Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Whats on your Video script for a house?

I haven't worked off a script as I am not trying to edit in camera. Rather I fly a list of sorts:

Address: Show the address if possible, fly towards the property front entry.
Birds eye view low elevation and increase altitude, hold then slowly rotate. Sometimes I rotate as I climb.
Fly a POI around the property at two elevations, low and higher.
Horizontal fly by pans of interesting sides; front and back generally.
Fly in and back out from interesting sides; front and back generally. Raise and pan up to show neighborhood/location.

I haven't flown any interiors except my own home :oops:

Make sure you purchase and wear a bright orange or lime green safety vest, it will help you earn more money!

:p I haven't found this to be quite true, but one can hope. Most constructions site do require them. However when we have a job to shoot pictures of a private property and the neighbors see a stranger walking around next to their house, I do want to seem as though I am not hiding anything. So far I have only had one incident, where a neighbor didn't know my purpose for being on the property next to his and he turned his sprinklers on and just glared through the window at me. I just smiled and waved and brought the aircraft down just outside his property and sprinklers. :D

Reactions: AH-1G
:p I haven't found this to be quite true, but one can hope. Most constructions site do require them. However when we have a job to shoot pictures of a private property and the neighbors see a stranger walking around next to their house, I do want to seem as though I am not hiding anything. So far I have only had one incident, where a neighbor didn't know my purpose for being on the property next to his and he turned his sprinklers on and just glared through the window at me. I just smiled and waved and brought the aircraft down just outside his property and sprinklers. :D
My attempt at humor :-D

Well the video of the house went pretty good. I would prefer a morning shoot since the house faces east. The wind was gusting to 17 mph that didn't help. It's 1.37 GB. It is a MOV file. Now to figure out to upload it.

What software do you use to add music and edit your videos? Someone suggested one GO something. I'll have to check it out.

Just to give us newbies some idea, what programs do you guys use for editing your videos?
Try this link:
LMGTFY

Many of us use different programs for different aspects of the movie. It depends on your background, how much you want to spend, how DEEP you want to get into editing and somewhat on your own personal style.

Sometimes you just have to download trial versions and try them out to see which one works for you. Once in a while one wont work on your computer for hardware reasons so always try before you buy.

If you're starting a business in Aerial Imaging and you don't have experience in picture/video editing you're going to have one heck of an uphill battle. You'd better be a great pilot, sales person, and business person to make up for not being an experienced photographer. I'm not saying it can't be done (it is done day in and day out) but you've got to understand a UAS with a camera is just another tool in the bag and not the end-all to create a solid business around.

Ive been a still photographer since the mid 80s. Plus I paint landscapes. I understand composition and exposure. I'm pretty good with Photoshop. I'm new to video. So far, I LIKE it. The reason I want to upload the video is to get some good constructive comments. Different shots to try, or approaches. Also tips on what to edit and how.

Ive been a still photographer since the mid 80s. Plus I paint landscapes. I understand composition and exposure. I'm pretty good with Photoshop. I'm new to video. So far, I LIKE it. The reason I want to upload the video is to get some good constructive comments. Different shots to try, or approaches. Also tips on what to edit and how.
Gezzz Sojourner, your going to get a boatload of constructive criticism, the best method is go to YouTube and find different movie editors that are out. As Bob mentioned it can get very complex. YouTube can be your best friend, I'm still learning by watching what I can find on YouTube.
Keep your video simple, attractive, short (30 seconds to 1:40 max maybe even shorter, too long and you'll loose your audience.
Music, please make sure the music fits the content, unless your client expects heavy metal:eek:

If you understand photo/video composition, you're already ahead of the typical operator that has little experience in either industry. Ongoing shot lists that apply to photography/videography are simple - Close, medium, wide on the best angles of a property. As you progress, you will find that you can crop medium angle shots. Tell the story of that property. And for God's sake, you're NOT doing a roof inspection so keep your angles as complimentary to the property structures as possble. Endless roof shots drive RE professionals crazy and are typically a clear sign of someone that knows nothing about what they're doing. Your best angles are typically 20°-35° or just above gutter lines. Of course there are exceptions, but it's readily apparent when someone is taking photos and has no knowledge of simple practices.

This was my second attempt at doing a video. Now I see where I could have done better but that comes with experience. The music is what sets the tone, IMO. BTW this is my house.
PatM does fantastic videos his work is fabulous

Last edited:

Lots of good advice, I would add; If your new to video, one thing I would strongly recommend is spend time on a site like Youtube or Vimeo what have you, and search the videos you want to produce.

Find the ones you like and ask yourself; "What is it that I like - what makes this video enjoyable"

There will be videos that within 20 seconds you are thinking of turning it off; again ask yourself - "What makes this video disagreeable"

Take notes and try to edit accordingly. You've probably already got a good eye but, editing for new producers is hard for the simple reason - that they are impressed with their video and include way too much of it in their videos. Less is more. Pay attention to the audio whether it is music, natural, VO or whatever, a great video has great audio.

When it comes to editors I would recommend learning the basics on a basic editor, keep it simple at first, you'll learn faster without steepening the learning curve by having to learn a complex editor at the same time. There are some free editors and plenty under 100 bucks. Whichever you choose pick one that will work with whatever footage you have. Most will work with all kinds some won't it depends on the cameras you use.

Finally, for uploading to site like Youtube and so on; find out what the optimum encoding settings for that site are and try to export at those settings. Granted, here is where a higher end editing suite will give you more control but like I said it can be a double edged sword.

Good luck.

If you're starting a business in Aerial Imaging and you don't have experience in picture/video editing you're going to have one heck of an uphill battle. You'd better be a great pilot, sales person, and business person to make up for not being an experienced photographer. I'm not saying it can't be done (it is done day in and day out) but you've got to understand a UAS with a camera is just another tool in the bag and not the end-all to create a solid business around.

BigAl nailed this one! You must remember that processing and post production are going to be your most time-intensive practices of being in the photography/videography industry (unless you're providing raw media.) You need to spend every waking moment learning and applying practices as this is the time that will ultimately kill your profits long-term. Typically, people new to this industry will spend 4-6x (or more) time in post-production than shooting the media. As your experience increases, these numbers will go down as you learn to shoot for post and become much more efficient in your workflows.

I use Adobe LR/PS for photos and PP/AE for video.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM