Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Teachable Moments Part 1

Outta Control

Reaction score
Website
www.hoveranalytics.com
Reading Qualitative data is much easier than Quantitative but in some cases there are some data that are more difficult to explain.

Here is a photo from today's solar array inspection.

What is that white spot.
5wPiNeXl.jpg

Bad cell?
Overheating Junction Box?
The Sun?

I'll let run till tomorrow.

Last edited:
I am finishing up a deployment of ServiceMax across our service organization.
GE purchased ServiceMax last year. It is a field service application for technicians. It runs on Salesforce.
The claim to fame is their growth into IOT and selling services versus break fix sales and service.
The idea being sell, expensive equipment where you don't own the equipment you pay for up time services of the product.
Solar Panels are often showcased in their sales brochures.
They have tons of test cases where these arrays of solar cells have imbedded sensors that report when a panel, section of panels or even cells are failing.
They can then deploy a technician on site to do the repair before the loss of the panel occurs.

It seems like that would make drone inspection redundant

I am finishing up a deployment of ServiceMax across our service organization.
GE purchased ServiceMax last year. It is a field service application for technicians. It runs on Salesforce.
The claim to fame is their growth into IOT and selling services versus break fix sales and service.
The idea being sell, expensive equipment where you don't own the equipment you pay for up time services of the product.
Solar Panels are often showcased in their sales brochures.
They have tons of test cases where these arrays of solar cells have imbedded sensors that report when a panel, section of panels or even cells are failing.
They can then deploy a technician on site to do the repair before the loss of the panel occurs.

It seems like that would make drone inspection redundant

I have heard of this technology but I have not seen anyone install these in a large scale implementation such as a solar farm or large commercial arrays.

As you stated, I suspect it is because of the cost of the service contract to maintain the monitoring system.

No doubt it is expensive. As I understand it just about everything solar is right now. Overtime the price may drop who knows.

Interesting convergence of technologies.
I still see UAVs playing a roll in many of these industries
Anything that involves people on site can benefit if the UAV can see or sense what you need the human to do

Reactions: Outta Control
No doubt it is expensive. As I understand it just about everything solar is right now. Overtime the price may drop who knows.

Interesting convergence of technologies.
I still see UAVs playing a roll in many of these industries
Anything that involves people on site can benefit if the UAV can see or sense what you need the human to do

You are a forward thinker. ;)

Beyond solar I'll be posting further use of thermal work. One area I am really wanting to do is Civil Infrastructure such as Bridges.

ummmmmmm good question.

If only by looking at the thermal image one has to know what is the cause, it is confirmed that I lack a lot of knowledge.

I'm waiting for the answer

You are a forward thinker. ;)

Beyond solar I'll be posting further use of thermal work. One area I am really wanting to do is Civil Infrastructure such as Bridges.

Does thermal work in shallow water?
For example, if you survey a coastal are where the water is shallow. Would you detect large animals like sharks or would the water temperature render the thermal sensor ineffective?

Does thermal work in shallow water?
For example, if you survey a coastal are where the water is shallow. Would you detect large animals like sharks or would the water temperature render the thermal sensor ineffective?

That my friend is an outstanding question.

Since you asked I stopped watching the Saint's game and did a small, unscientific experiment just for you. :)

But before I post the results the quick and dirty answer is YES....BUT it is dependent of several factor such as the target's temperature, liquid's density and temperature.

Since you asked I stopped watching the Saint's game and did a small, unscientific experiment just for you. :)

But before I post the results the quick and dirty answer is YES....BUT it is dependent of several factor such as the target's temperature, liquid's density and temperature.
Vikings won!:) Great game.

Sadly I am a Saints fan, hell of a game. And no shame there.
My boys had a great year. 3 Playoff teams came from our division.

Looking forward to your results

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM