Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

RC Aircraft

From what I have seen it sounds like a great hobby, and can sure help in teaching the basics of flight. I originally purchased a drone for business purposes, but have also had a lot of fun with it. When I went to the Avion school in Huntsville they had fixed wing aircraft they used for mapping and also that the Army used, pretty high tech stuff.

I've been flying RC airplane and helicopters since I was 11 years old, 52 years now. It has been an awesome hobby. I have friends all over the country, and in fact from other countries. It is a great foundation for flying multicopters. Understanding orientation, and how it changes depending on if you’re coming in or going away, makes a huge difference. I fly RC for fun and I;m fortunate to be a sponsored pilot for FutabaUSA. Futaba is one of the premier manufacturers of hobby RC in the world. Also big in industrial RC, factory cranes, etc.

I fly drones as a tool to get a camera airborne. Being able to control the drone effectively is a critical step in making the camera effective.

Reactions: BigAl07
I have a question. Watched some guys flying RC aircraft. When they landed they seemed make their approaches fairly fast. How do you judge your approach speed for landing?

I have a question. Watched some guys flying RC aircraft. When they landed they seemed make their approaches fairly fast. How do you judge your approach speed for landing?

Visually and with experience. Most model guys tend to not understand how an airplane flies or the relationship between throttle and elevator, especially during landing. RC landings can be pretty musing.

Speaking only for myself, I like to see some sky between the trees and the airplane -- because small differences in depth are hard to judge at distance. You can't hit the tree with an RC plane when you are trying (and the opposite is also true.)

To put some numbers on it, I would estimate a typical RC approach has a glideslope in the range of 6-10 degrees. I say this because I've developed an autonomous UAV landing system where I can set the exact glideslope angle and 6-7 degrees ends up looking pretty shallow comparatively -- narrow margins with the tree tops on approach compared to typical RC planes landing in the same location. I wish this captured a bit more of the approach, but here is 6.5 degrees glide slope (flown by the computer all the way to touch down.) R. Perry I know you know this, but for the quad-copter jocks, a typical full size airplane approach is closer to 3 degrees or a tad higher to give a little safety margin. I forget what it is coming into a carrier, probably way steeper and way more terrifying!

(You would be right to observe that landing did not have much flare ... the autoland system does flare, but it was a little late on that landing. The main goal is to fly the approach into the ground and stick it for no bounce.)

Many RC designs are very draggy and can do an 8-10 degree glideslope without over speeding. The overwhelming majority of daily flyer airplanes at my club tend to be high power, high drag, with lots of stability margin in order to account for the fact that the pilot isn't in the cockpit feeling every little change immediately. RC planes (the ones that survive for a few flights at least!) tend to be very forgiving and have the ability to power out of some pretty sketchy situations.

I've been told by flight test engineers that pilots tend to be in one of two categories: high gain or low gain. High gain pilots hit the controls fast and hard to put the plane where they want it. They might over do it on the first input, but the also catch it quickly. Low gain pilots tend to be slow and smooth on the controls and let the airplane do the work. I don't mean to say this in a biased sounding way -- from the perspective of flight data, both pilot strategies tend to achieve the objective in about the same amount of time so one approach doesn't necessarily score better than the other; they are just different styles.

This high/low gain difference comes to mind when I'm at the RC field watching landings. Some pilots are definitely high gain. They are working the elevator and ailerons hard all the way to touch down. Some pilots are super gentle on the controls ... they try to trim for target approach speed, slowly change throttle settings, use the elevator to correct but not force -- let the airplane do the work rather than do the work themselves. I don't think either approach wins with respect to who has a better chance of hitting the touch down spot. At my club high 5's are in order if you keep the whole landing on our rather small runway and don't overrun (or touch down on) the grass. :)

So wish me luck, later today we are heading out to try to re-maiden our 14' 1/2 scale X-56 project powered by twin electric ducted fans.

Visually and with experience. Most model guys tend to not understand how an airplane flies or the relationship between throttle and elevator, especially during landing. RC landings can be pretty musing.

The guys at the flying field always said, "How are your landings so smooth?"....

Well it's because I practice landing and pay attention to the aircraft. Many of my fellow RC pilots land 1x per flight and there are days when I'll do probably 50+ landings (touch n go) getting my landings just right.

Many of my RC counterparts literally just fly the airplane into the ground and hope for the best LOL.

For me the secret to a good landing was and is always remembering throttle control altitude, elevator controls airspeed, and keep the nose down in the turns for the approach. Those that usually bungle a landing do the opposite.

Reactions: Phaedrus
Flying gliders teaches that elevator is the primary speed control, especially on landing. In model soaring competitions we have to place the tip of the nose of a 4-meter span glider as close to a nail in the ground as possible and as close to the end of the time target for the flight. Most RC power guys are happy not breaking a prop on landing.

Hey, we successfully RC'd our airplane today. This is a 1/2 scale X-56 project. I made a video. The landing smacked in hard because (I think) I ran out of elevator authority in the flare. This was our maiden flight so we are still getting things tuned. We touched down about 15 mph above our predicted stall speed so I don't think that was the issue. Anyway, super excited that everything worked so well and we got everything back in one piece! Happy to say more about the project if anyone has questions:

Thanks guys for all your input, I learned a few things. That video seemed more like a controlled crash or a carrier landing.
Running out of elevator, now that seems like an aerodynamic problem not necessarily approach speed.
Glide slop angle and be dependent on other factors. I allway liked a high angle but low on the glide slop, I know that doesn't make sense, but I alway approach at a high angle the as I get close normally drop below the glide slop. Now I know some of you professional guys are going probably bounce on me, just remember who taught me to fly.

Hey, we successfully RC'd our airplane today. This is a 1/2 scale X-56 project. I made a video. The landing smacked in hard because (I think) I ran out of elevator authority in the flare. This was our maiden flight so we are still getting things tuned. We touched down about 15 mph above our predicted stall speed so I don't think that was the issue. Anyway, super excited that everything worked so well and we got everything back in one piece! Happy to say more about the project if anyone has questions:

I'd almost bet you ran out of lift there at the end. I think "more elevator authority" might precipitate some additional issues.

Thanks for sharing and yes I would like to know more about your research platform there.

I'd almost bet you ran out of lift there at the end. I think "more elevator authority" might precipitate some additional issues.
Thanks for sharing and yes I would like to know more about your research platform there.

We'll have to dig into the flight data some more today to get more accurate airspeed numbers ... but our predicted stall speed is around 13 mps (about 26 kts.) During flight, at times we were safely cruising at 17 mps (again, well above our predicted stall speed of 13 mps). We touched down around 20 mps (40 kts) so we should have had plenty of air moving over the wing and still should have had tons of lift. We were flying with the CG at the forward end of the range. It was the maiden flight so there are still lots of potential unknowns with the aircraft's flight behavior.

The wings are designed to be flexible and bendy and go into flutter modes in the upper end of the speed range. But each wing has 6 control surfaces and we have spiffy flight control strategies and sensors, so the goal is to suppress the natural flutter with our flight control system at higher airspeeds. This would potentially allow designers to make thinner, lighter, (bendier) wings. Less weight generally means more fuel efficient and all that good stuff.

The goal of the first flight of any new research aircraft is to survive well enough to get to the 2nd flight, and so on. :)

Curt.

Curt it sounds like you know your DATA very well. I'd venture to guess my previous assumption was wrong in light of your last response. While I have decades of aviation experience (21 years manned and 45 years unmanned) I don't have it on the level that you're working on here. I'm a pilot with lots of experience flying and a designer with NO experience designing LOL.

I'd be curious to hear about some high altitude "stall speed" tests so you can confirm the predicted (and I would guess accurate) stall #'s and aircraft stall characteristics. When flying planes I tend to venture around closer to the stall speed (Vs) than maximum (Vne). R/C speaking not manned LOL.

Keep up the testing and I look forward to hearing more about it.

Curt it sounds like you know your DATA very well. I'd venture to guess my previous assumption was wrong in light of your last response. While I have decades of aviation experience (21 years manned and 45 years unmanned) I don't have it on the level that you're working on here. I'm a pilot with lots of experience flying and a designer with NO experience designing LOL.

I'd be curious to hear about some high altitude "stall speed" tests so you can confirm the predicted (and I would guess accurate) stall #'s and aircraft stall characteristics. When flying planes I tend to venture around closer to the stall speed (Vs) than maximum (Vne). R/C speaking not manned LOL.

Keep up the testing and I look forward to hearing more about it.

No worries, when I go back and watch the video again, my first thought as well is that it sure looks like we ran out of airspeed, except I'm pretty sure we didn't. We'll see -- the NTSB hasn't released it's full report yet. :) It is definitely an interesting (and complex) project. We have a flight control system in between the RC pilot (me) and the control surfaces. I guess you would call that a fly-by-wire system. We have custom control surface mixers and different modes that we can fly in. That increases the chance that something could have been going on at the flight computer level and maybe a quick gain adjustment will help. We'll sift through the data, make our best determination/fix, and go fly again in the next week or two hopefully. And hopefully each time out we'll gain confidence in the aircraft and push further towards the edges of the flight envelope. However for the first few flights it will be all about just collecting flight data, exciting the control surfaces in various ways and measuring the aircraft response, and then doing that at different airspeeds -- boring stuff like that. Then we hand the data off to the smart people and they figure out how to improve the simulator model and better tune the flight control system and flutter suppression system. I'm just the pilot ... my job is to sit in the seat and steer, but otherwise I'm not supposed to touch any of the fancy switches or foul anything up.

• Haha
The guys at the flying field always said, "How are your landings so smooth?"....

Well it's because I practice landing and pay attention to the aircraft. Many of my fellow RC pilots land 1x per flight and there are days when I'll do probably 50+ landings (touch n go) getting my landings just right.

Many of my RC counterparts literally just fly the airplane into the ground and hope for the best LOL.
Reminds me of the lost young man carrying a violin on a NYC street, stops an older gentleman and asks: excuse me sir. Can you tell me how to get to Carnegie Hall? reply: Practice, young man, practice. Bara boom....

Last edited:
Saw the Morgan Hill field there in a couple of shots. I ran a few of the JR-SCAT series scale aerobatics contests there. Nice field.

I had the green heli, what was it called again? Too many toys ago!!

Airplane wanna top gun dudes are sensitive.lol Any RC Heli Pilots up in here?

Here’s my throwback.

Heli pilot here back a few years ago as well. I never did get the hang of "Heli 3D". I probably missed my PRIME flying planks all out LOL.

I started with Hirobo Shuttle that basically taught me I had to tinker/tweak on them non-stop even if I didn't crash (and I DID crash... often). Once electric became a more viable option I got away from "internal combustion" for helos and that helped a LOT! I still flew IC on my planks for several more years but ultimately I converted everything to electrons to get away from Nitro and Gasoline.

I have yet to understand how you can maintain altitude for an extended time during the Tick-Tock maneuver . . . just doesn't seem like it should do that LOL.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boduku