Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Questions for part 107 pilots

What did you do to prepare for the test?
What was your total cost?

I have been flying drones non-commercially for about 4 years and I would like to add them to our commercial offerings. I get spam emails from companies offering to help getting part 107. Just trying to find out exactly what to expect with this.

Thanks!
Good morning. I took an online course from remotepilot101.com I was extremely satisfied with the instruction and passed the 107 test the first time I took it. If I remember I paid about $150 for it and the same to take the test at an FAA facility.

Do all of the above but you don't need pay for any classes unless you are struggling. I watched Tony Northrups video every morning for 2 days. I also memorized the 100 test questions and took the test. I got 87 which is about average for most I think. Play close attention to TAF, METAR and study the charts and you will pass with flying carpets.
There was one question where it asked what was the ceiling for the class c at such and such airport. Now normally it would be even numbers like 2000 or 3000 but the only answers were 887, 1187 or 3287 (guessing) I searched that chart for a good 15 minutes then guessed at the answer - guest correctly.
The key is to pass and learn something. The rest will come with experience.

I am studying now using gold seal ground school and I find it very informative and easy to understand. Will be taking my exam in 2-3 weeks. I probably am studying to hard, but I do want to know this material frontwards and backwards.

Reactions: Russ Still

I have been flying drones non-commercially for about 4 years and I would like to add them to our commercial offerings. I get spam emails from companies offering to help getting part 107. Just trying to find out exactly what to expect with this.

Thanks!

I used Remote Pilot 101 along with Sporty's Test Prep. Remote Pilot 101 is good to get to the basics. In regards to subject matter in RP101 such as Airspace and Weather I also used Youtube to get a good grasp on the individual subjects. The Sporty's Test Prep is great in regard to constant updates and various ways of questions and answers with explanations. It also helps to take notes, you will remember the material. You need a good understanding of the material, not just memorizing questions and answers. When I went for my test the answers to the questions came as soon as I read the question and I totally relaxed which made it all that much easier. I finished in under an hour with a 90. I got a little sloppy at the end and wanted to get out of there. I felt that I had the 70 in the first half of the test.

I used Drone Pilot Ground School. Very thorough videos covering the information. I went over most of them more than once. Extra attention to the weather and airspace sections. I bought the package and scored 95 a month later. I am particularly happy with the fact that they stay in touch with ongoing industry information and that I have access to their materials from now on. It's more than just passing the test.
Phil

I went through the remotepilot101 course. It was super helpful and nicely presented. Jason is a really solid, nice guy who knows his stuff.

And it’s for life so I have something to refer back to when it’s time to renew my license.

The 3DR website has the best practice tests that I found, and they are *free*!
https://3dr.com/faa/drone-practice-tests/
The majority of my exam questions were on reading charts. I actually bought a paper chart (they are cheap!) to help me study.

Also, I used the AeroWeather app on my phone to practice METAR and TAF. Its a free app, and you can switch between raw and decoded to help you learn. Every day for a week straight, read the current and future weather conditions to your spouse using METAR and TAF, and you will do great on the exam. Your spouse will get a little glassy-eyed hearing about it after a couple days, but they will recover.

Reactions: rfaaj
Agree with Jesse G above that all the info is available online. The best place to start is www.faa.gov/usa; all the material is available here for free, even the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (FAA-H-8083-25B) in PDF. I gotta admit, I'm not the best at cracking a book, or PDF, though and then studying hard, even after buying the printed version of the Pilots Handbook on Amazon, so I knew the best option for me was a course online or through some other school. I opted for the AMA's recommended Part 107 course through FlyRobotics.Com. It cost @ $170 over a year ago. I went through the entire course in @ 3-weeks and passed the test. An interesting note about getting the FAA's Remote Pilot Certificate is that you do not have to show any flying proficiency with a drone; only that you know the material for the 60 multiple choice questions on the test. Best of luck.

Thanks!

Everything you need in online. Not sure why you’d shell out perhaps hundreds.

Between the 3dr site and the FAA study guide I got 98%. 3dr doesn’t cover some things as fully or in depth as the FAA, such as cloud types for example. So I found the FAA materials added detail to 3dr and was able to clarify some hazy areas.

Best on the test!

https://3dr.com/faa/study-guides/

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...s/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf

It's an easy test. I agree with others who have said it's probably not worth paying for a course but if you do I'm sure you'll get good results. I just studied the material on the FAA website, particularly the practice test, as well as some other things Google turned up for a few hours the day before my test and passed with a 93 having no prior knowledge of anything aviation related. Learning how to read a sectional chart is the most important thing and that alone will probably be enough to get you a passing grade. Beyond that, I would recommend knowing how to read METAR and TAF weather reports and making sure you read the full text of Part 107 in the CFR (it's not long) to answer any questions to do with the letter of the law.

The toughest part for me was learning to read charts and know 100% what all the symbols stood for. The whole upside-down wedding cake thing takes a while to absorb. All the other guidlines and logic was quite straightforward. But for the life of me, I see no reason to know what a line on the airport runway means, when I can't get within miles of an airport. That's just ridiculous, but it's in the test. And why do I need to know if I'm convicted of a marijuana violation that I can't obtain a Part 107 for a year? That helps me ZERO to be a good drone pilot, but it's on the test.

Actually it is quite simple and very important to understand Airport Operations. The FAA anticipates that when and if you receive your certificate you may be asked to do an aerial job at an Airport. Being in the middle of Runway 30 taking a scenic of the Terminal when a 747 is landing is not a healthy thing. I find that all of the topic questions are there for a reason. A lot of thought went into the test. You may not remember if you were convicted or not if you are still using the stuff. Nuff Said.

Reactions: BigAl07
I purchased the Gliem UAS class for $50 at MyPilotStore & passed the the test a week later with an 87 or so. I’m still reading a lot to get clearer and a deeper understanding but that’s all it took to get legal.

I also went through the remotepilot101 course. After watching all of their videos and taking half a dozen practice tests, I passed easily.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM