Votes: 5 71.4%
  • DIY Hexa or Octo+FLIR Duo Pro R

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Better to have both

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SergeM

Reaction score
Cheers to everybody from Kazakhstan! I have been playing with the idea of starting thermal inspection business with UAV for quite a long time.

After deep and exhausting searching through forums I came up with two solutions, which are the most sutable ones for given task. Of course you all know about marvellous Matrice series and their magic(and pricey) XT gimbals. But it seems to me that there is substantial lack of info concerning other solutions. For example, newly announced Flir Duor Pro R 2in1 camera have direct live video streaming through HDMI in conjunction with full-fledged remote control through PWM-connector. Same goes for outstanding Gremsy S1 gimbal(see links below).

I am also currently building my F550 (NAZA M&E305) flying beast for the sake of pure fun and practice.

Well, here is my direct comparison of these two very different approaches.
Thermal Drone Solution
What dou you think? Does Matrice indeed justifies its huge price tag? What are the main disadvantages of DIY-solution? Does it really matters to have visible range camera on board working simultaneously with FLIR?

It would be great to hear from somebody with experience)

Serge

Gremsy S1: Gremsy S1 - Gremsy
FLIR DUO PRO R: FLIR Duo Pro R HD Dual-Sensor Thermal Camera for Drones | FLIR Systems

Last edited:
I would also like to add my own Pros for each solution:

Pros of Matrice M200+XT: IP43 rating, collision avoidance, LiPo heating, ready for XT2 upgrade, ready for Zenmuse X4S, ease of preparation

Pros of DIY+FLIR DPR: 2in1 camera, redundancy(cuz its HEXA power), easy and cheap repair

Absolutely yes as there is no option to upgrade to 2in1 camera.

Or you can go DJI M600 Pro + Gremsy S1 and Duo Pro R, way cheaper than the M200. You lose the water protection and self heating batteries but it has extra redundancy in the flight controller and with 6 motors.

Plus you can do a large number of payloads including DJI and custom payloads.

Absolutely yes as there is no option to upgrade to 2in1 camera.
Oh you can do 2 in 1, its now the DJI XT2. So you can do 2 in 1 on the Inspire.

I would not bother with the inspire personally. I get nervous flying that much money on a quad copter.

Only other disadvantage to the M600 is that the M200/Inspire 2 batteries have a better battery management options with that suitcase charger that discharges to storage level and cycles batteries

Or you can go DJI M600 Pro + Gremsy S1 and Duo Pro R, way cheaper than the M200. You lose the water protection and self heating batteries but it has extra redundancy in the flight controller and with 6 motors.

Plus you can do a large number of payloads including DJI and custom payloads.

No. M600 Pro actually costs more than it's water-protected small brother. Check the prices.

Here is an example(both are shipping from Hong Kong, both are in new condition):

DJI Matrice 200 in STOCK | eBay

DJI Matrice 600 Pro Drone profesional - EN STOCK 6958265132148 | eBay

Last edited:
Oh you can do 2 in 1, its now the DJI XT2. So you can do 2 in 1 on the Inspire.

I would not bother with the inspire personally. I get nervous flying that much money on a quad copter.

Only other disadvantage to the M600 is that the M200/Inspire 2 batteries have a better battery management options with that suitcase charger that discharges to storage level and cycles batteries
And again - no. The XT2 is only compatible with Matrice series.
A quote from DJI representative: "XT2 doesn't work with Inspire series products at the moment".

As I said - I did some proper research before making my option list.

Last edited:
Whilst there is no confirmed compatibility for the WIND series - the WIND4 has a better IP rating than the M200 series and it should be able to take the XT2.

And again - no. The XT2 is only compatible with Matrice series.
A quote from DJI representative: "XT2 doesn't work with Inspire series products at the moment".

As I said - I did some proper research before making my option list.

Something else about the XT2: You must run the PILOT app. Go 4 FCS won't work for the FLIR.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM