Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

RC Aircraft

I miss gas and nitro. I never had a chance tinkering with E-Helis that much, although I had a Century 3D Pro, and ironically, I started with the first ever E-Heli called the Corona Lite Machine that got me started.

I’m not much of an airplane guy, but I spent most of my time building, scale and gliders for others flyers, and the compensation was not bad, until the ARF’s disrupted my money flow. I did had a good time flying and crashing pylon racers.

Man! If I look back to how many tailbooms, CF blades and other miscellaneous stuff that, I bought, I could of gotten a new car, and I am just not talking about me, and I know you guys feel the same way.

BUT! We cannot put a price on happiness, and anything RC is fun.

Reactions: BigAl07
Agreed. Here is what I was flying last weekend. E-Flite Carbon Z T-28. 78" span, 6S powered with retracts and flaps. Great flying plane and a real attention getter. Futaba 16SZ radio.

View attachment 1313

WOW!!!!!! that is one impressive aircraft. Is it electric? And how much does an aircraft like that cost?

Sadly they discontinued it. It really is a cool plane. Gets lots of attention and it is BIG. I use 6S 5,000 mAh and 8,000 mAh packs. 16x8 3-blade Master Airscrew prop livened up the performance as well.

Sadly they discontinued it. It really is a cool plane. Gets lots of attention and it is BIG. I use 6S 5,000 mAh and 8,000 mAh packs. 16x8 3-blade Master Airscrew prop livened up the performance as well.

That's the way things work these days (maybe a little sadly). Companies will do one run of something, sell out, and you never see it again. In the old days companies thought more in terms of keeping a production pipeline, keeping things in stock ... but many of those companies went out of business, so go figure. Even though this one is discontinued, there's tons of new designs coming in to replace them ... I've been drooling over the new hobby king avios albatross twin. But I still haven't crashed/destroyed my catalina, or my seawind, or my polaris seaplane, or my 185 on floats, or my old lanier mariner ... so no space in the seaplane corner of my toy room ... what are you going to do?

Horizon is getting a real reputation for doing this. People have learned to grab while they can. Sadly, it often turns out there are issues in the first run, and if there is no second run, oh well.

Horizon is getting a real reputation for doing this. People have learned to grab while they can. Sadly, it often turns out there are issues in the first run, and if there is no second run, oh well.

I want to get my son and myself back into RC airplanes, but want to start small, like a foamy. Any suggestions?

Exactly!! And once the initial run dries up the replacement parts are right behind which really sucks. Makes em almost "Disposable" which is the opposite of how I am with my planes. I like to keep em and fly for years to come.

Reactions: Phaedrus
I want to get my son and myself back into RC airplanes, but want to start small, like a foamy. Any suggestions?
It depends on what size airframe you're looking for. I have several of the UMX (less than 24" wingspan) and LOVE them. Can fly from my deck.

Move up to the larger ones and you'll need a better takeoff landing area. Here's a listing of several of the Ready To Fly version by Horizon:

Reactions: Phaedrus

Horizon/E-Flite has a really nice selection of electric planes in a variety of sizes. Very popular and generally fly really well, especially given their size.

Missed BigAl's post. What he said!!

Other's have posted good advice already, but I'll add another option. Check out the flitetest foam board designs (they have a website and youtube channel.) They sell inexpensive foamboard kits (laser cut out already) along with matching electronics. You need provide the transmitter and batteries and a few simple tools. I think there is a huge advantage of fun and learning with building up the aircraft yourself, and it's really not all that hard. Their designs aren't as spiffy as some of the premolded foam models, but trust me that they are fun to put together, a little paint goes a long way, and they really fly awesome.

Also, find a local club to help you get started learning to fly. It takes some time to get your brain cells properly connected between your eyes and your thumbs ... (often leading to unfortunately crashing.) Getting some initial assistance can help side step some of the sadder aspects of the hobby. There are lots of awesome ready to fly planes out there too, so I'm not trying to talk you out of that if you want to go that direction. Just get something slow and easy to fly for your first try ... it will get really dinged up as you learn the ropes. So resist the urge to buy the cool plane first, leave that for your 2nd or 3rd plane once you get comfortable guiding them around the field.

I am subscribed to FliteTest and enjoy watching their "antics" each week.

They've really added a whole new dimension to the R/C industry with their "package build kits".

Reactions: clolsonus
I am subscribed to FliteTest and enjoy watching their "antics" each week.
They've really added a whole new dimension to the R/C industry with their "package build kits".

They are definitely a quality outfit. I got to meet them at Oshkosh a couple years ago, they are even nicer in person. This winter I built their storch and have had a ton of fun flying it:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905