Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

AirMap Discrepancies - Mobile vs Desktop

Z06Aggie

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed variations in the airspace layouts in AirMap's mobile app vs the desktop?

Example: I went on my desktop to scout a new location this morning, and it looked like i had miles of open space between two sections of airspace. I then went to double check on my phone, and the open space was basically non-existent. See below.

Not a huge ordeal, just glad I checked first before driving to the site.

full

full

For those not familiar with the Houston area, according to the desktop map, IAH airspace barely crosses I45, however, the mobile app has it going way beyond I45. Measuring out IAH airspace in Google Earth makes me think the mobile app is closer to correct.

I believe your issue is with the settings.
On the desktop (top photo), you have 'FLY FOR FUN', but on the Mobile App (bottom photo) you have 'FAA-107'

Reactions: Z06Aggie
I believe your issue is with the settings.
On the desktop (top photo), you have 'FLY FOR FUN', but on the Mobile App (bottom photo) you have 'FAA-107'

Wow - you're exactly right! I changed the desktop map to Part 107 and the airspace area changed with it. I didn't realize that was a thing.

So if I go fly for fun in the open area, I'm good, but I can't do commercial work there? That makes a lot of sense!

Wow - you're exactly right! I changed the desktop map to Part 107 and the airspace area changed with it. I didn't realize that was a thing.

So if I go fly for fun in the open area, I'm good, but I can't do commercial work there? That makes a lot of sense!

Someone much smarter may be able to chime in. I've read/heard/rumor? (please don't take this as law) that once you're 107 you're ALWAYS 107 (as long as you're license is current); there is no 'I was flying as a hobby on flight x, but flight y I was commercial!'

Please see below, I've been corrected.
AirMap Discrepancies - Mobile vs Desktop

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
Someone much smarter may be able to chime in. I've read/heard/rumor? (please don't take this as law) that once you're 107 you're ALWAYS 107 (as long as you're license is current); there is no 'I was flying as a hobby on flight x, but flight y I was commercial!'

That's 100% FALSE! As a Part 107 Operator you can determine, prior to flight, which set of rules you wish to comply with. The only caveat is the rules can not be mixed/combined. If you take off flying as 336(hobbyist) you can't then "suddenly" fly utilizing Part 107 regulations.

For instance you take off 3 miles from an airport in class CHARLIE airspace flying under 336. You must "Notify" the tower of your intentions and location. Under Part 107 you must have prior Authorization to fly there. You couldn't (more correctly shouldn't) call the tower stating you are going to fly there as hobbyist and then utilize that flight to collect data for a job/project. I know it is done fairly often but KARMA will usually come back to bite those people.

If you do not have Part 107 you fly under 336 guidelines. Part 107 operations can fly either set but as noted you can't mix them in a single flight.

Aircraft Registration is the same way. If registered as 336 you ONLY fly as hobbyist. If registered as Commercial (Part 107 use) you can fly either set of rules.

Kevin Morris (sUAS liaison with the FAA) did a very good and detailed Webinar last year explaining this very well. I can try to dig that up if someone needs it "cited".

That's 100% FALSE! As a Part 107 Operator you can determine, prior to flight, which set of rules you wish to comply with. The only caveat is the rules can not be mixed/combined. If you take off flying as 336(hobbyist) you can't then "suddenly" fly utilizing Part 107 regulations.

For instance you take off 3 miles from an airport in class CHARLIE airspace flying under 336. You must "Notify" the tower of your intentions and location. Under Part 107 you must have prior Authorization to fly there. You couldn't (more correctly shouldn't) call the tower stating you are going to fly there as hobbyist and then utilize that flight to collect data for a job/project. I know it is done fairly often but KARMA will usually come back to bite those people.

If you do not have Part 107 you fly under 336 guidelines. Part 107 operations can fly either set but as noted you can't mix them in a single flight.

Aircraft Registration is the same way. If registered as 336 you ONLY fly as hobbyist. If registered as Commercial (Part 107 use) you can fly either set of rules.

Kevin Morris (sUAS liaison with the FAA) did a very good and detailed Webinar last year explaining this very well. I can try to dig that up if someone needs it "cited".

Thanks for the clarifications! I was flying as a hobbyist today, but decided to go to another location, just to avoid confusion.

Reactions: BigAl07
Just a reminder that in any case, Airmap is NOT an official airspace source and there have been many discrepencies between their depiction of airspace and the FAA Sectional. Ok for a quick look, but check official sources to be safe!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boduku