only see GPS data in the exif data. Nothing that says RTK data. Z data may be off by several feet to hundreds of feet. For the life me I have yet had someone give me an answer to this. At this point the RTK is great for stability and more accurate flying. But you still need gcp’s unless you have a X7 for mapping.
Does anyone have any definitive info on this?

I fly a BirdsEyeView Firefly 6 Pro with a Sony RX1R II 42 megapixel camera for mapping with an RTK base station that connects to the GCS. The RX1R II is not a "mapping" camera in that it does not write geo data to the EXIF file; rather, it stores it in a separate file with other flight data. Post flight, it is necessary to download the images captured into a directory on my PC along with the flight records. Both must be in the same folder. Part of the GCS software includes a routine that reads the image EXIF data and merges the flight records/geo data with the images. After that step I can run Pix4D and process the DSM. DTM and ortho.

As far as control points go, even with millimeter grade GPS control points make sense. You do not have to use them as control. Instead, you can use them as check points to verify that the geodata is correct and you didn't waste your time and effort on the flight. If, in fact, the geodata is off, you can then re-run the post processing and use them as control points to georeference the job and your efforts were not in vain.

Technology fails when you need it most. Being solely reliant on technology without a failsafe is just bad business. The RTK stream will fail at some point. Maybe not today or tomorrow but it will go south when you need the data. Having a backup plan to fall back on when it goes south just makes good business sense. Using control on mapping or survey flights is a pain in the !@# but it is necessary if that is how you make your living.

Reactions: gordona000

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM