Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Ask a sUAS Thermographer

Ray Finkle

Reaction score
If you have any question in thermography, I will try to address it.
Hi,

I'm wondering about determining emissivity on a roof inspection? My client doesn't require an exact temperature reading but would like something nearly accurate. (Quantitative lite I guess - lol) The subject roof is highly reflective.

Last edited:

Outta Control

Reaction score
Website
www.hoveranalytics.com
Hi,

I'm wondering about determining emissivity on a roof inspection? My client doesn't require an exact temperature reading but would like something nearly accurate. (Quantitative lite I guess - lol) The subject roof is highly reflective.

If your client doesn't need absolute temperature then you can just set the emissivity to 1.0 and call it as day by giving them apparent temperature.

Gord955

Reaction score
[QUOTEHi Gord,

Since I was not familiar with the Parrot/FLIR combo, I had to do some quick research. After watching the video the Parrot offers it is not bad of a solution. My only concerns is that the FLIR is not mounted on a 2-axis gimbal. This is important for any inspection work. Even for SAR operation I personally do not think this is there yet. I do like the idea of the ability to remove the FLIR One for more mobile use. So let me go back to the inspection work. Much like when you are taking a picture with your cell phone you have to hold the camera steady to get a focused and clear picture. This becomes more apparent on a thermal picture. The shakier the camera can capture the image, the higher likelihood the image will encounter what is known as a "thermal smear", which then results in a blurry, out of focused image for your reporting.

I am not sure what aircraft you are currently using but here is my recommendation for about the same amount of money. I would recommend looking of an older DJI Phantom, not the 2 or 3, but an old Phantom that has the mounting holes for a GoPro gimbal. You can probably find these on CL for cheap. Then get yourself a FLIR Duo (non-Radiometric) and a GoPro 2-axis Gimbal. This would be a better solution for what you are doing.

Found this photo on the internet to give you an idea of what I an talking about. One note is this person connected a ImmersionRC video transmitter to be able to view images from the FLIR.
][/QUOTE]

This was great advice, the Parrot Pro Thermal was a big disappointment, I have since upgraded to P4P+ and will set up another unit for thermal like Outta Control suggested. I must say the Flir One Pro worked pretty good on my Google Phone, I was pleased with the results.

Thanks for the great advice.

devinr21

Reaction score
Hi Everybody! I'm not even sure this forum is still active, however, I just started a full-time job as a Commercial Drone Pilot for an engineering firm in Pennsylvania. One of my tasks, along with flying, is expanding the aerial inspection/thermal imaging side of the company. I was wondering if anybody could give me some tips/pointers/leads on how to begin expanding into that part of the industry? Thank you guys, I look forward to hearing from you.

Reactions: MikeA

Splocal

Reaction score
Hello All, studying for part 107 but have 13 years experience as a level 1 thermographer in the oil and gas sector. For everyday scanning I typically use a 0.95 emissivity. Wondering what you guys are using for UAS surveys? Do you change it depending on the item of interest or just roll with one emissivity? In my experience distance plays a pretty big role in accuracy. How close are you flying above your subject while scanning?
I use FLIR tools any other software you guys prefer?
Thanks for your input!

DJI Matrice 210, FLIR XT2, Zenmuse Z30.

TreeLineView

DSAR Member
Reaction score
Hello All, studying for part 107 but have 13 years experience as a level 1 thermographer in the oil and gas sector. For everyday scanning I typically use a 0.95 emissivity. Wondering what you guys are using for UAS surveys? Do you change it depending on the item of interest or just roll with one emissivity? In my experience distance plays a pretty big role in accuracy. How close are you flying above your subject while scanning?
I use FLIR tools any other software you guys prefer?
Thanks for your input!

DJI Matrice 210, FLIR XT2, Zenmuse Z30.
The majority of my targets are roofs and PV arrays, so those parameters don't really come into play for me. Qualitative data only, so far. Also Search and Rescue. I am interested in how you are using thermal technology in oil and gas. Care to share?

Fly DjI Matrice 200, XT2 and Mavic 3T if it ever arrives........

Reactions: Splocal

Splocal

Reaction score
Thanks for your input! That makes sense on the qualitative part. I guess roof and PV is more concerned about finding the temperature deltas which could indicate an issue rather then absolute temps. We use IR extensively to confirm Piping and pressure vessels are operating below the critical temps for creep and HTHA damage. We use it on heater stacks to confirm internal refractory is still in place and we use special cryogenically cooled IR cameras to inspect heater tubes through the flames to ensure we do not have coking on the tube internal walls and and/or flame impingement causing hot spots on the tubes which leads to creep and early tube failures. Emissivity is pretty important for us to ensure we are taking accurate measurements. Even then we will follow that up when possible with a touch probe to eliminate variables with IR.
I am wanting to get into roof and PV and have also considered search and rescue although from what I can tell that is more volunteer kind of work?

Flybywire

Reaction score
Good Evening , I am pretty new on the Forum Forgive me if this has been asked previously . I wanted to know if it’s possible to do a Thermal scan on a Clay tile Roof trying to find moisture .
No equipment yet -Have my eyes on the Mavic 3T . Thanks for having me .

Splocal

Reaction score
Good Evening , I am pretty new on the Forum Forgive me if this has been asked previously . I wanted to know if it’s possible to do a Thermal scan on a Clay tile Roof trying to find moisture .
No equipment yet -Have my eyes on the Mavic 3T . Thanks for having me .
I don't see why not. Personally I have never done it but have been a thermographer for over a decade. Of course some factors will come into play such as time of day you perform the scan. Ideally you want the temperature delta to be at its greatest when you scan so it is easier to identify the cooler areas. I would think a morning scan might be your best bet but again my background is not in scanning roofs so maybe someone can chime in on best time of day. When I was scanning tanks for sediment, an early morning scan would give the greatest temperature delta between the liquid in the top of the tank and the sediment in the bottom. If these are the blue glass coated tiles you will have more difficulty due to the reflection of the IR off the glass. The standard Spanish tiles will probably work well.

Flybywire

Reaction score
I don't see why not. Personally I have never done it but have been a thermographer for over a decade. Of course some factors will come into play such as time of day you perform the scan. Ideally you want the temperature delta to be at its greatest when you scan so it is easier to identify the cooler areas. I would think a morning scan might be your best bet but again my background is not in scanning roofs so maybe someone can chime in on best time of day. When I was scanning tanks for sediment, an early morning scan would give the greatest temperature delta between the liquid in the top of the tank and the sediment in the bottom. If these are the blue glass coated tiles you will have more difficulty due to the reflection of the IR off the glass. The standard Spanish tiles will probably work well.
Thank you very much for your prompt response . Appreciate all the tips that you have provided . This would be my first work Using Thermal Camera , so want to be very careful if the job can be done .
I was also thinking - since the work is in South Florida and there is no rain for a few days . With all the heat - would you find any moisture under that Clay Tile ? If I fly the job , I would certainly give all the feed back . I look forward to all the good advice from this Forum . Good Night .

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxHam