Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

New Thermal Aircraft...

Put the link :)

What I see of advantage is in MSX, but there are 2 degrees of difference, is understood by the difference in time between shots? It is also being compared to a very short distance, to longer distances, how about?

I'm with ya on several points... it's a small 160 sensor which limits it's distance & detail.
Then on the other hand, it's a small portable craft targeted for maybe closer work.

The M2E Dual for the same 160 sensor is simply over priced, and actually for the intended purposes I think is "over" equipped with sensors that would need to be turned off to navigate in close quarters. Fly a MA or MP inside a house, it can't move about much with all the sensors on.

As a DJI Owner, including M2P and greatly appreciates all the 3rd party apps for DJI crafts and several strengths DJI holds in comparison to several crafts; I wasn't interested in the M2D due to limitations & price.

Along came the Anafi Thermo at roughly half the cost, I gained an interest in a small thermo.
The Anafi itself gets positive reviews, I like the quite small package... other than it's odd looks. I like some of the features: battery USB charging, and 180 degree Gimbal. I haven't read anything that indicates a bad investment if you've accepted the 160 sensor limitations.

The FLIR sensor MSX method to mix RGB is one area I had hoped Parrot would have copied. Their method is similar but to my eyes, I think the MSX provides greater detail... maybe wrong, haven't seen either in person.
At close range, they both appear to provide useable detail... so it might not be an issue.

I'm looking forward to a large 640-R camera, but not a justified purchase for me at the present. More of a "want" to obtain exposure and gain experience within the Thermo projects. Like @R.P..R, been looking at the H520 option E10T 640R version that is rumored without reality... and that isn't a reliable path with Yuneec. The Zenmuse XT or XT2 are likely, but waiting for a nice value resale package... which are rare.

I had 2 Yuneec CGO-ET, which I found basically useless... and they alone were about half the cost of Anafi Thermon that is Radiometric. For the low cost investment, I'm hopeful the Anafi Thermo would present value in both close in work and to expand my understanding of Thermo evaluation and flying.

I'm with ya on several points... it's a small 160 sensor which limits it's distance & detail.
Then on the other hand, it's a small portable craft targeted for maybe closer work.

The M2E Dual for the same 160 sensor is simply over priced, and actually for the intended purposes I think is "over" equipped with sensors that would need to be turned off to navigate in close quarters. Fly a MA or MP inside a house, it can't move about much with all the sensors on.

As a DJI Owner, including M2P and greatly appreciates all the 3rd party apps for DJI crafts and several strengths DJI holds in comparison to several crafts; I wasn't interested in the M2D due to limitations & price.

Along came the Anafi Thermo at roughly half the cost, I gained an interest in a small thermo.
The Anafi itself gets positive reviews, I like the quite small package... other than it's odd looks. I like some of the features: battery USB charging, and 180 degree Gimbal. I haven't read anything that indicates a bad investment if you've accepted the 160 sensor limitations.

The FLIR sensor MSX method to mix RGB is one area I had hoped Parrot would have copied. Their method is similar but to my eyes, I think the MSX provides greater detail... maybe wrong, haven't seen either in person.
At close range, they both appear to provide useable detail... so it might not be an issue.

I'm looking forward to a large 640-R camera, but not a justified purchase for me at the present. More of a "want" to obtain exposure and gain experience within the Thermo projects. Like @R.P..R, been looking at the H520 option E10T 640R version that is rumored without reality... and that isn't a reliable path with Yuneec. The Zenmuse XT or XT2 are likely, but waiting for a nice value resale package... which are rare.

I had 2 Yuneec CGO-ET, which I found basically useless... and they alone were about half the cost of Anafi Thermon that is Radiometric. For the low cost investment, I'm hopeful the Anafi Thermo would present value in both close in work and to expand my understanding of Thermo evaluation and flying.

I will be taking your lead once again, Doug. I hope you post your findings on here and do a review as well.

Here is a quick video about the Parrot ANAFI Thermal.
Are the photos captured on Anafi-T, useable in Flir Tools software. Watching the ITC training video showed the JPG photos on Flir handhelds contain all the metadata to be used in Flir tools for the Radiometric and ability to analyze the photos, build boxes or data points. It looked like the Flir One Pro also provided the metadata and it uses the same 160 sensor, so was curious if that was also captured. Do the JPGs from the Anafi provide that functionality too?

I was under the assumption it had to be the older Flir photo images with the proprietary extensions, but it appears the new models all capture the data and present as a JPG extension... although it still requires the Flir Tools SW to access the specialized metadata.

Can you capture a video image frame(s) with similar metadata from the Anafi-T?

Within the Flir Tools Sw, where it refers to the MSX options to vary the RGB layer, does that apply to the Anafi's RGB layer too?

Hi DOug,

Are the photos captured on Anafi-T, useable in Flir Tools software....

Absolutely

... Do the JPGs from the Anafi provide that functionality too?...

