Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

GsquaredAerials

Reaction score
The DJI BS30 Charging Station has three charge modes.

Standard Mode

This mode charges one pair of batteries at a time to 100% one after the other. Take note, however, that batteries degrade over time. Keeping the batteries at full charge for lengthy periods will likely hasten that degradation. In addition, batteries charge at a declining rate and charging through that final 10% can take longer. To address this, DJI’s BS30 Intelligent Charging Station provides two more charging options.

Ready-To-Fly Mode

This quickly charges each pair to 90%, taking less than 30 minutes per pair, and keeps them at 90% on standby. This is great for first responders and emergency teams who require their drones and batteries ready to handle emergency rescue missions at a moment’s notice.

Storage Mode

In Storage Mode, each pair of batteries is charged up to 50% If your team has no scheduled drone flights in the near future, this mode is perfect for maintaining your battery’s health.

Having other drones and a Tesla, although vastly different, I know those batteries love to be at 50% when not in constant use to promote longevity. I recently flew the 30T for the aftermath of an F2 tornado that had just ripped through my area and all of my 8 batteries were sitting on the charger in "Storage Mode" which was 50%. I ran out of the house with 4 batteries (2 flights) and each session felt pretty short. I had my low warning alarm at 20% and critical at 10% and was only about 500 yards VLOS from the drone so that was a little un-nerving hearing those alarms. For me, there's a significant difference in air time between 50% and 90% and of course 100%. All things being equal, the air time at 50% with my Air 2 and Mini 3 Pro seem longer but it could be an illusion in my mind.

So my question is this, being that these batteries aren't cheap, is it bad to keep them in the RTF Mode (90% on standby) all of the time like they suggest for first responders/emergency teams? Nearly all of my flights will have plenty of lead time to charge from 50% to 100% but in those other times when I gotta go, I'd much rather have them at 90% if it's not doing long term degradation to them. It's rare that I'll be covering bad weather or some other emergency but I do fly for the fire department when they train and they give me run-n-gun windows to get there because they usually train between calls. I don't yet have a portable dual fuel charger or even a 12 volt power inverter for the BS30 charging station so all I'll have is my 4 flights which should be plenty in most circumstances. But even with hot swap, I'd rather be in the air longer for each flight than coming down more often because I'm starting off from 50%. I know, first world problems but I'm just curious if 90% stand by is fine to use. I wish the station allowed the user to choose which pairs get which mode as I'd rotate each set between 50% and 90% instead of all at 90%. Thanks for any replies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Linval Ebanks
I think thats why they have that storage mode I'm waiting on mine as we speak. This might help you, I have a set of my M3T batteries at or around storage mode and they are plugged in to a wifi outlet I bought on amazon so if I'm out I can start to charge them fully within the wifi outlet app on my phone. The wifi outlet is called kasa smart wifi plug mini, works great!

Reactions: GsquaredAerials
Very cool technology if it works and can handle the throughput load of the BS30 Station. It only charges in pairs so it's not like it's charging all 8.

From my past three instances of needing to run-n-gun with one of the drones, its been two nighttime structure fires and the recent tornado and all while being home. So, I'd probably rather get one of those handheld portable dual fuel generators. That way I can initially start with two stored 50% pairs and let the rest charge to 90% or 100%. I hear those are the best for remote charging where there's no power or don't want to keep a vehicle running with some type of 12v inverter.

After posting the question, I found this video from Steel City Drones in which he did a great video on this subject of charging DJI batteries. The Matrice 30 wasn't out at the time but he's got a similar 6-cell battery on the table. His 60% SOC discussion at 5:55 is nuts as I thought anything above 50% was good enough for some flight.

Last edited:
Very cool technology if it works and can handle the throughput load of the BS30 Station. It only charges in pairs so it's not like it's charging all 8.

From my past three instances of needing to run-n-gun with one of the drones, its been two nighttime structure fires and the recent tornado and all while being home. So, I'd probably rather get one of those handheld portable dual fuel generators. That way I can initially start with two stored 50% pairs and let the rest charge to 90% or 100%. I hear those are the best for remote charging where there's no power or don't want to keep a vehicle running with some type of 12v inverter.

After posting the question, I found this video from Steel City Drones in which he did a great video on this subject of charging DJI batteries. The Matrice 30 wasn't out at the time but he's got a similar 6-cell battery on the table. His 60% SOC discussion at 5:55 is nuts as I thought anything above 50% was good enough for some flight.

Nice, guess I'll be changing mine to 1 day from now on!

Reactions: GsquaredAerials
Nice, guess I'll be changing mine to 1 day from now on!
If you're waiting on the the Matrice 30, the TB30 batteries already come with 1 Day discharge. I just checked all of mine and confirmed the 3.80 voltage across each cell. Actually at 50%, they're all sitting at 3.70 for all 8 batteries but I just got the drone a few weeks ago.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143