Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

What gets someone the good jobs

R.Perry

Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk about the different schools that teach the 107 classes. I also know if someone wants to study on their own the FAA has plenty of material available.
I have told people to just get on the FAA site and study the material and take the test. I have been rethinking that advice and thinking that having training from a reputable company or college may just be a better way to go.

But what gets one person a good job over another. Many times it is the sheep skin, having that document that says that you have the education and can show experience.

When I was interview for my current job there were others that also wanted it. I brought to the interview my log book, as well as my licenses. The person interviewing me looked through my log book and asked me when could I start.
The funny part of the whole thing, flying fixed wing aircraft has absolutely nothing to do with flying drones. He was able to go to the client and tell him that I was a highly experienced pilot, true but forgot to mention it wasn't with drones.

My point to all this is I believe in education and experience is the key that opens up the opportunities.

For the new people coming into the industry, get as much education as you can, log every minute you fly your drone, make sure you can put that drone exactly where you want it and smoothly. Learn as much as you can about photography because lets face it that is what we are using drones for. Don't try to find a job until you know you can perform what the client wants in a professional manner.

Two cents from a pud knocker. Want to know what a pud knocker is, watch the movie "The right stuff"

What's been our experience is having a website that looks better than the competition and is SEO optimized. That's how they find us (as well as well-crafted, targeted ads in both print and online) as first impressions matter. We also always do client surveys to find out how they found us, what caused them to choose us, and to see if they'd choose us again.

We've found that in large part the quality of our work on our website is what ultimately causes a potential client to pick up the phone and call or to fill out our contact form. That, coupled with the the client testimonials from some big, recognizable clients has netted us some pretty big jobs and some pretty big clients.

Interestingly enough, we've never had a client even ask for logs or flight time/crash information... I guess there's two sides to this coin. ?

Log books are subjective and do not ascertain the flying abilities of a UAV Pilot.

Log books are subjective and do not ascertain the flying abilities of a UAV Pilot.

What?

A log book isn't designed to demonstrate flying abilities of the UAV pilot (or any pilot for that matter). It's a way to determine hours logged, flight locations, and any pertinent information the owner wishes to log/document. There is no replacement for logged hours flying the type of aircraft you're trying to be proficient in. Without a log book how do you know and how can you substantiate how many hours you have actually (not assumed) flown?

We fly for an organization (Emergency Services) that requires not only a log book but a specific # of logged hours in the last 3 months before we can be deployed. No log book no missions.

There is a VERY good reason why aviators have been keeping detailed log books for many decades now and any pilot who wants to upgrade his rating or to get a new one must have the appropriate entries in his log books.

Log books are not subjective, they are documents that show flying experience, aircraft type certified, they are the documentation needed to get advanced certifications. When you get certified in a particular aircraft, it must be logged in your logbook by the CFI that gave the check ride.

I personally think any commercial drone pilot that isn't keeping a log book isn't very prudent.
Like I said originally education and experience opens doors, if you can't show the experience and education then all you have is how well you can sell yourself.

Reactions: BigAl07
Log books are not subjective, they are documents that show flying experience, aircraft type certified, they are the documentation needed to get advanced certifications. When you get certified in a particular aircraft, it must be logged in your logbook by the CFI that gave the check ride.

I personally think any commercial drone pilot that isn't keeping a log book isn't very prudent.
Like I said originally education and experience opens doors, if you can't show the experience and education then all you have is how well you can sell yourself.
that are
Please provide examples of UAV log books that are objective, quantifiable and the ability to withstand criticism. If there is standard, why haven't the FAA developed one ? Your answer contradicts moderators answer's, where he states logs do not demonstrate flying abilities

that are
Please provide examples of UAV log books that are objective, quantifiable and the ability to withstand criticism. If there is standard, why haven't the FAA developed one ? Your answer contradicts moderators answer's, where he states logs do not demonstrate flying abilities

No he did not contradict my comment in any way. In his comment he stated:

"they are documents that show flying experience, aircraft type certified, they are the documentation needed to get advanced certifications. "

At no time did he say they the log book demonstrates abilities... it documents flights, time, and pertinent details, Flight Proficiency Demonstration is how you demonstrate abilities and that's not part of a log book nor should it be.

