Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Recommendations for Insurance for new operators?

Bob

Reaction score
I have just recently obtained my part 107 and I will be making some videos for a few friends in the real estate business. I was wondering about insurance since this will not actually be a full time career (I don't think). Is it better to get yearly coverage, or is there options such as per job? I would obviously like to keep initial costs as low as possible and see what happens with my little business venture.

After doing some research in No. California and beyond for liability and other coverage insurance plan, I finally signed up with AOPA. Cost was not much different than the few other companies willing to insure my P4P for commercial use, and AOPA is a very overall reliable organization. We'll see within a year how the industry and insurance for this industry shakes out.

@Russ Still Thanks for the webinar !

@Russ Still - Is this webinar for the AMA coverage?

In the webinar, Evan presents an overview of uav policies and terms. He does discuss the AMA policy toward the end. He says he mostly writes policies for Global but says the "named pilot" approach of the AMA policy is less expensive, especially for single ops with multiple uavs. He did not know any details about possible exclusions within the policy.

Reactions: Russ Still
Well after a year and a half of preparation and testing, etc. I finally pulled the trigger on the Global Aeronautics (through AOPA) insurance for my single drone operation. Now I am working on the State of MN commercial aircraft registration. Another couple of weeks I figure and I can fly for hire.

Last edited:
I went with PAP coverage for drone and liability from State Farm. It's $40 a month, $2M in liability, property damage, and injury, and full coverage on the drone in case of crash, theft, fire, or loss. $500 deductible.

No, it's a rider on a homeowner's policy that provides supplemental coverage for high-dollar items. "Personal Articles Protection". I can understand the confusion.

So I have three of these now. One for my camera equipment, one for my telescope and observatory, and one for my Inspire 1.

They didn't ask me to specify. I would imagine that in most cases such as industrial or agricultural operations, an operator would require a different kind of policy such as you provide. I don't fly for money, but if you post any pictures taken from a drone on YouTube, Facebook, etc, even though you're not getting paid, the FAA considers that for entertainment, and you require a Part 107 cert to perform said activities. Took them three days to mail me a letter requesting proof of a 107 or shut down my YouTube site. So I shut down the site until I get my 107.

That's also the reason I'm signed up on this forum - to find out about 107 operations as much as possible. It's not really discussed in depth on the Inspire Pilots page and I need to know.

Cheers,

Kev

A PAP policy rider likely won’t cover a commercial operation. A 107 operator would be wise to look into a true aviation policy.

While they are at it they might consider looking into commercial coverage for their automobile. Your personal auto insurance will not cover accidents or losses when the vehicle is being used for commercial/business activities.

Most private insurance agents can provide this now, but it depends on how serious you are about making drones your occupation. I use Verify when I do my own side jobs with my drone, but for the company I work for it is just another liability policy with the insurance agency they already had. When thinking drone insurance it would be smart to err on the side of caution as if you are expecting to get sued and not just recovering from an accident or theft. Make sure your agent can go legal quickly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM