Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

New Thermal Aircraft...

I'm surprised more folks don't point out these shortcomings. When I saw the following video, the controller alone was enough to give me pause. I don't know what Parrot was thinking but it wasn't about serious users that's for sure. The camera is the high point but the controller may be a deal breaker. This users addition of an actual power button is helpful but it certainly should have one from the manufacturer. o_O

You were very thorough in your review.

I'm surprised more folks don't point out these shortcomings. When I saw the following video, the controller alone was enough to give me pause. I don't know what Parrot was thinking but it wasn't about serious users that's for sure. The camera is the high point but the controller may be a deal breaker. This users addition of an actual power button is helpful but it certainly should have one from the manufacturer. o_O
Boy... his video sums it up very nicely... and still kept it!
I’m also surprised he’d take the time to make the 2 RC modifications. His button mod actually looks very nice, I was more interested in what button was used & how he mounted it... might use it elsewhere. :)

With all the other points of dissatisfaction, opening up the RC handset, soldering, drilling & mounting in a sm button is a very determined person to make it work! His comment on tablet mount I fully agree, a fixed tablet mount isn’t functional and I also looked at filing the edge to allow pivot, but was already beginning to see a “return to store” and pondered the tension of the plastic to control tilt... as his flops to max tilt.
Basically needed a new tension pivot ball mount... again not worth the time.

He praised the thermal more than my experience. In comparison, the M2ED holds more complete thermal color pallets, a higher caliber method to blend RGB & Thermal... MSX. Based on other’s videos, the 640 upscaler looks to improve when used with MSX... not to XT 640 caliber, but improved.

Overall, I agree with his review... which to me justified a return. His video is the best overall review I’ve seen... if interested, make your judgement decision via his review.

Reactions: R.P..R
I’m also surprised he’d take the time to make the 2 RC modifications. His button mod actually looks very nice, I was more interested in what button was used & how he mounted it... might use it elsewhere. :)

With all the other points of dissatisfaction, opening up the RC handset, soldering, drilling & mounting in a sm button is a very determined person to make it work! His comment on tablet mount I fully agree, a fixed tablet mount isn’t functional and I also looked at filing the edge to allow pivot, but was already beginning to see a “return to store” and pondered the tension of the plastic to control tilt... as his flops to max tilt.

He praised the thermal more than my experience. In comparison, the M2ED holds more complete thermal color pallets, a higher caliber method to blend RGB & Thermal... MSX. Based on other’s videos, the 640 upscaler looks to improve when used with MSX... not to XT 640 caliber, but improved.

Overall, I agree with his review... which to me justified a return. His video is the best overall review I’ve seen... if interested, make your judgement decision via his review.

I know the feeling and one the side bar, you and I were thrilled to purchase one. I’ve been following your lead after, the EVO, Inspire 2 chats that we’ve had. I’m always humbled by your honest, bro.

My M2P Dual has arrived, and still playing with it. I find it a bit heavier than my M2P. Hope to get it flying next week and I can wait until you get yours, so we can share notes.

I know the feeling and one the side bar, you and I were thrilled to purchase one. I’ve been following your lead after, the EVO, Inspire 2 chats that we’ve had. I’m always humbled by your honest, bro.

My M2P Dual has arrived, and still playing with it. I find it a bit heavier than my M2P. Hope to get it flying next week and I can wait until you get yours, so we can share notes.
How Sweet... you'll have to share your opinion of the upscaling in comparison to the anafi's image overlay. Looking forward to testing that comparison... I saved several Anafi-T images for comparison.

Heavier? Hmmm, interesting? DUAL would be a few grams at most. Wonder if the heated battery weighs much more than standard. Nothing else is different is there??? I'll have to look, is the Enterprise version heavier than M2P or M2Z... if so due to what?

With the 4th approaching, Totally unrelated, but pondered what fireworks looked like as Thermal against the cooler sky using different color pallets. Also pondered how a Flir sensor performed with fast heat movement... as exploding fireworks.

I'll most likely not have a M2ED in time... they haven't credited the Anafi-T yet... if you find an opportunity... :rolleyes: as a pre-declared Hobbyist NonPT107 classified evening ;).... grab a few pics & videos. The strobe and belly LED's meet night lighting requirements... or hand hold.

Might provide some cool artistic shots, even with a 160 sensor.

Received the M2EDual July 3rd... and it has it's strengths but disappointments too. But I will be requesting an return.
The biggest & main bust for me was the lack of JPG-R images! The Anafi-T did produce JPG-R and full Dx of images with FLIR Tools. Actually the Anafi-T images gained several abilities within FLIR Tools. The 2nd strike against the M2ED, was not so impressive MSX overlay and no ability to adjust the degree of overlay; in comparison to the Anafi-T's RGB+Thermal adjustment slider.

Adv Radiometric: As to why, don't know... but I was under the impression both the Anafi-T & M2ED shared a full radiometric sensor, assumed they had the exact same Lepton sensor. Although the Anafi-T is adv radiometric, the M2ED is not based on the ability to provide JPG-R. Although, the M2ED does provide Isotherm, zone box and point temp while actively using the thermal but produces only small JPG images... separate from the RGB. The Anafi-T provides 1 JPG-R image containing both the RBG & Thermal images that the FLIR Tools can separate and manipulate.

I'm surprised DJI didn't provide Adv Radiometric on the M2ED when Parrot did to the Anafi-T. If I hadn't examined myself, I'd question the accuracy.

Without question, the M2ED is a more robust, performing platform. It's overall quality, included features & options are both visually and operationally better in many factors. The flight behavior of the M2E platform and the software are also a major step up in comparison. The radio transmission and the ease to connect & fly are supreme in comparison to the Anafi-T.

Although for the purpose the craft, a small thermal platform: the Adv Radiometric, the ability to adjust overlay of RGB / Thermal images, and the 180 vertical tilt gimbal are strengths held by the Anafi-T for $1000 less.

Food for thought if considering a small thermal.... I'm still chewing on it.

Last edited:
M2ED is a nice first step thermal and I'm guessing most users will stop there. We get what we pay for. Serious infrared imaging requires a larger sensor; XT or XT2. Yes, much more expensive but...

No doubt the XT & XT2 are supreme in many ways, including cost.

But on the 160 lepton sensor.... as a Thermal, the Anafi-T takes the Trophy in my opinion. It offers more XT / XT2 Adv Radiometric diagnostics than the M2ED does... and it's lower cost than the M2ED. On a thermal craft... within the 160 sensor.... the Anafi-T is more bang for the buck than the higher cost M2ED. On a Aircraft Platform... the M2E easily takes it!

If you can't take an image off the craft and examine it's thermal properties diagnostically, then it's just a thermal static image. Sadly that's what the M2ED offers... the Anafi-T offers Adv Radiometric in comparison.

I purchased the Anafi-T initially feeling if it lacks, can always step up to the M2ED.... to my surprise, regarding Thermal.... that wasn't correct.

No doubt the XT & XT2 are supreme in many ways, including cost.

But on the 160 lepton sensor.... as a Thermal, the Anafi-T takes the Trophy in my opinion. It offers more XT / XT2 Adv Radiometric diagnostics than the M2ED does... and it's lower cost than the M2ED. On a thermal craft... within the 160 sensor.... the Anafi-T is more bang for the buck than the higher cost M2ED. On a Aircraft Platform... the M2E easily takes it!

If you can't take an image off the craft and examine it's thermal properties diagnostically, then it's just a thermal static image. Sadly that's what the M2ED offers... the Anafi-T offers Adv Radiometric in comparison.

I purchased the Anafi-T initially feeling if it lacks, can always step up to the M2ED.... to my surprise, regarding Thermal.... that wasn't correct.
As long as the user is happy with the job, that's what matters.

As long as the user is happy with the job, that's what matters.
Couldn't agree more, that's the preferred outcome... a Happy Client.
Although, clients request's are often based more as questions, not knowledge of capabilities.

If it's a "live" active situation, the 2 little 160's will be about equal in Thermal capture... and no match for 640-R sensors. If it's an inspection to collect data and provide reports later... such as a home, roof, electrical, etc... the ability to examine POST JPG-R files is a benefit and can provide more information in the report, additional new views of isotherm or temps zones or change color pallets... all post work. Again, the 160 isn't ideal compared to the superior 640-R sensors, but it is useable if closer range. Many hand held are 80 sensors due to distance.

The JPG-R files can add worth to the little 160 if it's available.
LOL... when my activity increases (and Wife) where I can justify a 640-R, I'll be looking!

Reactions: R.P..R

Well, coming full circle, returned both Anafi-T & M2ED... received the little Anafi-T (again), after comparing the two small 160 sensor platforms. The best of both worlds would be ideal... but not possible, so it's the Anafi-T for JPG-R, 180 Gimbal and Zoom.

I'll be applying the same mods to the RC as the YouTube to help with a few minor issues. Order a nice fitting neon orange wrap from a source in Germany. PARROT ANAFI - SKIN - 34 FARBEN / COLOURS - 3-5x Akku/Sticker/Folie/Wrap/Drohne | eBay

I also have the ANAFI Thermal. So far it has been very dependable. It works well with the FLIR Tools software. Did you guys know that the Mavic images cannot be read with FLIR Tools? I don’t own one so I can’t “confirm” it, but my instructor in thermography class shared that fun fact with me. Yes 160x imager, but provides portability and can get in tight areas. Let’s not forget the regular camera is also 21mp. Regular stills and video are super crisp on it!

The 3x lossless zoom works in thermal mode also.

To dougc, the body styles of the regular ANAFI and the ANAFI T are slightly different, so if you get a skin from that company, it will not fit properly. I contacted the manufacturer a couple of weeks ago about it.

Last edited:
I also have the ANAFI Thermal. So far it has been very dependable. It works well with the FLIR Tools software. Did you guys know that the Mavic images cannot be read with FLIR Tools? I don’t own one so I can “confirm” it, but my instructor in thermography class shared that fun fact with me. Yes 160x imager, but provides portability and can get in tight areas. Let’s not forget the regular camera is also 21mp. Regular stills and video are super crisp on it!

The 3x lossless zoom works in thermal mode also.

To dougc, the body styles of the regular ANAFI and the ANAFI T are slightly different, so if you get a skin from that company, it will not fit properly. I contacted the manufacturer a couple of weeks ago about it.
Great to hear you're enjoying your Anafi-T... and yep, I indicated above the M2ED was not Radiometric and FLIR Tools not useable.

Actually the regular Anafi skin will work... the body is the same, the legs were slightly different length. I too spoke with the Skin designer and I asked him to send me a bit more material that I could cut to cover the little extra length. Then... before it arrived, I returned the Anafi-T.

Additional comments on the M2ED and Anafi-T on this thread....

Alright sports fans here is a teaser of some of my findings.

For this test I attempted to compare the Radiometric capability of the ANAFI against the Duo Pro R.

Results:
FmsCj7xh.png

So far the ANAFI is looking good.
Question, have you used your Anafi-T in total darkness and successfully obtained Thermal images?
In my testing, I stated I had no total darkness thermal with or without RGB overlay.
But I questioning if the Thermal sensor was defective after a recent discussion.

Recently @jaja6009 communicated that his Anafi-T does have total darkness thermal.
This being good news & provided a renewed interest in the Anafi-T, wanted to check with your findings?
Before I assumed a bad sensor on my evaluation, wanted to check your findings too on total darkness.
I noticed your examples were displaying RGB overlay so I'm assuming a lighted environment.
If getting total darkness, does it sense thermal from a useable distance?

Thermal imaging cameras do not rely on light or RGB colors to capture an image. So in total darkness, which I have done several testing, thermal imagers only display surface temperature readings from the surrounding environment.

In a nutshell, If you are in a darken room with the temperature is constant, with no electrical appliance or equipment source, you will be walking blind.

Thermal imaging cameras do not rely on light or RGB colors to capture an image. So in total darkness, which I have done several testing, thermal imagers only display surface temperature readings from the surrounding environment.

In a nutshell, If you are in a darken room with the temperature is constant, with no electrical appliance or equipment source, you will be walking blind.
Understand that, with that said... a human body sitting in a chair in grass, a Roof shortly after sundown will provide the thermal difference. The Anafi-T I tested showed total black despite the differences and despite the handheld unit clearly showing the difference. In a similar manor, another Anafi-T Owner stated his showed thermal image. Without reasoning of reading thermal... I agree it's not dependent on "light", but as the sun fell and it became darkness the thermal image stopped too... again, with known differences in objects within image.

I was wondering how the Anafi-T performed for you in darkness.

To be fair, I initially did get blackened out images but I realized that I had not adjusted the overlay to full thermal. Once I did that, I had thermal image after a moment of the thermal sensor executed an FFC.

I'll hopefully post some videos soon as I am going on a camp and shoot weekend.

Reactions: dougcjohn
To be fair, I initially did get blackened out images but I realized that I had not adjusted the overlay to full thermal. Once I did that, I had thermal image after a moment of the thermal sensor executed an FFC.

I'll hopefully post some videos soon as I am going on a camp and shoot weekend.
Great to hear, but that does kinda indicate I may have had a defective sensor.
I started out RGB Overlay (like a Zenmuse operation) and had nothing when it became fully (or near fully) dark.
I turned off, switched over to Thermal and on a separate test, slide the slider to fully remove the RGB overlay, and still had black image. I was hovering 10-15 ft in ft of me sitting in a chair so there was plenty of time to adjust. I landed and hand held while I continued to experiment... and several times had it only on thermal with no RGB overlay.

As a separate but associated discussion: A bit confusing on the RGB Overlay dependency: if it's overlaying an RGB over the Thermal for Screen View and accepting signal from "both" sensors as apposed to a combined signal coming through the only the RGB channel. Technically the Thermal should still show in either mode since it's not dependent on the RGB signal... the RGB Overlay mode should simply look like the Thermal Only screen view in darkness.

Using the inverse, if in daylight the Thermal doesn't change in intensity on the screen.... as you rotate the craft from shadow to bright light, the RGB reacts & adjusts but the thermal remains fairly constant in screen intensity. If removing light reduces the RGB sensitivity range, it's shouldn't effect the Thermal sensor's sensitivity to display on screen.

Where am I not tracking correct? The combined image of the 2 sensors being transmitted to controller shouldn't loose thermal image when RGB looses image.

I have been eyeing on the Thermal Anafi for a month and thought about doing the Level 1 UAS Thermography class. Is anyone seeing any value of work using the Anafi Thermal? I haven´t pulled the trigger yet. I keep seeing things that is proving that this is a Mav. Pro Dual Enterprise killer if you go head to head only on the thermal imaging.

I have been eyeing on the Thermal Anafi for a month and thought about doing the Level 1 UAS Thermography class. Is anyone seeing any value of work using the Anafi Thermal? I haven´t pulled the trigger yet. I keep seeing things that is proving that this is a Mav. Pro Dual Enterprise killer if you go head to head only on the thermal imaging.
In my opinion....
It has a few advantages the M2EDual lacks, and the M2EDual overall has a strong lead in most areas. The Anafi's strengths: Adv Radiometric, 180 degree gimbal, light & small package, 3 Batteries in pack and adjustable overlay of RGB & Thermal, lack of NFZ geofence, quite craft, and lower cost.

The thermal sensor is the same although the Anafi-T is Adv Radiometric version and can obtain additional diagnostics via Flir Tools in post work.

I feel the Anafi's adjustable RGB overlay provides a more detailed image. Others may disagree.

Until recently, I felt the M2EDual provided a better night Themal view, but that may be due to my Anafi having a faulty sensor.

The 160 resolution isn't optimal for thermal work, but some projects it can be acceptable on the lower end.

Regarding the darkness Thermal... I viewed a few videos that @jaja6009 created that clearly show the Anafi-T performs nicely in darkness and continues to provide radiometric data collection. The RGB/Thermal Overlay mode in his videos provided the same thermal results as the Thermal only mode.... as long as the Thermal circuit was being utilized within the Overlay mode. The RGB has very poor night sensitivity, and you can clearly see black video when RGB is invoked and as you slide the slider towards the Thermal it functions well. It also functioned well in all thermal modes & color templates.

That clearly indicates my previous eval was faulted by a defective Thermal sensor.
Which actually is indirectly good to know... if anyone buys a Anafi-T and doesn't get thermal in darkness you now know that's defective and you're not questioning yourself, send it back and get a good one!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM