Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

DJI doesn't want to be banned in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that was an interesting read... any bruises? Some very factual, some tin hat, some... well some just text wars.

My 2cents on the cyber discussion:
I've been exposed to IT for sometime and attended several Ethical Hacking & Countermeasure and IT Forensic classes taught by elite companies that travel to other countries to perform investigations, data forensics, and analyze strengths to block & breach. We all know where the company "heads" of these companies originated.

What the media blasts...including the last few years...Yawn!!! In comparison to actual espionage with cyber tatics, the "leader" in this arena is USA, and many of the tools other countries use were developed within our walls of secrets. One thing always presented... anytime you hear it was "xxxx" that did the act, breach, etc you pretty much know it wasn't them. Everyone leaves trace to the "other" guy. Incidentally, open any malware incident browser that shows active cyber attacks, notice that our own companies launch hundreds attacks upon other companies within country every day.... that accounts for a large percentage of cyber attacks. Notice "whom" is always in the top 3 attackers Globally... Russia is seldom near the top 5.

Another thought path... we technically don't do various "acts" of cyber but that doesn't dismiss that we don't have "others" do the collecting and provide the data. Also keep in mind that unless you catch data packets "live" or in the act... the analysis is speculative since no breach is ever direct route and they're much better concealing or eluding their tracks than offensive actions. Whom we have collect our data would amaze some, and wouldn't shock others... but it's not a clean good guy / bad guy game. We do play & exchange with others that are not allies... everyone exchanges at some degree.

The majority of the data collected by sUAV is often in the marketing or marketing espionage strategy, the hype of compromise of power plants, roof top hardware, over view of military compounds, etc that sUAV's could provide is more easily obtainable from public mapping services, companies own web sites, and believe it, a super source many Social Media sites... let the citizens provide the data to you. Last time I examined security ops, you can't take a sUAV into secure room, or sensitive environments. The sUAV collects environmental (GPS, altitude, temps, etc) and possible video in one direction. The "secrets" or critical data an sUAV is able to compile and upload to mother probably isn't near the data available elsewhere 24x7.

I'd really like to see more sUAV made by USA companies, but that pretty much isn't going to occur while the income scales for workers between countries is so drastically different. At the same time, I'm not looking to pay $400 for a pair a jeans when a Chinese Levi is obtainable for $50 or a bit more after trade adjusted. That is also displayed in sUAV business within State LEO, FD and various services... and with the recent suggested doors opening, evidently the Feds are interested too.

Does that dismiss other countries data mining or cyber attacks? Certainly not. But it also indicates that various departments within our own govt are working with whom we "the public" may feel is not a ideal. Our access to understand the whole matrix of operations is minimal and it certainly won't be media or public communications that keep us informed of the facts... they'll maintain the 2 hand deception: Watch the Left... notice the Right?

Last edited:
See, you got me all excited over nothing. Guess now my only option is to crash the gate at area 51 with the rest of the wackos!!!
As strange as it sounds..... Those Wackos probably know more than anyone outside the top Brass.
LOL... you might enjoy the outing if you can avoid the "killer drones" looking for you! :rolleyes:

Hilarious, It is a good read... and sadly funny! Why are Govt devices being used to install ANY personal "play" apps for personnel with positions of potential penetration threats! Geeze, they don't learn very fast do they... if compromised, "Whom" do they blame for this one!

Plus, another media miss-lead... the number of apps & programs used every day that have Russian developers is huge! Most are not supportive of Russian Govt. Actually some of the best security tools used by many security agencies have Russian developers associated... and other than the Federal Govt's silly ban, remain very common in security organizations.

" In its privacy terms, the company said it can collect any of a user’s uploaded photos as well as data on the user’s visited websites and other information. "

IOW, you don't know what they are collecting or how it will be used but you can rest assured it won't be used for your benefit.

" In its privacy terms, the company said it can collect any of a user’s uploaded photos as well as data on the user’s visited websites and other information. "

IOW, you don't know what they are collecting or how it will be used but you can rest assured it won't be used for your benefit.
To add to that...

As with most Apps, or Web sites you join... including social media sites, dropbox, etc.. their fine print stipulates similar. The essence is your "data" isn't private on pretty much any site unless it specifically states it's held privately and not shared. Dropbox has been discouraged from Govt devices for years due it Servers not residing within USA and it's data share policies. Even several Banks or various financial sites state your financial data will he held in confidence, although they have the right to use demographics.

Last edited:
But they can't be siphoning off your photography or videos.
The drone has no way to send that much data to anywhere.
The imagery is on the SD card, you pull the card and transfer the files to your computer, DJI never sees it.
If you think they can siphon your work and are concerned, it's a very simple matter to make sure your imagery stays with you.

But they can't be siphoning off your photography or videos.
The drone has no way to send that much data to anywhere.
The imagery is on the SD card, you pull the card and transfer the files to your computer, DJI never sees it.
If you think they can siphon your work and are concerned, it's a very simple matter to make sure your imagery stays with you.

They can't syphon my work because I don't use DJI for work anymore. All of my data goes on a computer that is not on the network. I retain complete control over the data and how its used.

They can't syphon my work because I don't use DJI for work anymore. All of my data goes on a computer that is not on the network. I retain complete control over the data and how its used.
You didn't read what I posted.
They couldn't siphon your work if you did use DJI.

You didn't read what I posted.
They couldn't siphon your work if you did use DJI.

For DJI products, its also in your flight logs. At least thumbnails are. But again, I don't care because I am in control of my data. I just don't use DJI where sensitive data is involved.

Little Eye Opener on Cyber espionage...
First off, this doesn't really apply to our End User group... sorry, we're not a "value target" to receive much attention to make a threat concern or to compromise/expose themselves. But to feel you're protected and unable to be compromised by a few elective actions or selection of product... You're not. We're actually extremely easy targets... we just don't realize how easy.

On the subject of cyber espionage, the best is the silent... normally on high value targets, most won't be discovered until it's done... that may be 1-4 Years after it's been collecting. That's beyond the scope of this little tid-bit of cyber warfare discussion.

Within this forum or sUAV forums, or even consumer sUAV's, we tend to focus on one brand... but if it's Chinese produced or even foreign produced, it's an easy "potential" you "could" be targeted. Several say, nah... not my brand, I'm not connected, or it doesn't broadcast. So, does it collect, does it get plugged into something else, does it have wireless potential, did you install it's brand software on computer, do you use foreign hardware or USA hardware that uses chips & circuits manufactured by a potential threat... the answer is YES and that makes you vulnerable in so many ways. Even your home sized Wireless WAP or Switches are foreign manufactured. Another item I often hear: "well I turn off the Cellular or Wireless so I'm Offline". Two points; 1) you'll eventually turn On device, join or connect to something providing the path; and data & bits have endless patience to time and 2) The little informative ICONs on your display are User Interface, they don't have to be displayed to turn on or be active. You could be pulse broadcasting when it all looks like it's turned off.

Pictures or any file made or touched by a piece of hardware from a foreign manufacture... most Gimbal cameras are Chinese manufacture; can have various programs on chipsets that have instructions to embed within the file bits a self running program, malware or instruction script; process called Steganography. As an example: the telemetry file is a just a few KB... easy to transfer. You later take the "unconnected" SD Card out of camera and place in Computer to transfer photos & video files and you could be completing the next trigger event to pass to computer. It'll then move to computer, take up a nice comfy hiding spot, monitor your PC activity and identify a dead or idle period.

Do you have Smart TV's, Smart Interactive devices, Media sticks to access Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc... and those TV's and USB Media Communication sticks are made where? Most are foreign, and most from the countries probably with an interest to collect.

Feel protected because you have malware / virus detection software. You do realize that until the signature is identified or "typed" it's an "unknown" and all but a few simpler types are not detected. Highly designed Govt level software can travel, live and pass on systems that have installed extremely good malware detection tools residing and never be detected. Most Malware Anti-Virus state it can detect "Malicious malware", that's malware written to do an action... silent code is written to not be malicious or threat.

As a packaged Retail product... the USB Sticks or SD Card purchased. Every notice they always have nice little useful programs on the media... software on new media is a potential too, regardless if you immediately format. Do you notice when you insert a stick or card, especially the first time how it takes a short bit to connect & attach as a drive? That all transpires before the option to format.

If there was strong desire by the "Threat Source" to breach or compromise using a sUAV, TV, Camera, etc... it's not a difficult challenge to accomplish. If our $39 to $2000 anti-malware software / hardware was so capable of detection, that'd be an easy preventive solution, heck that would solve all cyber warfare... but that doesn't begin to trap or detect the so-called international cyber threats. It's "Their" lack of interest in obtaining, not your preventive counter-measure preventing a breach. Our preventive counter measures as an End User handles the little stuff and threats.

That goes back to the threat and compromise obtainable off sUAV devices... I really can't think of any useful material I'd need to obtain off the UAV when it'd be so much easier getting the same material down stream in your systems, web sites or social medial sites. The bigger vital stuff, can be obtained off several mapping, GIS, University or other public source. The primary data collected isn't really threating, it's more market or market espionage collection. If that's concerning, then avoid Google, Amazon, and any other Internet Sites... they too are collecting massive marketing data.

Last edited:
Reactions: dronecyclops

Shot! Amazon has collected so much of my info that I’m constantly and unconsciously buying from them [emoji23]

No...not you too:eek:

It be amazing how people having no concept of other people’s backgrounds and specialties will color their judgement of those people because of things they don’t understand.

The average person doesn’t know squat about operational security and even less about IT security aside from what they read in their corporate inbox referencing new malware/ spyware/trojan threats. Espionage, be it corporate, military, or political, is a word they’ve encountered in newspapers causing them to think about the last James Bond movie they watched. People that make or made their livelihood in those fields have a much broader understanding of what’s involved and don’t take it lightly.

Knowing DCJ’s background I have considerable respect for what he presents, knowing that some or a lot of it can be quite restrained for special reasons.

I don’t always agree with him but that in no way alters my respect for his knowledge and experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143