Yes

...I was under the assumption it had to be the older Flir photo images with the proprietary extensions, but it appears the new models all capture the data and present as a JPG extension... although it still requires the Flir Tools SW to access the specialized metadata...

All radiometric capable cameras has the option to capture "rJPEG" formats.

...Can you capture a video image frame(s) with similar metadata from the Anafi-T?

Flir Tools doesn't care what IR camera it pulls the image from, as long as the for mat is rJPEG.

...Within the Flir Tools Sw, where it refers to the MSX options to vary the RGB layer, does that apply to the Anafi's RGB layer too?

Yes

Reactions: dougcjohn
Hi DOug,
Absolutely

Yes

All radiometric capable cameras has the option to capture "rJPEG" formats.

Flir Tools doesn't care what IR camera it pulls the image from, as long as the for mat is rJPEG.
Yes
Great to hear!
Especially from one with it in hand!
Is the format called rJPEG?
All good news, makes it more inviting!

@R.P..R if interested, you might take a look at the Flir One Pro... a step up from the One Pro LT.
Able to use the Flir Tools SW, it provides essentially a ground version of the Anifa-T (and M2E Dual).
Flir One Pro @ $330 Amazon - Available USB-C, Lighting, MicroUSB.

Reactions: Outta Control
Can you capture a video image frame(s) with similar metadata from the Anafi-T?
@Otta Control ya got me to look it up... Thanks!
The rJPEG is FLIR's Radiometric JPEG; something new for me.

Regarding the Video:
I may have read too quickly... or misunderstood. This Radiometric does not apply to videos due to radiometric metadata not existing in the MPeg4 Video file? Or are you indicating it is in the video mp4 or if you captured a few video frames, would there be radiometric metadata? I'm assuming that's a negative.

Regarding the Video:
I may have read too quickly... or misunderstood. This Radiometric does not apply to videos due to radiometric metadata not existing in the MPeg4 Video file? Or are you indicating it is in the video mp4 or if you captured a few video frames, would there be radiometric metadata? I'm assuming that's a negative.

You are correct Radiometric reading are only captured through JPEG format.

Similar to Photogrammetry, JPEG's compression format allows instantaneous data capture to each pixel. Data such as radiometric at the pixel level and GPS in the EXIF file.

OK. Please explain to me how the DJI is so Uber cool, and the Anafi is junk? Simply because the Mavic was used in a SAR?
Think it comes down to market density and the associated Brand recognition. Is Nike any better than Adidas, Puma or Converse... Nope, but which brand does the herd select... Nike... why, brand and the celebrities. Substitute Nike with DJI and celebrities with SAR, Rescue or Government. As long as DJI doesn't take a major stumble, their market dominance will probably feed itself and gain. Now, if you had a few drones explode, go crazy, strike people or some type of negative it’ll open the door for a short period providing another Player to attempt to push a market change... until brain fade restores balance. Kinda what happened with Adidas in the sport world and Nike jumped!

My personal “older” quick recall of Parrot is poor, sub-standard. Not based on their new products but their AR Drone that was heavily marketed. I had a few of those versions and later stepped up to a Mavic and didn’t give Parrot a 2nd look for years.

Market side... A fully sensored M2ED is more impressive than the Anafi to the mass... and it costs So much more... must be better! And the public recognized celebrities (SAR, LEO, etc) all use DJI.

I personally like the Anafi-T... for intended role, a small thermo craft. The 180 gimbal I think has more value than all the sensors. Overall, I think the Anafi-T is a better package for small thermo. I like my M2P/Z a lot for it’s intended purpose.

Now, if the Anafi had DJI Branding and used the Go4 App, I’m sure it’d be a super innovative craft.

Last edited:
@R.P..R if interested, you might take a look at the Flir One Pro... a step up from the One Pro LT.
Able to use the Flir Tools SW, it provides essentially a ground version of the Anifa-T (and M2E Dual).
Flir One Pro @ $330 Amazon - Available USB-C, Lighting, MicroUSB.
Little disappointed with the hand held One Pro unit received a few days ago. The 160 resolution isn't bad for the distance and subject matter... actually better with MSX than expected.

The issues I feel make it a returnable product: 1) Battery, short 50-60 min life, lengthy charge time, about 1 hr. 2) Finicky to connect, must remember to turn OnePro on before connecting to phone, slow performer. 3) The MSX feature is nice, but not a lot of range to adjust the parallelism... if close, exp: breaker box, it may be skewed, just noticed at different range... 10-20 ft.. it was skewed and slider was all the way over. 4) It's a Flir camera but doesn't use the same color overlay names or views. White Hot, Black Hot, etc aren't in it's selection.

The connector can adjust for case thickness... very nice idea others should apply. I'd personally like to see the mount able to pivot or rotate. But I do like how it allows you to flip phone upside down with camera on top, keeps palm out of camera view.

Still evaluating, but not sure I'll be keeping this one. Still an amazing little device, amazing they can make such a small unit. But not sure if it's a tool I'd use after new wears off.

Reactions: KneeBeard

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM