Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Airspace Authorization Delays

Has anyone decided to go for airspace waivers instead of the authorizations? Waivers last longer, but require more details in the application process. I know my night flying waiver didn’t take too long. Wondering if it would make a difference

I applied for an Airspace Waiver but after 110 days the processor called me and said if I would accept an AA instead they would approve it as-is and that day. So of course I did.

Reactions: Boefinator
Here is the reply I got today for 7 apications.. it appears they are truly back logged...

Hello,

Unfortunately, a substantial update is not available for your requests. Your airspace waiver requests are currently in our queue. At the moment, it is taking up to a year, or longer, to provide a response to airspace waivers.

In the future, you have the option to apply for a wide area airspace authorization rather than an airspace waiver. An airspace authorization is the most direct and efficient way to request access to controlled airspace. Authorizations can be for a specific location or for broad areas governed by a single ATC jurisdiction, thus accommodating the vast majority of requests for airspace access under § 107.41.

Kind Regards,

ATO Part 107 Authorization and Waiver Team

ATO Emerging Technologies Team

Federal Aviation Administration

Has anyone decided to go for airspace waivers instead of the authorizations? Waivers last longer, but require more details in the application process. I know my night flying waiver didn’t take too long. Wondering if it would make a difference
It doesn't work they way you would think or the way it works if I am in a manned aircraft seeking authorization where I can simply come up on the controlling frequency and request authorization to fly in or thru.

You need a waiver before you will receive ATC authorization from a controlling authority. At least this has been my experience. If you call the controlling authority to request flight authorization, the 1st or 2nd thing they ask you is for your Part 107 Waiver ID.

If the same criteria applies for an authorisation and a waiver, why should it take longer for one than the other?

Generally an Authorization is the localized ATC granting you use of the controlled airspace in question. Manned pilots get this by following radio communication guidelines before entering the airspace.

Waivers on the other hand mean that you don't need to get the localized ATC's authorization to use the airspace. Therefore, the FAA is more fussy about granting them.

Hope this helps.

Generally an Authorization is the localized ATC granting you use of the controlled airspace in question. Manned pilots get this by following radio communication guidelines before entering the airspace.

Waivers on the other hand mean that you don't need to get the localized ATC's authorization to use the airspace. Therefore, the FAA is more fussy about granting them.

Hope this helps.

Finally someone that truly understands the difference. ^^^^^^^^^

An Airspace Waiver "waives" the regulation for you to get an Authorization for the flying area. Think of a Waiver as a direct approval from the FAA that takes the local ATC out of the picture. While this works as a "visual" it's not taking ATC out of it because they will also have to approve it but it's coming from "Above" as opposed to from the ATC office.

I applied for an Airspace Waiver but after 110 days the processor called me and said if I would accept an AA instead they would approve it as-is and that day. So of course I did.
My agency waiver came back as an authorization as well

Reactions: BigAl07
Funny, I just got called today by one of the FAA contractor to clarify my 130day old authorization request. I asked for dates that had passed. I told them I’ll take whatever the could give me, so the gave me through sept 2018 which gets to Laanc deployment. He couldn’t help with other authorizations as he only had access to east coast requests. So for all my west coast requests, they are still in the queue exceeding 100-140days

Is it possible to delete a pending authorization (in DroneZone) if you no longer need it? Not a big deal if it still goes through, I guess, just trying not to gum up the works any more than they already are.

Thanks!

Is it possible to delete a pending authorization (in DroneZone) if you no longer need it? Not a big deal if it still goes through, I guess, just trying not to gum up the works any more than they already are.

Thanks!

Anyone have insight to this? I still have one pending authorization that I no longer need.

Thanks!

I filed for a wide area authorization within class C airspace (SRQ) on 1/23/18, via Drone Zone, requesting 6 months from 4/17/18 to 10/17/18. Just got approval today, but they changed end date to 9/30/18. But that's fine, because LAANC will be operational in my area in July.

So this authorization approval took just about 90 days. Better than my last ones, prior to Drone Zone, which took on the 140 day range.

Well, finally got my response. Submitted 2 on 1/26/18 and 1/29/18. Both denied. :( At least I got an answer, and I know what I did wrong. LAANC won't be here until July. Weighing if I should resubmit.

I filed for a wide area authorization within class C airspace (SRQ) on 1/23/18, via Drone Zone, requesting 6 months from 4/17/18 to 10/17/18. Just got approval today, but they changed end date to 9/30/18. But that's fine, because LAANC will be operational in my area in July.

So this authorization approval took just about 90 days. Better than my last ones, prior to Drone Zone, which took on the 140 day range.

Don't let your COA lapse. LAANC went into effect in the DFW area not long ago. All the periphery airports (CLASS D) did not participate in LAANC, so we still have to file COAs to operate in their airspace. Submit a renewal a couple of months before it expires to ensure you are still able to operate without interruption.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agcopter