Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

US v. Causby (1946) and what altitude can you legally fly at over someone's property

BegA, here is a question for you. It is illegal toe shoot at any aircraft. You have identified his toys as cannons; if he shoots a projectile at a drone isn't he breaking the law?
The is also a gun that uses electric fields to shoot a projectile. My point is it doesn't need to be classified as a firearm.

BegA, here is a question for you. It is illegal toe shoot at any aircraft. You have identified his toys as cannons; if he shoots a projectile at a drone isn't he breaking the law?
The is also a gun that uses electric fields to shoot a projectile. My point is it doesn't need to be classified as a firearm.

That's much bigger than my pay grade but I'm of the thought that if something like that hits your UAS, over private property, you're way too low/close.

Reactions: R.Perry
I agree with Bigal, that it is too close, but the FAA classifies drones as aircraft. As such, shooting at an aircraft is illegal. People have gone to jail for shooting at drones. Not really the shirt cannon, but a shotgun for sure. I mean if I am flying 100' at 25mph over property, and someone shoots it with a 12g slug, I am 100% reporting that to law enforcement and the FAA. Even just shooting at. I might also be impressed at the shot with a slug...

It is illegal to shoot at aircraft, manned or not. If they wanted to try and sue me or have me arrested for privacy violations, they should contact law enforcement.

Missed part of the question before. Yes anything that someone does to jeopardize the safe operation of an aircraft is breaking the law. So shooting a shirt cannon at a drone is breaking federal law. Doesn't matter if it is like the French laser cannon, or a GPS jammer, or a net "cannon" it is illegal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM