Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Part 107 License Renewal

AviationBroker

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
With the two year anniversary of Part 107 quickly approaching, what is the procedure to renew the license? Do Part 107 operators have to take another test? Or, is the license simply renewed online or via USPS?

With the two year anniversary of Part 107 quickly approaching, what is the procedure to renew the license? Do Part 107 operators have to take another test? Or, is the license simply renewed online or via USPS?

It's unclear at this time as to exactly how a renewal will be accomplished. FAA does say "...certificate holders must pass a recurrent knowledge test every two years..." but, it doesn't say if the entire Part 107 test has to be taken as it was initially, or if there is some sort of modified test for renewals.

Becoming a Pilot

It will be interesting to see how it all sorts out. I'm watching a video and looking over my notes every once in a while, besides being a good idea to keep the info fresh in my mind, I really don't want to start over when renewal time arrives.

Reactions: Ken Crist
Good question. Although mine will require renewal in March of 19 I am reviewing the Test Prep now. Can never get enough knowledge. I bought the FAR 2018 to review as well. I am going to take another on line course as well. Which one I have not chosen as of yet. I am leaning towards the Gold Seal. As Russ states, stay tuned.

Reactions: BigAl07
@Rodger you won't be disappointed with Gold Seal. They really have set the bar VERY high in this industry. We use and suggest them to all of our clients we work with.

Reactions: Delta Blue
Thanks for your input. Most likely I will go that way. RemotePilot 101 was OK I did get a 90 but there really isn't a foundation there. I had to build that myself which is not a problem mind you. I used Youtube quite a bit in regards to airspace and what I watched was for manned flight. I have to really see and understand it in my mind so I can sort out the scenarios. I think Gold Seal builds that foundation. thanks again for your thoughts.
r

I am a real fan of Russ's Gold Seal courses, so know his program is excellent. I already took advantage of getting my 107 certificate without charge by using the FAA opportunity that was offered to already rated fixed wing pilots who had a minimum requirement of completing a flight review within the past two years. My theory is that as long as you don't have any violations while operating as a 107 pilot, the renewal process might be very basic. It might mean that you have to take a shorter online test after reviewing regs, etc.

Reactions: Russ Still
Interesting. I have my 107 certificate but I want to keep learning. The renewal process seems to be a bit of a mystery at this point. I am going to take Russ' course this time even though my previous course is available tome for life. What peaked my interest in the Gold Seal was the illustration that he posted of the airport approach. My previous course I had to draw that out myself to get a handle on the upwind, downwind, base, and final.

Reactions: Russ Still
As a licensed airplane pilot, all I had to do was an online course on the FAA website and take its associated test. I am wondering if this will be the requirement for renewals as well (mine is coming up on Aug 31). Of course, most of the material is well engrained in my head due to my main job.

I am guessing at the moment, that this course and test will be what is required for renewals. Would love to see what the FAA puts out on its guidance for renewals.

I leaned with Gold Seal, and passed with an A on the exam but still missed a couple of questions that the FAA threw into the mix that had not been covered. It is a great course and the practice quizzes helped a lot. I have about a year or so until renewal and remember learning somewhere that the renewal exam would not be as extensive as the initial exam. Gold Seal is active I think for at least three years so hopefully the practice exams will help again.

Lifetime! ...did not know that, but that is FANTASTIC! ...and thank you too for helping me get the A...
By the way, Russ, I am already anticipating that based on knowing the high level of excellence that Gold Seal operates at, once the renewal tests start becoming common, there will be refresher reviews and quizzes for that kind of thing at Gold Seal...just a personal prediction and hope...

It's unclear at this time as to exactly how a renewal will be accomplished. FAA does say "...certificate holders must pass a recurrent knowledge test every two years..." but, it doesn't say if the entire Part 107 test has to be taken as it was initially, or if there is some sort of modified test for renewals.

Becoming a Pilot
I am a licensed private pilot and according to the FAA website, I can get my sUAS certificate online, by completing the free course they have. I completed the course and at the end of it,it says to Exit the course and take the test. All well and good, except when I EXIT there is no link to take the 60 Question test.

I am praying someone can provide a direct link to the test here. Anyone?

TIA

TW

I am a licensed private pilot and according to the FAA website, I can get my sUAS certificate online, by completing the free course they have. I completed the course and at the end of it,it says to Exit the course and take the test. All well and good, except when I EXIT there is no link to take the 60 Question test.

I am praying someone can provide a direct link to the test here. Anyone?

TIA

TW

First off WELCOME to the forum :)

I don't think there IS a direct link because the system requires you to take the course and then the link is provided. I could be wrong as things might have changed since I took mine in 2016.

Have you tried using a different browser and logging in again to the same page? It could be a Spam/PopUp Blocker setting causing the problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM