Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Questions for part 107 pilots

The toughest part for me was learning to read charts and know 100% what all the symbols stood for. The whole upside-down wedding cake thing takes a while to absorb. All the other guidlines and logic was quite straightforward. But for the life of me, I see no reason to know what a line on the airport runway means, when I can't get within miles of an airport. That's just ridiculous, but it's in the test. And why do I need to know if I'm convicted of a marijuana violation that I can't obtain a Part 107 for a year? That helps me ZERO to be a good drone pilot, but it's on the test.

Actually, at a Class G airport, you can get quite close to the runway. It's important to understand the traffic pattern and helicopter routes.
The line on the runway noting taxi versus runway has nothing to do with piloting a drone, regardless of the airport class and how close you can get. It's just a stupid question for Part 107 that some moron threw in there for no logical reason. It makes me wonder just how smart the FAA is, as questions like that imply a lack of intelligence.

Reactions: No Sheep Designs
The line on the runway noting taxi versus runway has nothing to do with piloting a drone, regardless of the airport class and how close you can get. It's just a stupid question for Part 107 that some moron threw in there for no logical reason. It makes me wonder just how smart the FAA is, as questions like that imply a lack of intelligence.

John I can't see your point. You do realize that a sUAS pilot can be a lot more than a QuadRotor operator? There are some fairly large Fixed Wing units that operate under Part 107 that do operate on and near airports. Believe it or not some utilize taxi and runways for certain missions. That's why it's important to know these things. We've got to understand that quadrotors are not the end-all in the sUAS world.

There is a local company here, 901 Drones, that offers a Part 107 prep course. My day job paid for a couple of us to take the class, which included the Prepware book and online practice tests. I'm already comfortable with aviation in general, as well as flying drones (started with RC fixed wing, moved to helis, and then to quads) but having someone guide us through what to expect on the test and making sure we really knew the info and not just how to take the test was a great asset.

After the class, I took practice tests through Prepware until I was scoring over 90 on every test. Then I went and took the real thing. Missed one question. ... dang it ....

Reactions: BigAl07
I'd have to disagree with you, John. If you are piloting a drone on airport property it's pretty important that you are able to distinguish a runway from a taxiway.
Yes, good point, I agree. If you're doing commercial work at the airport, this is good to know.

So what about the marijuana question? How's that relevant? :D

If you don't have any marijuana convictions, there is no direct relevance to you. If you did have a conviction, it's good to know the regulation before you apply for a Remote Pilot certificate and break the law. The FAA also wants you to be able to provide valid information to others. If you're going to be a pilot of any type, you should be a subject matter expert.

Just throwing it out there - I get that the test is hard and probably something that you've never had to deal with/think about before. I am a commercial pilot too and trust me, this is all good info to know, and is really just the 'bare bones' of the manned world. The FAA tests can be a bear though - a lot of looking at what they're "really" asking vs how the question is worded.

I have my flight instructor cert, so if you have any questions about anything feel free to reach out.

Reactions: Russ Still
If you don't have any marijuana convictions, there is no direct relevance to you. If you did have a conviction, it's good to know the regulation before you apply for a Remote Pilot certificate and break the law. The FAA also wants you to be able to provide valid information to others. If you're going to be a pilot of any type, you should be a subject matter expert.
Well, the question is non relevant to safe flying, it's certainly not test worthy IMO, when many other issues are. I hope they refine the test questions with time. I will never be an expert on marijuana, and the question was offensive.

Remotepilot101 was great for me... very modular and easy to digest amounts of info. I was fortunate to get it when it was only $99 and passed the test easily.

Reactions: jwaitkus
I mostly used the free online materials and videos. The Tony Northrup one was the best for me. I did pay for a course (can't remember which one... not Gold Seal). It wasn't expensive, but ultimately not all that helpful either.

I used sportys.com "Remote Pilot Study Buddy" program. It has a very good user interface and you can filter your practice tests by subject matter. Additionally, their support was great. I had a couple of questions/issues with some mapping questions and they responded with clear explanations.

Extremely reasonably priced; somewhere around $20

Last edited:
What did you do to prepare for the test?
What was your total cost?

I have been flying drones non-commercially for about 4 years and I would like to add them to our commercial offerings. I get spam emails from companies offering to help getting part 107. Just trying to find out exactly what to expect with this.

Thanks!
I purchased book called " Remote Pilot Test Prep" from Amazon. Link here and signed up for classes with UAV Coach. Best choice out there! I had no knowledge about aviation rules, weather, sectionals, airspace and with UAV Coach I past the test with 95%

I have been flying drones non-commercially for about 4 years and I would like to add them to our commercial offerings. I get spam emails from companies offering to help getting part 107. Just trying to find out exactly what to expect with this.

Thanks!
I am taking a course from

Thanks!
Gold seal course ... Very informative, guarantee passing score ... If you are going for the 107 ... I recommend this course

I also was one of those that didn’t spend any $ by studying The FAA Materal plus anything I could find online. YouTube had a lot of material. I passed with a 93.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143