You're mixing and matching terms incorrectly.

Why do you specifically ask for a UAV logbook? Many of us use standard aviation/pilot logbooks with great success. I have a dedicated logbook (printed hard cover) and I utilize AirData for my electronic log book needs.

I don't have a log book. I wish I had bothered to keep one sometimes as it would be interesting to have that information, but it wouldn't make any difference regarding my customers. They don't care how good of a "pilot" I am. I'm a photographer who takes pictures from aircraft and mostly nowadays using a "flying camera."

When I did most of my work from fixed-wing aircraft many years ago I didn't have that much competition, but the usual competitor was a pilot who purchased professional photography equipment. He might have had much flying experience and an impressive log book, but usually his photography skills were mediocre at best. Taking a camera into the sky does not make one an "aerial photographer" no matter how many thousands of hours one has logged as a pilot. I think it's similar with photography from a drone. I have seen many websites of drone "pilots" but so far have yet to see one that includes a gallery of well-composed professional images. Their imagery usually leaves much to be desired, and it's obvious that though they might be "pilots," they are not "photographers."

My experience has been to provide imagery that would look good hanging on a wall, for advertising materials, or on a website. I understand there are types of photography done using a drone where aesthetics are not that important. That's a different world that I don't know much about (photographing cell towers, construction progress, mapping, etc.).

that are

First of all when you get checked out in a aircraft, the CFI that gives the AC familiarization and check ride logs and the endorsement in your log book. This show ability to fly that particular aircraft. All flight training a pilot receives is documented in your logbook by the CFI.

Now to drones, there is no set standard at this time. You chose not keep track of your flight hours, that's your business. However then you have no way of proving you know how to fly a drone, or experience flying one. On the other hand the log book accuracy is dependent on the pilots keeping accurate and honest logs, but that is a different issue all together.

You seem to have a problem with documenting your flight time, or seeing a need to do so, and that is your business. I just don't think it is prudent for a commercial drone pilot to not document his or her flight time, but that is just my opinion.

My experience has been to provide imagery that would look good hanging on a wall, for advertising materials, or on a website. I understand there are types of photography done using a drone where aesthetics are not that important. That's a different world that I don't know much about (photographing cell towers, construction progress, mapping, etc.).

I love photography, I'm not a professional but have studied the subject extensively. What makes someone a professional, is when you get paid for what you do. That doesn't mean the quality is there, it just means you are a professional. I do construction photography, I care about the composure, the lighting, and the basic quality of my photographs and videos. So I guess I'm an amateur professional photographer. I have also done real estate photography, interior exterior and had some very nice reviews of my work, but I have given up on cheap realtors.

There may come a time when one of your clients does want to know your flight experience. If that time comes, what would you show them?

I keep a notebook for all my flying, whether a training, hobby or job flight. I put, what,where, times, and annotate pre flight and post flight inspection was done. I also add any notes about flight that may be important such as other people present. I have checklist i keep for those pre and post flight inspections. I then use this info to upload to skyward. Am I missing anything?

What?

A log book isn't designed to demonstrate flying abilities of the UAV pilot (or any pilot for that matter). It's a way to determine hours logged, flight locations, and any pertinent information the owner wishes to log/document. There is no replacement for logged hours flying the type of aircraft you're trying to be proficient in. Without a log book how do you know and how can you substantiate how many hours you have actually (not assumed) flown?

We fly for an organization (Emergency Services) that requires not only a log book but a specific # of logged hours in the last 3 months before we can be deployed. No log book no missions.

There is a VERY good reason why aviators have been keeping detailed log books for many decades now and any pilot who wants to upgrade his rating or to get a new one must have the appropriate entries in his log books.
Couldn't have said it better, Al!
The logbook format is not as relevant as it's value as a record of hours flown. No self-respecting pilot flies w/o a logbook.
I use this one; it is very similar to my other two manned aircraft logbooks.

For anyone interested here is the FAR regarding log books

And some just good general info:

Respectfully, UAS operations are not flown under Part 61, but Part 107. UAS pilots are not (yet) required to keep a logbook, but it is a best practice, IMHO. I've been logging my hours since my first toy drone (SYMA) . Old habits are hard to break.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agcopter