Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Starting a new business

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Glad to be here. I'm new to the drone industry, but have been in Aviation over 16 years. Served 12 years active military as an Apache pilot, did some overseas contracting in Saudi Arabia for 4 years. Hold a part 61 commercial RW with instrument and FW PPL. with the Rona going on, Im stuck at home teaching the kids while I wait for my Horizon Air RTP to start up again so I can go big leagues. For now, the wife and I thought using my 107 to supplement would be a good idea. I'm looking to start up an LLC for my area. Looking for a step by step advice to kick this off. I currently have a M2P with accessories like a pontoon(which kills flight time) and a parachute that I haven't tested yet. Thanks for any input.
Mark

Last edited:
Thank you for your service!

My grandfather retired from the USAF as an Apache mechanic. Deployed multiple times, had something to do with Skunk Works (but held that secret to his grave)...
I miss that man. ?

What field interests you the most?

I shoot real estate (using handheld cameras too), others on here's shoot construction; some do inspections and agriculture.

With an M2P the possibilities are endless.

You could do orthomosaics, you could do time management for the construction industry using time lapses, you could do real estate... Anything really.

So what area are you interested in pursuing? Oh and don't say all of them... Pick one. "Jack of all trades, Master of none" doesn't bode very well monetarily.

Reactions: Deleted Member 998

My grandfather retired from the USAF as an Apache mechanic. Deployed multiple times, had something to do with Skunk Works (but held that secret to his grave)...
I miss that man. ?

What field interests you the most?

I shoot real estate (using handheld cameras too), others on here's shoot construction; some do inspections and agriculture.

With an M2P the possibilities are endless.

You could do orthomosaics, you could do time management for the construction industry using time lapses, you could do real estate... Anything really.

So what area are you interested in pursuing? Oh and don't say all of them... Pick one. "Jack of all trades, Master of none" doesn't bode very well monetarily.
Honestly, I'm not sure where to focus considering each field requires different hardware for the drone and computer software to edit. That's were Im stumped. I'll pick a field, just need to know what I need to buy first. I was thinking start with Real estate to get in the game. Then move on to construction and mapping after I figure out what software I need and the computer to edit the data

Last edited:
Reactions: itsneedtokno
Honestly, I'm not sure where to focus considering each field requires different hardware for the drone and computer software to edit. That's were Im stumped. I'll pick a field, just need to know what I need to buy first. I was thinking start with Real estate to get in the game. Then move on to construction and mapping after I figure out what software I need and the computer to edit the data
Getting "in" to real estate is super tough.

Here in Florida anyway, that seems to be the case.

There are more drone pilots here than in 47 other states. (FL, CA, and TX have the most pilots) but Aerial Imagery is still only considered an "add on" to standard photos. You can sell Aerials by themselves but it's hard because typically the Photographer doesn't need another Photographer for only Aerials. My suggestion is to get a good ground based camera also.

So getting in to real estate takes some work. You may have to take a couple jobs for minimal money. Maybe even free. (although I don't agree with that, and never did myself)

Make sure that the house you are choosing to shoot as your first "showcase" is a beauty. If you don't have a friend with, or access to, a massive mansion... No big deal.

This is where editing comes in to play. My time is split 20/80 (flying/editing). If I didn't have Adobe LightRoom, I wouldn't be able to do Real Estate.

Many RE photographers have $3000 camera set ups. For example: a Sony A7s3 w/ Tilt Shift lens is over 5 grand. But that is by no means a requirement.

I shoot with my MA2, my S20 Ultra, and soon to include the "Smooth 4" gimbal stabilizer for smart phones.

Have you checked out this thread. A search of the form threads here will help with some of the questions you may have and the members will help with other questions

CLICK HERE

Looking for a step by step advice to kick this off.
Here are a couple of previous threads answering your questions.
Lots of experience and hard-earned wisdom in them:

There are more if you search

Here are a couple of previous threads answering your questions.
Lots of experience and hard-earned wisdom in them:

There are more if you search
Thanks

You'll want to do some in-depth LOCAL Market Research and let that help guide your new business venture. Regardless what we tell you here on the innerweb your local market is what will make or break your business.

I'd suggest doing a very detailed Business Plan and let the research of the BP help give you direction. Part of the BP is market research, industry research, and COMPETITION research. I wouldn't spend a single penny until I have the BP complete and use it for your road map to "hopefully" a successful business.

If you have never written a business plan contact your local Community College and they will help guide you through the process and it's FREE for their help. The BP takes a lot of time and effort but you'll be crazy trying to jump in head first into a new business without one. It's Time & $$ well spent.

Hello everyone! Glad to be here. I'm new to the drone industry, but have been in Aviation over 16 years. Served 12 years active military as an Apache pilot, did some overseas contracting in Saudi Arabia for 4 years. Hold a part 61 commercial RW with instrument and FW PPL. with the Rona going on, Im stuck at home teaching the kids while I wait for my Horizon Air RTP to start up again so I can go big leagues. For now, the wife and I thought using my 107 to supplement would be a good idea. I'm looking to start up an LLC for my area. Looking for a step by step advice to kick this off. I currently have a M2P with accessories like a pontoon(which kills flight time) and a parachute that I haven't tested yet. Thanks for any input.
Mark

Guys hate to tell you but when your handle Is Deleted Member that
is just what he is. We don’t tell why so please don’t ask but if you
qoute him expecting a return answer from them you are not going to get it. ?‍♂️
Being this is a subject that can help others with the same question
i will leave it open .
?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but being a helicopter pilot has little or nothing to do with the drone industry today. I'm an ex Naval aviator, so what, didn't teach me to be successful in the drone business, didn't teach me to fly drones. Didn't even have drones when I was in the Navy, 68 - 74.
One of the first things you may have already leaned is your FPV is a lot different with a drone than in a helicopter or aircraft.

The only advantage you have is aviation rules and regulations and how to apply them, other than that you are a student in the drone business. I don't mean that in any sense to be disrespectful of you military and aviation experience, but it is a different world with different standards and expectations.

You will quickly learn that photographic knowledge and video knowledge is equally if not more important than your aviation knowledge.

I wish you the very best of luck.

Hi! It's great that you already have business experience and can do an independent market analysis. It is necessary when you plan to invest your money in something. But I would still recommend you model your startup online and analyze the results. You should understand that your investments may not pay off for various reasons and be ready for this. Therefore, it is important to think about all the subtleties of this type of business before implementing any idea. In any case, I support you very much and wish you good luck!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM