Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Safety Guidelines flying on the end of a Class G untowered airport

One thing I'd like to point out here.... those who ARE operating on the radio just happen to already be experienced pilots and already deeply acquainted with how to communicate on the radio. This is a HUGE benefit and, like it or not, puts you on a different level when it comes to Radio Comms.

Getting on a handheld and saying, "Hey guys, this is drone guy 123 and I'm umm... I think I'm over on Johnny's Corner next one of the runways. I'm going to fly over this area with my XYZ drone and take some important pictures for a client. If you don't mind, don't fly over this area for the next 30 minutes or so. Thank you and have a nice day."

Now the above "comment" was an extreme (and an attempt comedy) expression but it drives home the difference that precision and expediency is needed when operating on the radio.
What? You can't tell that Cessna to stay clear of "my airspace":????
So....that's why that pilot told me to f_____ off that one time. :D

• Haha
Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks again for the great information Luis. Not sure when I might be in a situation where I will need to monitor CTAF but I want to get one so I can start understanding the lingo because right now it is hard for me to follow it. I would like to address the learning curve well before I actually need to use it.

So how close to the airport will I need to be in order to monitor with a hand held with rubber ducky antenna?

Can't really say. Rubber ducks are sort of useless. Depends on the terrain, go out and test it. A mile or so, at most. Get a nice long antenna.

One thing I'd like to point out here.... those who ARE operating on the radio just happen to already be experienced pilots and already deeply acquainted with how to communicate on the radio. This is a HUGE benefit and, like it or not, puts you on a different level when it comes to Radio Comms.

Getting on a handheld and saying, "Hey guys, this is drone guy 123 and I'm umm... I think I'm over on Johnny's Corner next one of the runways. I'm going to fly over this area with my XYZ drone and take some important pictures for a client. If you don't mind, don't fly over this area for the next 30 minutes or so. Thank you and have a nice day."

Now the above "comment" was an extreme (and an attempt comedy) expression but it drives home the difference that precision and expediency is needed when operating on the radio.
Understood. I would to listen for a long time to get familiar with this concise manner of communicating before ever considering transmitting a call.

What is your take on suas pilots transmitting (assuming they do it correctly)?

I'm against it!
As a real pilot the last thing I want is someone who has no idea how to properly communicate (lingo).

Lets say I'm inbound to UNICOM ABC airfield, all of the sudden a drone pilots alerts, I'm flying over x place at 250'? What??
Is this place on my VFR chart???? Don't tell me you're flying 3 miles at aunts house or over Burger King.
I need a reference point that coincides with my VFR chart.

You do communicate, UNICOM Orlando Apopka Airport WMA7 2½ miles SE altitude 330', flying 360° maneuvers for aerial photography.
You may get a response or you may not.

I would rather have that than, " I'm flying over here my drone and uhhh at 250 feet about 2 miles south and a bit east over the red gas station.:eek:o_O
As BigAl mentioned.

LEARN THE LINGO, keep it short and precise!
For me I do not communicate when flying my drone, there is enough going on with pilots flying around listening to other traffic reports from other pilots let alone ATC.

Last edited:
I'm against it!
As a real pilot the last thing I want is someone who has no idea how to properly communicate (lingo).

Lets say I'm inbound to UNICOM ABC airfield, all of the sudden a drone pilots alerts, I'm flying over x place at 250'? What??
Is this place on my VFR chart???? Don't tell me you're flying 3 miles at aunts house or over Burger King.
I need a reference point that coincides with my VFR chart.

You do communicate, UNICOM Orlando Apopka Airport WMA7 2½ miles SE altitude 330', flying 360° maneuvers for aerial photography.
You may get a response or you may not.

I would rather have that than, " I'm flying over here my drone and uhhh at 250 feet about 2 miles south and a bit east over the red gas station.:eek:o_O
As BigAl mentioned.

LEARN THE LINGO, keep it short and precise!
For me I do not communicate when flying my drone, there is enough going on with pilots flying around listening to other traffic reports from other pilots let alone ATC.

LOL. Define "real pilot." Both my Commercial pilot and REmote pilot certificats look exactly alike and both were issued by the FAA.

Reactions: R Martin and BryanD
Can't really say. Rubber ducks are sort of useless. Depends on the terrain, go out and test it. A mile or so, at most. Get a nice long antenna.
Wow, only a mile! That sounds extremely useless!

Reactions: R Martin
You had me at "real pilot's! That kinda turned me off for what may have been some good information. As a UNREAL pilot I am trying to learn. And in case I would need to transmit I am trying to learn to speak like a REAL pilot to keep YOU safe.

I said, assuming I did it correctly, but you assumed otherwise. Good luck to you. I choose to learn from people like Luis and BigAl that try to help us as opposed to people like you that feel the need to make yourself more important because you are a REAL pilot! Like it or not we are all sharing the same airspace so the sooner we all learn to play together the better!

Don't forget, you have more at risk - I am on the ground and you are in the air. Help me help you.

Reactions: RWD and R Martin
Wow, only a mile! That sounds extremely useless!

Well, it isn't stated specifically anywhere that I know of, but the FAA certainly treats the 2 differently for sure, if ya know what I mean. ;)
I guess because I am only an UNREAL PILOT I don't know what you mean.

Do you care to explain or do I need to know the secret handshake to be enlightened.

Reactions: RWD
I guess because I am only an UNREAL PILOT I don't know what you mean.

Do you care to explain or do I need to know the secret handshake to be enlightened.
Ok, I'm sure Dave did not intend to offend; we all have our opinions. Let's relax and hold hands...

Lewis is correct. I didn't mean any disrespect to Part 107 holders. I am one too after all.

Just consider this one factor. Part 61 pilots are provided regulations which must be followed in order to fly under certain common conditions. Part 107 operators, on the other hand, are by default not permitted to operate in some common conditions and are required to apply for an additional waiver in order to do so. Operation at night for example.

Since the training required to obtain a Part 61 certificate is so much more than what is required for a Part 107, I don't think you should feel bad that the FAA puts more trust (for lack of a better word) in Part 61 pilots than they do in Part 107 operators. But they clearly do.

I hope that makes sense and you just find that kind of logical and not a slight in any way. :) I'm also not saying that someone that is "just" a part 107 holder can't be just as good or a better uas operator than someone holding both because there are good and bad in both groups.

Last edited:
Lewis is correct. I didn't mean any disrespect to Part 107 holders. I am one too after all.

Just consider this one factor. Part 61 pilots are provided regulations which must be followed in order to fly under certain common conditions. Part 107 operators, on the other hand, are by default not permitted to operate in some common conditions and are required to apply for an additional waiver in order to do so. Operation at night for example.

Since the training required to obtain a Part 61 certificate is so much more than what is required for a Part 107, I don't think you should feel bad that the FAA puts more trust (for lack of a better word) in Part 61 pilots than they do in Part 107 operators. But they clearly do.

I hope that makes sense and you just find that kind of logical and not a slight in any way. :) I'm also not saying that someone that is "just" a part 107 holder can't be just as good or a better uas operator than someone holding both because there are good and bad in both groups.
Gotcha, totally makes sense. Thanks Dave. Sorry, I probably overreacted. I was still fired up about AH-1G's comments.

I'm not saying 107's aren't to be respected. I'm saying because folks have obtained a 107, they may think or would like to be in the same "class as "Private Pilots".
I get it. No disrespect intended by your comments. I just need to be reminded that you are a real pilot and I am not.

I have not spoken with any Remote Pilots that think they are in the same class as a commercial pilot. It is usually people like you that assume that we think we are.

As a GA pilot, and a 107 pilot, no one has ever complained to me about information broadcast that is meant to improve their safety. As a GA pilot, I would appreciate knowing that the drone pilot is monitoring the freq and will respond to requests. It is all about communicating safety information. NOTAM? is it really necessary? That was not part of any 107 training. I am talking G airspace only.

And again, it is passing on information to GA that you are operating in the area and gives GA pilots information needed to safely operate in the same airspace. Especially Class G airspace.

I'm not assuming, I've seen many post stating "we have airspace rights also" thinking "Manned Aircraft" should give way to drone pilots. So yes their are people "nuts" out there who don't give a D@m about manned air safety.
My suggestion go out and fly with a Pilot in a 30 mile Radius of an ATC, I'm in that 30 mile radius (MCO) and a Unicom 10 miles NE of me.
You tell me if pilots are want to here a drone pilots location, when traffic (communication) is hectic.
My apologies to you and others for my comments.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM